Show that the Energy Transfer is given by

In summary: I'm not able to understand the proof, but I finally solved the problem in a different way. Thanks for the help though!In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Inverse Compton Scattering and its application to a charged particle colliding with a photon. Using the conservation laws of relativistic energy and linear momentum, the energy transfer to the photon is given by a formula involving the frequency and energy of the photon, as well as the relativistic energy and linear momentum of the charged particle before the collision. There is a fixed relation between the energy and momentum of the charged particle after the collision, which can be used to solve for the unknown quantities in the equation. The steps for solving the problem involve adding and rearranging equations
vmr101
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A Photon has undergone Inverse Compton Scattering, a charged particle of rest mass m0 has relativistic energy E >> m0, collides head on with a photon of frequency v, where hv << m0. Assume the complete process takes place in one spatial dimension, say x.
Using the conservation laws of rel. energy and rel. linear momentum, show the energy transfer to the photon is given by:
[tex] hv' = \frac{hvE(1+u)} {2hv+E(1-u)} [/tex]

Homework Equations

where the rel. momentum of the charged particle before the collision is px = -Eu

The Attempt at a Solution

I have [tex]E+hv = E'+hv'[/tex] (cons. of energy) and [tex]-Eu+hv = E'u' - hv'[/tex] (cons. of linear momentum)
I sub one into the other, yet am stuck with u' which I can not resolve. I believe this can be solved with the required information, but I am unsure how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a fixed relation between E' and u', which is a third equation for your three unknowns.

Do you mean E' = M(u') = gamma (u') m0
which seems to still keep the factor of U' in there

Forget the concept of a relativistic mass, it is not used in physics.

Yes, it has u' in it. That is great, because it allows to express u' in terms of E', which you can plug into the equation you got before.

There was a ' in the question, but looked like typo as it was different format to the other dash '

Last edited:
That would surprise me, as the one-dimensional case has a clear solution, there is no need to introduce unknown quantities in the equation.

Now I am more confused :(

I added eq 1 and 2, and got 2hv+E(1-u) = E'(1+u') but solving this for u' seems to get complicated. Is there a simpler way to show this proof?

Attachments

• q2.png
    q2.png
    998 bytes · Views: 449
Last edited:
That looks like a comma, not like a dash. And it would not make sense to add a dash to a bracket.
vmr101 said:
Is there a simpler way to show this proof?
There is no way to tell if you don't show your steps.

mfb said:
That looks like a comma, not like a dash. And it would not make sense to add a dash to a bracket.
That is what I first thought.

So solve for u' then sub that back into one of the equations and rearranging should produce the proof. The algebra seems to be tedious, ill keep trying to make it work. Thanks for the help mfb

Hey vmr101, have you solved the problem? I'm stuck on the same part as you are, a little help will be appreciated!

I added Eq 1 to 2 to remove the hv', and rearranged to have u' in terms of all other parameters, giving 2hv + E(1-u) = E'(1+u'), then subbed E' [where E'=m_0 / sqrt(1-u')] back in, and then have (2hv+E(1-u))/m_0 (set this equal to x) = (1+u') / sqrt(1-u'^(2)), then solved for u' in terms of x.
Then subbed back in the terms, and put all this back into eq 1.
I haven't pushed through with the working as the algebra is tedious, but that should show the proof.

deleted

Related to Show that the Energy Transfer is given by

What is energy transfer?

Energy transfer is the movement of energy from one system to another. It can occur in various forms such as heat, light, or mechanical motion.

How is energy transfer measured?

Energy transfer is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). This unit of measurement represents the amount of energy transferred from one system to another.

What is the formula for calculating energy transfer?

The formula for calculating energy transfer is Q=mcΔT, where Q is the amount of energy transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors affect energy transfer?

The amount of energy transferred can be affected by several factors including the type and properties of the materials involved, the temperature difference between the two systems, and the duration of the transfer.

Why is energy transfer important?

Energy transfer is essential for sustaining life and powering various processes in the natural world. It also plays a crucial role in technology and allows us to harness and utilize energy for various purposes.