Terahertz Waves: Learn More About EM Spectrum Position

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of terahertz waves and the request for more information on them. The location of terahertz waves on the electromagnetic spectrum is discussed, with it being situated between microwaves and infrared waves. The possibility of finding more industrial uses for terahertz waves is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of detecting terahertz signals and the need for specialized technology to do so. Overall, the conversation provides insight into the properties and potential applications of terahertz waves.
jimmy p
Gold Member
After answering a thread in a half a$$ed manner earlier i was wondering if anyone would be able to give me more information on terahertz waves. I know they exist and are suprisingly safe compared to x-rays but i can't remember where they sit in the E.M spectrum. Hopefully i can build up a better knowledge on this new(ish) find, any info would be gratefully recieved

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a http://www.leeds.ac.uk/about/annual_report/research1.htm [Broken] that gives the location of terahertz waves as between microwaves (low end) and infrared (high end). Since infrared lie just below the visual range and microwaves lie above UHF radio waves, that gives you an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok cool that gives me a pretty cool insight to what they are about. If they are between microwaves and Infra-Red does that mean that their wavelength borders between that of the others waves and if so how can they tell which wave is which?

Also could ppl find more industrial usage for terahertz waves or find/write a mini- factsheet about them. I know I am askin quite a lot but u guys make more sense than lots of web-pages cos u write more personally!

Thanx:smile:

I found that site by going to www.google.com and entering terahertz wave in the search box. There are plenty of other sites where that came from, and you would benefit by finding them yourself :=)

I know i know, self learning is better than asking for help but i have some bad experiences from self teaching. I dropped two grades in my Biology A-Level cos i was the only student for A2 so i was stuck in the AS class and told to learn my self...i saw 1 out of 2 of my biology teachers once a week for an hour and despite complaining nothing happened. lol all the information fazes my brain so i ask u guys for help by putting it into english. lol...guess which subject i have to take AGAIN this year...lol

There are also security applications. They can be used, at short ranges, to detect and even image metal items concealed under clothing.

Detection of terrahertz signals could be problematic. There are atmospheric absorption problems in that band. IR is usually detected with semiconductor bandgaps, microwaves are detected with antennae. For terrahertz, you could go either way, but it requires extaordinary measures. You could use lithographically deposited arrays of tiny metal antennae, or engineer a semiconductor material using superlattices or quantum dots to get the right band structure. You would probably need a quantum cascade effect to detect terrahertz in semiconductors.

Njorl

1. What are terahertz waves and where do they lie on the electromagnetic spectrum?

Terahertz waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that falls between the infrared and microwave regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. They have frequencies ranging from 0.1 to 10 terahertz (THz), hence their name.

2. How are terahertz waves produced?

Terahertz waves can be produced using a variety of methods, including using specialized lasers, electronic devices called frequency multipliers, and nonlinear crystals. These methods convert lower frequency waves, such as microwaves or infrared radiation, into terahertz waves.

3. What are the applications of terahertz waves?

Terahertz waves have a wide range of potential applications in fields such as communications, security, medical imaging, and materials science. They can be used for high-speed data transmission, non-destructive testing of materials, and detecting hidden objects or substances.

4. Are terahertz waves harmful to humans?

No, terahertz waves are generally considered to be non-ionizing and do not have enough energy to cause harm to human tissues. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential health effects of long-term exposure to terahertz waves.

5. How are terahertz waves different from other types of radiation?

Terahertz waves have a longer wavelength and lower frequency than visible light, making them invisible to the human eye. They also have lower energy than X-rays and gamma rays, making them less harmful to biological tissues. Terahertz waves also have unique properties that allow them to pass through certain materials, making them useful for imaging and sensing applications.