My Philosophies on Life: Musings and Realizations

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: Now, imagine for a moment that there was nothing beyond that Planck length. In other words, that the universe stopped at that point. Suddenly, because there's nothing beyond that point, the universe would be in a state of "infinite energy." (This is because energy can be thought of as the capacity to do work, and infinite energy is the same as no energy at all.)Now imagine that something happened beyond that point. In other words, the universe started expanding. Because the universe is getting bigger, it's now getting closer to something (the so-called "edge of chaos"). At this point, the energy in the
Gale
So, here's my philosohpies, or at least a bunch of stuff i sort of semi believe in. Figure i'll say it all now, since I'm done here anyways.

Creation of the universe:

there was the universe. As we know it now. but, technically it was nothing. There was no time, and therefore no space. But then, something changed. like something moved or something... some energy was changed in some way, and that made the universe different, and that created time and space as we know them. There's no point in thinking about what was before all this, cause it was nothing, and there was this period of nothingness for no time at all. space and time and all that we know, were only existent after that first change, so there's no point in talking about what was before it. It was just nothing.

God: Yep there's a god. Nope its not a person or a thing or an anything. God is just energy. What causes everything to happen? energy... that simple really. Whether there's omniscence or anything like that... sure... collectively... energy fuels us... and we're all conscious, and if you pust everything all together... yeah there's something greater than us all.
... i don't know if i got that across right... but it works for me...

meaning of life: No clue... who cares? why does there have to be meaning? what's the meaning of anything?

couple other things i feel like saying...

People suck... especially when you get to know them. Its much easier to love a stranger.

Thinking too much is a bad thing. Ignorance is bliss. What good is it to be unhappy?

And yeah, so i think I'm done. bye all.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, your leaving the PFs?

Each of these philosophies could be a thread on its own, and could start some very interesting conversations...why don't you stick around a little longer and discuss some of these philosophies?

You're lucky I'm not standing in person right next to you, cause if I was, you would be getting a "wake-up" punch in the nose.

You're right people suck, no one's perfect. The more you know you know a person the more you know their faults. But you also know more of that spark that lies that lies in the worst of us.

Remember, "The glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time you fall."
People can choose to lie in the mud or shoot for the stars. But remember that lying in the mud will only get you stepped on.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
Makes me wonder...

EDIT: Don't take the punching thing seriously.

Last edited:
OK Abby(I can call you that now:smile: you mean people suck, nice ones..errr..nm

Point is, you take the good, and take the bad

You take them both and there you have- the facts of life.

stop being such a drama queen and start another one of your famous "sex" posts

Originally posted by Zantra

Point is, you take the good, and take the bad

what about the ugly?

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
what about the ugly?

it would ruin the song:wink:

First and foremost, my Philosophy is that of Materialism. Yep, I'm an Evil Materialist and an Evil Atheist.

Originally posted by Gale17
Creation of the universe:

there was the universe. As we know it now. but, technically it was nothing. There was no time, and therefore no space. But then, something changed. like something moved or something... some energy was changed in some way, and that made the universe different, and that created time and space as we know them. There's no point in thinking about what was before all this, cause it was nothing, and there was this period of nothingness for no time at all. space and time and all that we know, were only existent after that first change, so there's no point in talking about what was before it. It was just nothing.

Search http://madsci.wustl.edu/MS_search.html for all your questions about everything scientific.

Here are a few things that might be worth reading from MAD.SCI:
http://madsci.wustl.edu/posts/archives/feb99/919722186.As.r.html
http://madsci.wustl.edu/posts/archives/mar97/853298389.As.r.html
http://madsci.wustl.edu/posts/archives/sep2001/1001186718.As.r.html

I recommend searching for information on Special and General Relativity, the Big Bang, Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), and lots of other neat scientifical stuff.

Additional information that will help you understand Relativity:
What is the theory of relativity and how does it help us
Why must time be related to space

My personal opinion, I think the best description (in Laymen's terms) for the "cause" of the Big Bang was described on this JREF Messageboard thread:
Here's the short answer (much hand-waving follows):

First, the Planck length. Max Planck discovered that there was a number (a very very very small number) which was effectively the smallest thing you could have. Expressed as distance, the Planck length is the smallest distance you can measure, like the limit of resolution of your ruler. Expressed as energy, it's the smallest bit of energy (the so-called quantum). Expressed as time, it is the smallest bit of time you can measure. (Remember that time and distance are functions of each other, so the smallest distance and the smallest time are related).

Then Stephen Hawking discovered that underneath this limit, all sorts of hanky panky was going on. For instance, sometimes particles (like say an electron) will just appear out of nothing, for no reason at all. So the old adage that something cannot come from nothing is false: it happens a gazillion times a second.

Of course, you are wondering, why don't we notice this? Well, its because the universe is as bad as a bank: you can't take money out without putting money in. So when that electron just pops into being, an anti-electron is also created. And here's the kicker: the two of them wander around a bit, and then collide. Well you know what happens when a particle and an anti-particle collide: they both go woosh! And the energy they create from their explosion is exactly the same amount of energy it took to create them... so everything balances out!

But wait, you say. Wouldn't we notice all this wooshing? The answer is, all of this takes place under the Planck limit. So no, we don't notice it. You know that movies are really just still frames displayed really quickly, right? And because your eyes can't adjust faster than 30 times a second or so, you can't tell. You don't see the stillness, just the motion. The Planck limit is like that: you can't see well enough to see the individual actions, just the net result.

So... imagine the universe when there was no matter in it. No distance, either (and hence no time but that's a different issue). Nothing at all. So along comes some innocent particle, pops into being just like they always do, but wait: there is no distance. Well you know what happens when you stuff 20 lbls of potatos into a 5lb bag, right. No distance means that the first particle had infinite density. Infinite density means infinite mass, which means infinite energy. And stuffing infinite energy into a tiny point means kaboom!

And there's your Big Bang. Out of nothing. Of course, now that we have distance, we don't have infinite energy anymore. So all those little guys popping in and out don't matter so much. But they still serve to evaporate black holes, so we're grateful they're around.

God: Yep there's a god. Nope its not a person or a thing or an anything. God is just energy. What causes everything to happen? energy... that simple really. Whether there's omniscence or anything like that... sure... collectively... energy fuels us... and we're all conscious, and if you pust everything all together... yeah there's something greater than us all.
... i don't know if i got that across right... but it works for me...
While I would say energy exists, I don't think its very accurate to define God(s) as being energy (dont use them as synonyms, it'll cause confusion).

Personally, I don't believe in god(s). I could drone on and on for days and days and days of why I don't believe... but I think it can be summed up shortly like this:
All things that exist can be described in terms of matter and natural phenomena, nothing can behave outside the scope of "Natural Law" (for lack of better words...), anything that fails to meet those 2 criteria cannot and does not exist. God is described as being immaterial and/or possessing traits that allow him to behave outside of the Laws of Physics, therefore he cannot and does not exist.

[]bmeaning of life: No clue... who cares? why does there have to be meaning? what's the meaning of anything? [/b]
In my opinion, science explains how things work, it does nothing to explain their meaning (Note: That is not a flaw in science, its just a flaw in humans always asking "why"). "Meaning" is subjective, it can be different for just about everyone.

My personal meaning of life looks like a series of questionmarks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Life is life and nothing more.
this is this and nothing more.
we are what we are and nothing more.
also all that is nothing more is also nothing less.
Sometimes thinking this sucks because in someways we don't just want to be another grain in the sand.
but i guess if you see things as it is we are all equal which isn't too bad. seeing how all bad is equal to good would make pleasure equal to pain. with our thoughts we can't help but interpet that as meaningless or worthlessness. like nothing matters. Might not relate to Gale's post but i just thought i'd spill out my thoughts too. Nice knowing you Gale, i respect your thoughts from the post I've read since i joined, much of your philosphy is agreeable with mine. But then again i find a way to agree with almost any ones.

1. What inspired you to write "My Philosophies on Life: Musings and Realizations"?

I have always been intrigued by the human experience and the various perspectives and philosophies that shape our lives. Over the years, I have collected my own thoughts and realizations about life, and I wanted to share them with others in hopes of sparking meaningful conversations and reflections.

2. What are some of the main themes in your book?

The main themes in my book include self-discovery, personal growth, finding purpose and meaning in life, and the importance of introspection and mindfulness. I also touch on topics such as relationships, success, and the pursuit of happiness.

3. How did your background in science influence your philosophies on life?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the inner workings of the world and the universe. This curiosity has also extended to understanding the complexities of human behavior and the underlying principles that govern our thoughts and actions. My scientific background has given me a unique perspective on life, allowing me to blend logic and reason with introspection and self-discovery.

4. What do you hope readers will take away from your book?

I hope readers will be inspired to reflect on their own beliefs and philosophies, and to approach life with a sense of curiosity and open-mindedness. I also hope to encourage readers to embrace personal growth and to find purpose and meaning in their own lives.

5. Can readers expect any practical advice or exercises in your book?

Yes, in addition to sharing my own musings and realizations, I also include practical tips and exercises that readers can incorporate into their daily lives. These exercises are designed to help readers deepen their understanding of themselves and to cultivate a more fulfilling and meaningful life.