Need Help Proving Vector Calculus Formula? Look No Further!

In summary, the proof states that if you have a vector field F in an equation, then the del operator (\Delta) is equivalent to the product of the field and a function of the x, y, and z coordinates, which is also known as the "triangle rule."
vas85
Vector Calculus Proof Help Please :)

Heya Ppl i have a problem i am trying to solve.

Prove that

(Delta) . ( (fi)F) = (fi)(Delta) . F + F . (Delta)(fi)

were these contain GRAD DIV in my opinion but i seem to not be able to get the answer.

F = Vector F where F = F1i + F2j + F3k is a vector field in R3 and (fi) the Greek symbol that looks similar to Theta is a fuction of x, y and z.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and also guys the . is like the DOT PRODUCT dot not a MULTIPLICATION

Do you mean:

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\phi \mathbf{F}) = (\phi \nabla) \cdot \mathbf{F} + \mathbf{F} \cdot (\nabla \phi)[/tex]

If you're interested, you can click on the equation image to see what code was used to make it.

Also, the upside-down triangle representing the del operator is called "nabla," and the greek letter that looks like theta is called "phi."

Last edited:
Yeh TALewis that is how it looked like except that the BRACKETS wernt around the NABLA and PHI which are in the Right Hand Side, but i think that is a okay way to group it. Now if any1 has ideas on how to solve it i would much appreciate it Thanks

And um the question now after editing your Code looked like this

[tex]\nabla \cdot (\phi \mathbf{F}) = \phi \nabla \cdot \mathbf{F} + \mathbf{F} \cdot \nabla \phi[/tex]

But i think the way grouped in your rewrite should be the same thing, now if sum1 knows how to solve that proof :)

I will try to prove it considering the x-direction only. The full result should follow easily in the other two dimensions.

First, the left hand side:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\nabla \cdot (\phi \mathbf{F}) &=
\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\mathbf{i} \cdot \phi F_1 \mathbf{i}\\
&= \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\phi F_1)\\
&= \phi\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial x} + F_1\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \quad \mbox{(product rule)}
\end{align}
[/tex]

Now, the first term of the right hand side:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
(\phi\nabla)\cdot\mathbf{F} &=
\phi\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\mathbf{i} \cdot F_1\mathbf{i}\\
&= \phi\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial x}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The second term of the right hand side:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mathbf{F}\cdot(\nabla\phi) &=
F_1\mathbf{i}\cdot\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}\mathbf{i}\\
&= F_1\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I think you should be able to see now how it all comes together.

Thanks Heaps TALewis, i get the picture now! :):)

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their properties. It involves the use of vectors, which are mathematical quantities with both magnitude and direction, to study and solve problems related to functions of several variables.

2. What is a vector calculus proof?

A vector calculus proof is a mathematical argument that uses the principles and techniques of vector calculus to demonstrate the validity of a given statement or theorem. It typically involves the use of vector operations such as differentiation, integration, and line and surface integrals to show the logical progression of the proof.

3. How is vector calculus used in physics?

Vector calculus is essential in many areas of physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is used to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems in terms of vectors and vector fields, allowing for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of physical phenomena.

4. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. Some common applications include calculating electric and magnetic fields, optimizing functions with multiple variables, and analyzing fluid flow and motion.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus proofs?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus proofs, it is important to have a solid foundation in vector calculus concepts and techniques. Practice solving a variety of problems and proofs, seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, and work on developing a strong intuition for vector operations and their properties.