Show that the simple harmonic motion has a period

In summary, when the mass is displaced an amount x= +x0 from the equilibrium position, the force on the mass is F=ma.
Myr73
A mass m slides on a frictionless horizontal surface, connected to two springs, as shown below. If the force have constants K1 and K2 , show that the simple harmonic sliding motion has period.
T= 2 Pie (Square Root X m { K1+K2/K1K2})

So far I have →From equation T= 2Pie{SquareRoot(m/k)
If these two equations are the same, k must equal { K1+K2/K1K2}.

It may just be the calculus that I am not understanding but I don't know how to show that
k= { K1+K2/K1K2}. How would I begin this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by writing F = ma equation for the mass as a function of displacement from a zero point.

Sorry, I am still unsure what to do here.

Displace the mass a distance away from the x=0 position (where both springs are relaxed). What is the force on the mass?

PS - where's the picture?

Sorry the picture doesn't work. It is K1 spring on the left, attached to k2 spring , which is attached to m at the far right. All horizontal

Myr73 said:
Sorry the picture doesn't work. It is K1 spring on the left, attached to k2 spring , which is attached to m at the far right. All horizontal

OK, so back to the question in post 4 ...

Wait a minute - the mass isn't between the two springs?
So, let x=0 be where the two springs are relaxed, then displace the mass an amount x= +x0, what is the force on the mass?

Myr73 said:
A mass m slides on a frictionless horizontal surface, connected to two springs, as shown below. If the force have constants K1 and K2 , show that the simple harmonic sliding motion has period.
T= 2 Pie (Square Root X m { K1+K2/K1K2})

So far I have →From equation T= 2Pie{SquareRoot(m/k)
If these two equations are the same, k must equal { K1+K2/K1K2}.
k1 does not need to be able to k2 for this to work. But you will soon find out that there are certain things that do turn out to be equal.

It may just be the calculus that I am not understanding but I don't know how to show that
k= { K1+K2/K1K2}. How would I begin this?
Start with rude man's advice. That's a good approach.

Keep things static for now (don't worry about motion or acceleration just yet -- we'll get back to that). So the first step is to answer rude man's question in post #6.

The answer to that might not be so obvious, which is why I'm chiming in here. What does Newton's third law of motion say about the relationship is between the force on the mass and the force on spring k2?

Invoke Newton's third law again, regarding the force on spring k1.

Then realize one final constraint. What is the total displacement of both springs k1 and k2 added together?

Or, how about this: combine the 2 springs into one spring:

first, find the net spring constant k: 3 equations, 3 unknowns: stretch of spring 1, stretch of spring 2, effective k of the series-connected springs.

Then, you have 1 spring & 1 mass to contend with.

Ok, umm Force on mass at x=+x0 --> Third law;For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction--> Therefore Force on mass is opposite to Force on Springs. Is that what you meant?... I believe I may need more explanation on what to do with this.

The two springs are connected in series, and the combined spring acts on the mass.

What is the spring constant of two springs connected in series? See picture.

You pull the orange spring with force F. At equilibrium, the net force for both springs is zero: the orange spring is pulled by F and at the other end it is pulled backwards by the blue spring also by F. The orange springs pulls the blue one with F, and the wall pulls the blue spring backwards with the same force. The tension is the same along a spring.

Both springs stretch, the blue one with Δx1, the red one with Δx2. ##Δx_1=\frac{F}{k_1}## ,##Δx_2=\frac{F}{k_2}##.
The whole spring stretches by ΔX=Δx1+ Δx2 by the force F. The resultant spring constant of the connected springs is [tex]K=\frac{F}{ΔX}=\frac{F}{Δx_1+Δx_2}=\frac{F}{\frac{F}{k_1}+\frac{F}{k_2}}=\frac{k_1k_2}{k_1+k_2}[/tex]

ehild

Attachments

• seriesspr.JPG
    seriesspr.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 469
Likes 1 person
Myr73 said:
Ok, umm Force on mass at x=+x0 --> Third law;For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction--> Therefore Force on mass is opposite to Force on Springs. Is that what you meant?... I believe I may need more explanation on what to do with this.

If you can handle the one-spring + mass problem you can handle this one the same way - see my post 8 again.

Likes 1 person
Myr73 said:
Ok, umm Force on mass at x=+x0 --> Third law;For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction--> Therefore Force on mass is opposite to Force on Springs. Is that what you meant?...

Well, yes, but you can break it down further (ehild's picture and post demonstrate this).

The mass is not in contact with the "springs," as in plural, but rather the mass is only in contact with spring k2. What does Newton's third law of motion say about the force on spring k2 and the force acting on the mass? (Note that nothing else is acting on the mass besides spring k2).

Similarly, what is the compressive force of spring k1 relative to that of spring k2? You can use Newton's third law to determine this at the connection point between the two springs.

That's what I meant about finding several things which are equal.

The individual, net displacement of each spring is not equal though. The springs will most certainly be compressed by different displacements, if the forces on the springs are equal and spring constants k1 and k2 are not equal.

But there is a constraint. If you add the individual, net displacement of spring k1 to the displacement of spring k2, how does that relate to the displacement of the mass?

[Edit: the above approach is valid if the springs are massless, themselves.]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you.. It all makes great sense,however there is one thing I am not sure of and its the switch from
F/ F/k1+F/k2 to k1 k2/k1+k2

Myr73 said:
Thank you.. It all makes great sense,however there is one thing I am not sure of and its the switch from

For reference,

[tex] \frac{F}{\frac{F}{k_1} + \frac{F}{k_2}} [/tex]

As a first, interim step, find a common denominator of the [itex] \frac{F}{k_1} + \frac{F}{k_2} [/itex] terms in the overall denominator.

Likes 1 person
Myr73 said:
Factor out F from the denominator, and simplify.
[tex]\frac{F}{\frac{F}{k_1} + \frac{F}{k_2}}=\frac{F}{F(\frac{1}{k_1}+\frac{1}{k_2})}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{k_1}+\frac{1}{k_2}}[/tex]
Then do what colinsmark suggested, find the common denominator of 1/k1+1/k2...

ehild

Likes 1 person

Related to Show that the simple harmonic motion has a period

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around a stable equilibrium point with a constant period.

2. How is the period of simple harmonic motion defined?

The period of simple harmonic motion is defined as the time it takes for one complete oscillation or cycle. It is denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds (s).

3. What is the equation for the period of simple harmonic motion?

The equation for the period of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. This equation is derived from Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

4. How does amplitude affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement, of a simple harmonic motion does not affect the period. This means that the period remains constant regardless of the amplitude of the oscillation. However, an increase in amplitude will result in a higher maximum velocity and acceleration.

5. Can any motion be considered simple harmonic motion?

No, simple harmonic motion is a specific type of oscillatory motion that follows a specific set of conditions. These conditions include a linear restoring force, a constant period, and a stable equilibrium point. Not all oscillatory motions exhibit these characteristics and therefore cannot be considered simple harmonic motion.