Show that the horizontal range is 4h/tan(theta)

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the horizontal range of a projectile launched at an angle Θ to the horizontal is equal to 4 times its maximum height divided by the tangent of Θ. The conversation includes various attempts at solving this proof, including using the ratio of range to maximum height and the relationship between cotangent and tangent. The final solution is that the horizontal range is equal to 2 times the initial velocity squared multiplied by the sine of 2Θ, which can be simplified to 4 times the maximum height divided by the tangent of Θ.
negation

Homework Statement

A projectile launched at angle Θ to the horizontal reaches maximum height h. Show that its horizontal range is 4h/ tan Θ.

The Attempt at a Solution

tapex = [itex]vi sin Θ/g[/itex]
tfull trajectory = [itex]2vi sin Θ/g[/itex]
h(tapex) = h = [itex]vi^2 sin^2 Θ/2g[/itex]

x(tfull trajectory) = x = [itex]\frac{vi^2 sin (2Θ)}{g}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the ratio of range to max height.

voko said:
Consider the ratio of range to max height.

I did. The expression for the full range and heigh, h is in the op.
But I'm unable to reduce them to the appropriate wxpression

Show what you get and how you get that.

voko said:
Show what you get and how you get that.

I worked out hapex = vi ^2 sin^Θ and xfull range = vi^2(2Θ)/g
The above was obtained by substituting t/2 intp the y-displacement and t into the x-displacement.

As I said. Consider the ratio of range to max height.

voko said:
As I said. Consider the ratio of range to max height.

I did.

The horizontal range is 2vi^2 sinΘcosΘ.
I simplified 4h/tanΘ to 2vi^2sinΘcosΘ/g.
I suppose this is a sufficient condition for the proof?

I cannot see your analysis of the ratio of range to max height. Which is strange, because you have found a formula for range, and a formula for max height. All you need is to divide one by another.

voko said:
I cannot see your analysis of the ratio of range to max height. Which is strange, because you have found a formula for range, and a formula for max height. All you need is to divide one by another.

Capture.JPG

I failed to obtain the required equation. Why do we need the ratio? The question has not asked for that.

My method:
I found x = vi^2 sin(2Θ)/g = 2vi^2 sinΘcosΘ
I reduced 4h/tanΘ to = 2vi^2 sinΘcosΘ, where h = vi^2 sin^2Θ/2g and tan Θ = sinΘ/cosΘ.

You are required to prove that $$ x = {4h \over \tan \theta} $$ That means $$ {x \over h} = {4 \over \tan \theta} $$

Regarding your "failure", how are ## \cot ## and ## \tan ## related?

voko said:
You are required to prove that $$ x = {4h \over \tan \theta} $$ That means $$ {x \over h} = {4 \over \tan \theta} $$

Regarding your "failure", how are ## \cot ## and ## \tan ## related?
cot Θ= 1/tanΘ
It never occurred to me I had to perform a x/h ratio. But anyway, answer found.

Last edited:

Related to Show that the horizontal range is 4h/tan(theta)

1. What is the equation for calculating horizontal range?

The equation for calculating horizontal range is 4h/tan(theta), where h represents the initial height of the object and theta represents the launch angle.

2. How is the horizontal range related to the launch angle?

The horizontal range is directly proportional to the launch angle. This means that as the launch angle increases, the horizontal range also increases.

3. What does the value of 'h' represent in the equation?

The value of 'h' represents the initial height of the object, or the height at which the object is launched from. It is measured in the same unit as the horizontal range.

4. How does the horizontal range change if the initial height is increased?

If the initial height is increased, the horizontal range will also increase. This is because a higher initial height gives the object more time to travel horizontally before reaching the ground.

5. Can the horizontal range be negative?

Yes, the horizontal range can be negative. This indicates that the object has landed behind the point of launch. This can occur when the launch angle is greater than 90 degrees or in certain situations with air resistance.