Engineering & Physics College Schedule | Major in Two Subjects

In summary, the conversation is about the participants discussing their college schedules, with a focus on physics and engineering related courses. Some mention their preferences for certain graphics packages and the potential job opportunities after graduation. They also discuss their future plans and the difficulty of their current and upcoming semesters.
kyle_soule
Just curious, what are some of all your tough college schedules (physics related preferably, but all others are welcome)

My schedule (which won't be tough) is:

Engineering Seminar 7:30a-8:20 T
Engineering Graphics 10:30a-11:45 TR
Engineering Graphics Lab 3:30p-5:00 R
Calculus I 12:00p-12:50 MTWRF
Chemistry I 8:30a-9:20 MWF
Chemistry I Lab 6:30p-9:00 R

it should be fun. My major is engineering, as you can see.

Next year I am transferring to a college that allows for a double major - engineering and physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calc/Analytic Geometry MTWTF
Visual System Development MW
Electronic Info Retrieval MW
Understand/Use Fin Statement MT
Organizations MT

Next semester I'm taking...

ASTR 340 Spherical Astronomy
MATH 342A Methods Applied Math I
PHYS 350 Classical Mechanics
PHYS 354 Modern Physics

Should be fun, not. :)

My semester:

ENAE 432 Vibration and Aeroelasticity
ENAE 441 Space Navigation and Guidance
ENAE 457 Space Propulsion and Power
ENAE 483 Principles of Space Systems Design
ENAE 488E Topics in Aerospace Engineering: Embedded Real-Time Systems

I have no idea how hard these classes are going to be. I heard that the hardest class in the curriculum is behind me (which is a relief, because I was *thaaaaat* close to stabbing the professor in the head with a #2 pencil).

The last class is going to be *schweet*
The final project will be programming the sensors and actuators (using C++) of a robotic submersible and running it in the neutral bouyancy lab.

I'm totally psyched.

Do you know what graphics package you're going to be learning, Kyle?

Hardest schedule I've had so far was last semester:

Linear Algebra: 8:00AM MWF =B (missed the final due to vomitting)
Advance Comp English: 9:00AM MWF = B
Basic Astronomy: 10:00AM MWF = A
Political Science: 11:00AM MWF = B
Speech: 6:00PM-9:50PM M = B
Thermo/light Physics: 7:40AM TTh = A
Basic Music: 9:30AM TTH = A
Circuit Analysis: 12:30PM = A

It was mainly GE, but it was still tough.

I was disappointed in my grades, was close to getting A's in the classes I got B's in.

I don't know how many classes I'll take next quarter at UC Davis. I'd like a big load though. I get my classes this thursday.

Originally posted by enigma
Do you know what graphics package you're going to be learning, Kyle?

Unfortunately not. Soon I will, I think.

Perhaps you could give me an idea of what kind there are to offer. I want to do something in astronomy and/or physics, not engineering, this is the only option in that area that the college my parents are making me attend my first year offers.

Computer Graphics/Drafting packages interrest me a bit, because I'm paying my way through school as a CAD monkey... er... drafter. That's why I asked.

If the class is any good they'll teach you ProEngineer (most likely as it's an industry standard), Solid Works, Solid Edge (both are less well known than ProE, but less expensive and not quite as powerful), or Catia (REALLY powerful software, but very expensive and marketed toward specific industries). Get good at any of these, and you can price your worth up at least 5K once you graduate (for engineering disciplines).

If the class is not so great, you'll end up learning AutoCAD which industry standard for architects and some engineering disciplines. Their standard solid modeling package sucks (no... I mean really sucks. I have done projects for work on it.), and their upgrades are not as extensive other software. Still, it's used a good deal in the field, and will look good on a resume. For any field which deals with building construction, you can bet on needing at least rudimentary knowledge of AutoCAD.

If the class is bad, you'll learn some other no-name, 2-d, non-parametric drafting software.

I try to do my general education requirements in the summer and take all physics and math in the real year. I don't like to mix in the crap with the good stuff.

last semester:
quantum mechanics 1
solid state physics
statistical mechancis
electrodynamics 2
electronics lab

next semester:
quantum mechanics 2
nuclear physics
senior project (about superconductors)
real analysis 1
abstract algebra 1
error correcting codes

Originally posted by enigma
Computer Graphics/Drafting packages interrest me a bit, because I'm paying my way through school as a CAD monkey... er... drafter. That's why I asked.

If the class is any good they'll teach you ProEngineer (most likely as it's an industry standard), Solid Works, Solid Edge (both are less well known than ProE, but less expensive and not quite as powerful), or Catia (REALLY powerful software, but very expensive and marketed toward specific industries). Get good at any of these, and you can price your worth up at least 5K once you graduate (for engineering disciplines).

If the class is not so great, you'll end up learning AutoCAD which industry standard for architects and some engineering disciplines. Their standard solid modeling package sucks (no... I mean really sucks. I have done projects for work on it.), and their upgrades are not as extensive other software. Still, it's used a good deal in the field, and will look good on a resume. For any field which deals with building construction, you can bet on needing at least rudimentary knowledge of AutoCAD.

If the class is bad, you'll learn some other no-name, 2-d, non-parametric drafting software.

I see, now that you tell me exactly what graphics packages are I know we learn ProE and Solid Works, I am fairly certain they won't teach us Catia or AutoCAD, I hope to god not AutoCAD because I have already mastered the program, and decided to use it only for making sketches of my woods projects:smile: It works very well for those but after spending two years in high school with it, I realized it wasn't the best.

I would say the only worthwhile upgrade AutoCAD ever made was the transition from command based operations to more menu oriented:smile:.

Grady, your schedule looks like much more fun than mine In a couple years mine will be similar to that, so no worry!

It is fun kyle soule, one good thing about it is that I could much more easily see the connections between solid state, stat mech and quantum when I was taking all classes at once. Most people advised me against this for obvious reasons of course, but i endorse it if you can devote the time to it.

1. What is a typical course load for a dual major in engineering and physics?

The course load for a dual major in engineering and physics will vary depending on the specific requirements of each program. Typically, students can expect to take around 15-18 credits per semester, which is equivalent to 5-6 courses. However, some programs may require more or less credits per semester, so it is important to check with your specific school and program for more accurate information.

2. Can I complete a dual major in engineering and physics in four years?

It is possible to complete a dual major in engineering and physics in four years, but it may require careful planning and possibly taking summer courses. The specific requirements of each program and the number of credits you are able to take per semester will determine if it is achievable. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate in four years.

3. How do I balance the workload between two demanding majors?

Balancing the workload between two demanding majors can be challenging, but it is possible with proper time management and organization. It is important to create a schedule and prioritize your assignments and studying. Additionally, taking advantage of resources such as study groups, tutoring, and office hours can also help you manage the workload.

4. Are there any common courses between engineering and physics majors?

Yes, there are often common courses between engineering and physics majors. This can include courses in mathematics, mechanics, and thermodynamics. However, the specific courses that overlap will depend on the programs and schools you are attending. It is important to review the course requirements for each major to determine which courses may count towards both degrees.

5. What career opportunities are available for dual majors in engineering and physics?

Dual majors in engineering and physics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can pursue careers in engineering, research, academia, and more. Some specific job titles may include aerospace engineer, mechanical engineer, research scientist, and data analyst. Additionally, having a dual major can make you a strong candidate for graduate school in either engineering or physics.