I used Sin instead of Cos for a triangle.

In summary, the conversation was about making mistakes and how they can be frustrating and costly. One person shared a humorous anecdote about ruining a T-shirt due to a mistake, while another talked about the importance of avoiding mistakes that can have serious consequences. The conversation also touched upon common mistakes made in exams.
frankR
I just spent the last half hour trying to find my error in a problem. I checked my physics, my calculations, everything looked fine. It ended up being the simplest mistake I could make. I used Sin instead of Cos for a triangle. What a waste of time, it's the simplest mistakes you have to watch out for..

Physics news on Phys.org
Been there, done that, got the T shirt, washed it to the point of destruction, now it's a rag, used to wipe up after my mistakes!

(Just Humor...sorta)

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Been there, done that, got the T shirt, washed it to the point of destruction, now it's a rag, used to wipe up after my mistakes!

LOL! Mistakes that cost lives or money are the ones you need to watch out for. In your case, you paid for laundry detergent, hot water and electricity and a ruined T-shirt.:smile:

Originally posted by frankR
LOL! Mistakes that cost lives or money are the ones you need to watch out for. In your case, you paid for laundry detergent, hot water and electricity and a ruined T-shirt.:smile:

Agreed, the lives ones are tricky mistakes if your in that position, I'm not at present.

the T shirt wasn't ruined by the mistake, but worn out from time passing, I'm old, Ya see.

it's the simplest mistakes you have to watch out for
Well, not for people in my school
The simplest mistakes they do are like :
2*(1/2) = 4
1/(1/2) = 1/2
1-2=1

And stuff like that, but that is in exams, so that is when they are in a hurry.

1. Why is it important to use the correct trigonometric function for a triangle?

Using the correct trigonometric function is crucial in accurately calculating the sides and angles of a triangle. This is because each function (sin, cos, tan) represents a specific relationship between the sides of a triangle and its angles. Using the wrong function can lead to incorrect calculations and ultimately, wrong results.

2. What happens if I use Sin instead of Cos for a triangle?

If you use Sin instead of Cos for a triangle, you will be calculating the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, rather than the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. This will result in a different value and could potentially lead to incorrect calculations.

3. How can I tell which trigonometric function to use for a triangle?

The trigonometric function to use for a triangle depends on the given information. If you have the length of the opposite and hypotenuse, you would use Sin. If you have the length of the adjacent and hypotenuse, you would use Cos. And if you have the length of the opposite and adjacent, you would use Tan.

4. Can I use any trigonometric function for a triangle?

No, you cannot use any trigonometric function for a triangle. The three main trigonometric functions (Sin, Cos, Tan) are specifically used for right triangles. Other trigonometric functions such as Sec, Csc, and Cot are used for non-right triangles.

5. What are some consequences of using the wrong trigonometric function for a triangle?

Using the wrong trigonometric function for a triangle can lead to incorrect calculations and results. It can also cause confusion and make it difficult to solve the triangle accurately. Additionally, using the wrong function can lead to errors in other mathematical calculations that rely on the triangle's measurements.