Show that two subsequences are monotonic and bounded

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounded
In summary: Is this monotonic and bounded?Re: show that two subsequences are monotonic and boundedI found $a_{n+2}-a_{n}=\frac{3-a_{n}^{2}}{2+a_{n}}$.Is this monotonic and bounded?
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! :)
Let the sequence $(a_{n})$ with $a_{1}>0$ and $a_{n+1}=1+\frac{2}{1+a_{n}}$.Show that the subsequences $a_{2k}$ and $a_{2k-1}$ are monotonic and bounded.Find the limit $\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}$,if it exists.
Do I have to show separately that the two subsequences are monotonic and bounded??Or is there an other way to show it??Could I for example show that $a_{n}$ is monotonic and bounded??

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: show that two subsequences are monotonic and bounded

evinda said:
Hey again! :)
Let the sequence $(a_{n})$ with $a_{1}>0$ and $a_{n+1}=1+\frac{2}{1+a_{n}}$.Show that the subsequences $a_{2k}$ and $a_{2k-1}$ are monotonic and bounded.Find the limit $\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}$,if it exists.
Do I have to show separately that the two subsequences are monotonic and bounded?? Or is there an other way to show it?? Could I for example show that $a_{n}$ is monotonic and bounded??

They're probably hinting at a way to figure this out: find $a_{n+2}$ in terms of $a_{n}$. If you can reason from this expression adequately, you can kill both subsequences with one stone, to mix metaphors. The two subsequences they tell you to work with both have this in common: each term is two away from every other term in the original sequence.

Ackbach said:
They're probably hinting at a way to figure this out: find $a_{n+2}$ in terms of $a_{n}$. If you can reason from this expression adequately, you can kill both subsequences with one stone, to mix metaphors. The two subsequences they tell you to work with both have this in common: each term is two away from every other term in the original sequence.

I haven't understood.. (Worried) Could you explain it further to me??

evinda said:
I haven't understood.. (Worried) Could you explain it further to me??

Ok, let's do this one thing at a time. Can you find $a_{n+2}$ in terms only of $a_{n}$?

Ackbach said:
Ok, let's do this one thing at a time. Can you find $a_{n+2}$ in terms only of $a_{n}$?

I found: $a_{n+2}=1+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{a_{n}}}$ .How can I continue?

evinda said:
I found: $a_{n+2}=1+\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{a_{n}}}$ .How can I continue?

Hmm. That's not what I get:
$$a_{n+2}= \frac{3+2a_{n}}{2+a_{n}}.$$
Can you show your working?

Ackbach said:
Hmm. That's not what I get:
$$a_{n+2}= \frac{3+2a_{n}}{2+a_{n}}.$$
Can you show your working?

I tried it again and found the same result.. :)

evinda said:
I tried it again and found the same result.. :)

Do you mean the same result as you got before, or the same result that I got?

Ackbach said:
Do you mean the same result as you got before, or the same result that I got?

The same that you get!

Ah, so we're on the same page now. Can you compare $a_{n+2}$ to $a_{n}$ somehow? Maybe you can do $a_{n+2}-a_{n}$ or maybe $a_{n+2}/a_{n}$? If we can show this is monotonic and bounded, we'd be done with that part.

Ackbach said:
Ah, so we're on the same page now. Can you compare $a_{n+2}$ to $a_{n}$ somehow? Maybe you can do $a_{n+2}-a_{n}$ or maybe $a_{n+2}/a_{n}$? If we can show this is monotonic and bounded, we'd be done with that part.

I found $a_{n+2}-a_{n}=\frac{3-a_{n}^{2}}{2+a_{n}}$.

Related to Show that two subsequences are monotonic and bounded

1. What does it mean for a subsequence to be monotonic and bounded?

A subsequence is considered monotonic if its terms either consistently increase or consistently decrease. It is bounded if its values are limited or contained within a specific range.

2. How do you show that two subsequences are monotonic and bounded?

To show that two subsequences are monotonic and bounded, you can use mathematical techniques such as induction or proof by contradiction. You can also use visual aids such as graphs or charts to demonstrate the monotonic and bounded nature of the subsequences.

3. Are monotonic and bounded subsequences always convergent?

No, not all monotonic and bounded subsequences are convergent. While monotonicity and boundedness are necessary conditions for convergence, there are other factors such as the rate of change and the starting point of the subsequence that also determine convergence.

4. Can a subsequence be monotonic but not bounded?

Yes, a subsequence can be monotonic but not bounded. This means that the terms of the subsequence consistently increase or consistently decrease, but there is no limit or range in which the values are contained.

5. How is the monotonic and bounded nature of subsequences important in mathematics and science?

The monotonic and bounded nature of subsequences is important in mathematics and science as it allows for the analysis and prediction of patterns and trends in data. It also helps in determining the convergence or divergence of sequences, which has implications in various fields such as economics, physics, and computer science.