Show that m varies with v in theory of relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses taking dm/dv in order to derive dm/dt as a function of a and dm/dv. The result is correct but the process may be confusing and the formula for dm/dv needs to be corrected. It is also noted that the force should be assumed to act parallel to the velocity, otherwise the relationship between force and acceleration will be different.
Feodalherren
image.jpg

image.png

Am I supposed to take dm/dv? That means m0 is constant, correct?

If I do that I end up getting a m' on the Left hand side... What the heck does that mean?! Also where the crap is the "a" coming from?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider: F = d/dt (p) = m dv/dt + v dm/dt = m a + v dm/dt
Now introduce your idea of taking dm/dv in coming up with dm/dt as a function of a and dm/dv.

Warning: I have not succeeded myself in deriving this result. And I know it's correct, dadblame it!
Somebdy - help!

Feodalherren said:
image.jpg

image.png

Am I supposed to take dm/dv? That means m0 is constant, correct?

If I do that I end up getting a m' on the Left hand side... What the heck does that mean?! Also where the crap is the "a" coming from?!

a = dv/dt.

Feodalherren said:
That means m0 is constant, correct?
Correct.
If I do that I end up getting a m' on the Left hand side... What the heck does that mean?!
Since there is no [itex]m'[/itex] in the problem, the [itex]m'[/itex] means whatever you said it meant when you wrote it down.
Also where the crap is the "a" coming from?!
Read the problem again.

You'll also get a better response if you control your frustration and avoid even mild profanities here.

rude man said:
Consider: F = d/dt (p) = m dv/dt + v dm/dt = m a + v dm/dt
Now introduce your idea of taking dm/dv in coming up with dm/dt as a function of a and dm/dv.

Warning: I have not succeeded myself in deriving this result. And I know it's correct, dadblame it!
Somebdy - help!
It does work.

tms said:
It does work.

Yeah, I know it has to, I just could not get the result.

I think the problem should have stated that the force is assumed to act parallel to the velocity. Perhaps that was meant to be evident by the lack of vector notation. But, anyway, it's worth noting that if the force does not act parallel to the velocity, then you will get a different result for the relationship between the force and acceleration. (In fact, the acceleration is generally not even in the same direction as the force).

I'm still not getting it right. There must be something I'm missing.

The constants are m0 and c, correct?

when I do d/dv I end up with [ -2m0vc^(-2) ] / (1-(v^2/c^2))^3/2

F=d(mv)/dt.

dm/dt=dm/dv dv/dt = a dm/dv .

Your formula for dm/dv is not correct. The first "2" should be 1/2.

ehild

Related to Show that m varies with v in theory of relativity

1. How does the theory of relativity explain the relationship between m and v?

The theory of relativity states that as an object's velocity (v) increases, its mass (m) also increases. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, it requires more and more energy to accelerate it further.

2. Is there a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between m and v in the theory of relativity?

Yes, the equation is m = m0 / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass of the object, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light. This equation is known as the relativistic mass-energy equivalence formula.

3. How does this relationship between m and v affect the concept of inertia?

The increase in mass (m) at higher velocities also affects an object's inertia. This means that at higher velocities, an object will resist changes in its state of motion more strongly, making it more difficult to accelerate or decelerate.

4. Does the theory of relativity only apply to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light?

Yes, the theory of relativity only applies to objects moving at extremely high speeds. At lower speeds, the increase in mass is negligible and the classical laws of physics still apply.

5. Can you provide an example of how the theory of relativity has been confirmed by experiments?

One of the most famous examples is the observation of the increase in mass of particles accelerated in a particle accelerator. As the particles approach the speed of light, their mass increases and this has been confirmed through multiple experiments.