Show that the intersection is a pp -Sylow subgroup

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a subgroup S is a Sylow p-subgroup of a group G and N is a normal subgroup of G, then the intersection of N and S is also a Sylow p-subgroup of N. The conversation discusses using Frattini's Argument and Lagrange's theorem to prove this. After some calculations and reasoning, it is determined that the statement is correct.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that if $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$ and $N\trianglelefteq G$, then $N\cap S\in \text{Syl}_p(N)$. Could you give me some hints how we could show that? (Wondering)

Do we maybe use Frattini's Argument? (Wondering)
From that we have that since $N\trianglelefteq G$ and $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$, $G=NN_G(P)=N_G(P)N$, right? (Wondering)
But does this help us? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have done the following:

Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$, i.e., $S\leq G$, and $N\trianglelefteq G$ we have that $NS\leq G$.

We have that $|NS|=\frac{|N||S|}{|N\cap S|}\Rightarrow \frac{|NS|}{|S|}=\frac{|N|}{|N\cap S|}\Rightarrow [NS:S]=[N:N\cap S]$

Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$ we have that $[G:S]$ is coprime with $p$.
We have that $[G:S]=[G:NS][NS:S]$.
Since $[NS:S]\mid [G:S]$, $[N:N\cap S]=[NS:S]$ is coprime with $p$.
Since $N\cap S\leq S$, from Lagrange's theorem we have that $|N\cap S|\mid |S|$.
Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$, if $|G|=p^na$, with $p\not\mid a$, then $|S|=p^n$.
Then $|N\cap S|=p^m$, with $0<m\leq n$.
Since $|N\cap S|=p^m$ and $[N:N\cap S]$ is coprime with $p$, we have that $N\cap P\in \text{Syl}_p(N)$.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I have done the following:

Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$, i.e., $S\leq G$, and $N\trianglelefteq G$ we have that $NS\leq G$.

We have that $|NS|=\frac{|N||S|}{|N\cap S|}\Rightarrow \frac{|NS|}{|S|}=\frac{|N|}{|N\cap S|}\Rightarrow [NS:S]=[N:N\cap S]$

Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$ we have that $[G:S]$ is coprime with $p$.
We have that $[G:S]=[G:NS][NS:S]$.
Since $[NS:S]\mid [G:S]$, $[N:N\cap S]=[NS:S]$ is coprime with $p$.
Since $N\cap S\leq S$, from Lagrange's theorem we have that $|N\cap S|\mid |S|$.
Since $S\in \text{Syl}_p(G)$, if $|G|=p^na$, with $p\not\mid a$, then $|S|=p^n$.
Then $|N\cap S|=p^m$, with $0<m\leq n$.
Since $|N\cap S|=p^m$ and $[N:N\cap S]$ is coprime with $p$, we have that $N\cap P\in \text{Syl}_p(N)$.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

It looks like it to me.

Deveno said:
It looks like it to me.

Ah ok... Thank you! (Smile)

Related to Show that the intersection is a pp -Sylow subgroup

1. What is a pp-Sylow subgroup?

A pp-Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a group that has the same order as the largest power of a prime factor that divides the order of the group. In other words, it is a subgroup that is as large as possible while still being a subgroup of the original group.

2. How do you show that a subgroup is a pp-Sylow subgroup?

To show that a subgroup is a pp-Sylow subgroup, you must first find the largest power of a prime factor that divides the order of the original group. Then, you must show that the subgroup has the same order as this power of the prime factor. This can be done through various methods, such as using Lagrange's theorem or the Sylow theorems.

3. Why is it important to show that a subgroup is a pp-Sylow subgroup?

Showing that a subgroup is a pp-Sylow subgroup is important because it helps us understand the structure of a group. It also allows us to identify important subgroups that may have special properties or play a significant role in the group's operations.

4. Can a group have more than one pp-Sylow subgroup?

Yes, a group can have multiple pp-Sylow subgroups. In fact, if a group's order is a power of a prime, then all of its subgroups are pp-Sylow subgroups. However, for groups with orders that are not powers of primes, there may be multiple pp-Sylow subgroups with different orders.

5. How is the concept of pp-Sylow subgroups used in group theory?

The concept of pp-Sylow subgroups is used in group theory to study the structure and properties of groups. It helps us identify important subgroups and understand how they relate to the larger group. It also plays a crucial role in proving the Sylow theorems, which are important theorems in group theory.