Logical Implications: A, C, and the Outcome

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of certain statements and how they apply in a specific scenario. It also brings up the concept of lying and the meaning of the abbreviation "IOW".
wasteofo2
Anyone know what the answer to this would be?
A implies B
C implies not B
What happens when both A and C occur?

I just asked my brother if he wanted to play basketball with me and my father. He said (as a joke) if I were going, he wouldn't go, but if my father were going, he would go. We were both going. So mathematically, which would he do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The statemetn [itex](A \Rightarrow B) \wedge (C \Rightarrow \neg B) \wedge (A \wedge C)[/itex] is identically false. IOW your brother lied. :smile:

What does IOW mean?

In Other Words

What is the meaning of "A->b" in scientific research?

In scientific research, "A->b" refers to a conditional statement, where A is the antecedent and b is the consequent. This means that if A is true, then b must also be true.

What does "C->~b" indicate in a scientific context?

In scientific research, "C->~b" represents a conditional statement where C is the antecedent and ~b is the negated consequent. This means that if C is true, then b must be false.

What is the relationship between "A" and "C" in the statement "A /\ C->"?

In this statement, "A /\ C->" represents a conditional statement where A and C are both antecedents. This means that if both A and C are true, then the consequent must also be true.

How can "A->b" and "C->~b" be used in scientific research?

"A->b" and "C->~b" can be used in scientific research to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the relationships between different variables. They can also be used to test hypotheses and determine causality between different factors.

What can be inferred from the statement "A /\ C->" in a scientific study?

From "A /\ C->", we can infer that both A and C are necessary conditions for the consequent to be true. This means that in order for the statement to hold true, both A and C must be present.