Show that ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##.

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, you are right. For some reason I thought we had proven ##t_{n}\equiv t_{n+2k}\pmod{2k}## although I carefully read the proof. We have a proverb for this: I didn't see the forest due to all the trees.Hence, sorry @Math100, your answer in post #3 was just perfect. I made a mistake. Forget post #5.
Math100
Homework Statement
If ## t_{n} ## denotes the nth triangular number, show that ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##; hence, ## t_{n} ## and ## t_{n+20} ## must have the same last digit.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Let ## t_{n} ## be the nth triangular number.
Then ## t_{n}=\frac{n^{2}+n}{2} ## for ## n\geq 1 ##.
This means
\begin{align*}
&t_{n+2k}=\frac{(n+2k)^{2}(n+2k)}{2}\\
&=\frac{n^{2}+4kn+4k^{2}+n+2k}{2}\\
&=\frac{n^{2}+n}{2}+(2kn+2k^{2}+k)\\
&\equiv \frac{n^{2}+n}{2}\pmod {k}.\\
\end{align*}
Thus ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##.
Therefore, ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ## if ## t_{n} ## denotes the nth triangular number.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: If ## t_{n} ## denotes the nth triangular number, show that ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##; hence, ## t_{n} ## and ## t_{n+20} ## must have the same last digit.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

This means
\begin{align*}
\end{align*}
Therefore, ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ## if ## t_{n} denotes the nth triangular number.
There is a typo on the numerator of the first quotient, a missing +.

And why do ##t_n## and ##t_{n+20}## have the same last digit?

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
There is a typo on the numerator of the first quotient, a missing +.

And why do ##t_n## and ##t_{n+20}## have the same last digit?
I got the typo part. For the second part, is it because ## t_{n+20}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {10} ##?

Math100 said:
I got the typo part. For the second part, is it because ## t_{n+20}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {10} ##?
Essentially, yes. I would approach the question otherwise, step by step. You can always take the definitions! We just have shown that
$$
t_n \equiv t_{n+20} \pmod {20}
$$
This means that ##t_n -t_{n+20} \equiv 0 \pmod {20},## i.e. ##20\,|\,(t_n -t_{n+20}).## Now if ##20## divides that number, then ##10## divides it for sure. So ##t_n -t_{n+20}= 10\cdot q## for some integer ##q##. Now you can consider the last digit. E.g. write ##t_n=a_m\cdot 10^m+a_{m-1}\cdot 10^{m-1}+\ldots+a_1\cdot 10+a_0## and ##t_{n+20}=b_k\cdot 10^k+b_{k-1}\cdot 10^{k-1}+\ldots+b_1\cdot 10+b_0## and show us that ##a_0=b_0.##

It might not be the shortest way to go down to the definitions but you can practice proof writing.

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2 and Math100
fresh_42 said:
Essentially, yes. I would approach the question otherwise, step by step. You can always take the definitions! We just have shown that
$$
t_n \equiv t_{n+20} \pmod {20}
$$
This means that ##t_n -t_{n+20} \equiv 0 \pmod {20},## i.e. ##20\,|\,(t_n -t_{n+20}).## Now if ##20## divides that number, then ##10## divides it for sure. So ##t_n -t_{n+20}= 10\cdot q## for some integer ##q##. Now you can consider the last digit. E.g. write ##t_n=a_m\cdot 10^m+a_{m-1}\cdot 10^{m-1}+\ldots+a_1\cdot 10+a_0## and ##t_{n+20}=b_k\cdot 10^k+b_{k-1}\cdot 10^{k-1}+\ldots+b_1\cdot 10+b_0## and show us that ##a_0=b_0.##

It might not be the shortest way to go down to the definitions but you can practice proof writing.
Er sorry it might be just because I 've just woke up but we have proved ##t_{n+2k}=t_n \pmod k## if we apply this for k=10 we get ##t_{n+20}=t_n \pmod {10}## and NOT ##t_{n+20}=t_n \pmod {20}##...

Likes Math100
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: If ## t_{n} ## denotes the nth triangular number, show that ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##; hence, ## t_{n} ## and ## t_{n+20} ## must have the same last digit.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

This means
\begin{align*}
\end{align*}
Therefore, ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ## if ## t_{n} ## denotes the nth triangular number.
It seems you did not expand the product ##(n^2+4nk+4k^2)(n+2k)/2##, from the top line to the 2nd one.. Or did you simplify in some way?

WWGD said:
It seems you did not expand the product ##(n^2+4nk+4k^2)(n+2k)/2##, from the top line to the 2nd one.. Or did you simplify in some way?
There is a typo there, it is a sum not a product of those two terms.

Likes Math100 and WWGD
Delta2 said:
Er sorry it might be just because I 've just woke up but we have proved ##t_{n+2k}=t_n \pmod k## if we apply this for k=10 we get ##t_{n+20}=t_n \pmod {10}## and NOT ##t_{n+20}=t_n \pmod {20}##...
Yes, you are right. For some reason I thought we had proven ##t_{n}\equiv t_{n+2k}\pmod{2k}## although I carefully read the proof. We have a proverb for this: I didn't see the forest due to all the trees.

Hence, sorry @Math100, your answer in post #3 was just perfect. I made a mistake. Forget post #4.

Likes Math100 and Delta2

Related to Show that ## t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} ##.

1. What does the notation "t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k}" mean?

This notation means that the two numbers, t_{n+2k} and t_{n}, have the same remainder when divided by k. In other words, they are congruent modulo k.

2. How do you prove that t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k}?

To prove that t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k}, we can use the definition of congruence modulo k. This means that we need to show that the difference between t_{n+2k} and t_{n} is divisible by k. We can do this by using algebraic manipulations and properties of divisibility.

3. Why is it important to show that t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k}?

Showing that t_{n+2k}\equiv t_{n}\pmod {k} is important because it allows us to make certain conclusions about the numbers t_{n+2k} and t_{n}. For example, if we know that they are congruent modulo k, we can say that they have the same remainder when divided by k, and therefore they are related in a specific way.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use the congruence modulo k in a real-life situation?

One example of using congruence modulo k in a real-life situation is in cryptography. In encryption algorithms, congruence modulo k is used to create secret keys that can only be decrypted by the intended recipient. The keys are based on large prime numbers that are congruent to each other modulo k, making it difficult for someone to guess the key without knowing the specific value of k.

5. Are there any other applications of the congruence modulo k concept?

Yes, congruence modulo k has many other applications in mathematics and computer science. It is used in number theory, algebra, and coding theory, among other fields. It is also used in various algorithms and data structures, such as hash functions and error-correcting codes. Additionally, congruence modulo k is used in solving problems related to linear and polynomial equations.