Paranormal & Physics: Evidence or Weird Interpretations?

• Thread starter pallidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there is no direct evidence for paranormal phenomena, as any physical evidence would make it no longer paranormal. Evidence for the paranormal often comes from fabricating, misinterpreting, or ignoring evidence, or from anecdotal evidence. However, this is not proof of the paranormal, but rather subjective interpretation of extraordinary events. The concept of genuine ESP is not repeatable on demand, making it difficult to study and understand. Anecdotes and examples of successful predictions may speak to the limits of our analysis rather than the existence of paranormal abilities.

Originally posted by Yahweh
You have inadvertantly created a strawman. The underlined part is the strawman.

If there is no evidence that a certain thing exists, we can assume that it exists for the purposes of hypothesis and experimentation (such as Quark Theory), but if repeated experimentation and/or observation fails to show evidence that the thing exists, we can be fairly certain that it just ain't there

I clarified that this references on demand, repeatable ESP. This is a far cry from random, transient events. Are you saying there is no difference? It could well be that we have no evidence for genuine ESP because we have never conceived of a good test. We have anecdotal evidence. Your argument assumes that ESP does not exist, therefore no evidence can ever be had for transient, random events. Your conclusion that mine is a strawman is without any basis. I am not aware of any effort to test for random, transient, ESP events. For example, perhaps one day the lie detector technology, or even advanced brain imaging techology will be made so accurate that such claims can be better evaluated with a high degree of certainty.

One must be careful not to confuse a lack of creativity with someone elses potential strawman.

One must be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that because there is no evidence that something does not exist, that it might exist.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, but where no scientfic tests are yet possible. I don't call people liars because I can't think of a test.

There are a few different ways people try to get around this:
1. You scientists are too narrow-minded
2. You scientists know you're wrong, you just won't admit it
3. You scientists wouldn't accept evidence even if it was shoved in your face
4. There is no evidence that would satisfy you scientists.
5. [Insert Conspiracy Theory Here]
6. Science hasnt come far enough to prove such-and-such
7. Science can't explain everything

Funny, I never said any of these things, except that the last could be true. Certainly we don't have a complete theory by which we may gauge what is and is not possible beyond any doubt.

The rest of your reasoning excludes human experience completely. This may be fine for formal definitions, but that's all. It may have no practical value beyond that formalism.

Prove to a blind person that color exists.

[qutoe]String Theory has a bit more credibility (i.e. Math and generally accepted laws to back it up), its not comparable to that of the paranormal. Dont try to put String Theory in the same boat with metaphysics.[/quote]

Until it can be tested, or at least offer the promise of such, its Philosophy; by definition.

At least one well known physicist has declared String Theory "forever safe".

Its Philosophy!

Pseudoscience is not a method. Pseudoscience is a word that means "theory or facts put down as scientific when they are clearly not scientific".

well, actually it is this:
noun: an activity resembling science but based on fallacious assumptions

Claimed personal experiences are not pseudoscience; nor is the investigation of such claims. Your statements have no bearing on mine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Your argument assumes that ESP does not exist, therefore no evidence can ever be had for transient, random events.
I believe I've already explained that when you experiment for something, and nothing comes up, then its reasonable to say it doesn't exist. That make the method of "assuming that ESP does not exist" different from the process I embrace which is "demonstrating that ESP does not exist". You can't assume things exist when you demonstrate the falsity of the claim.

I am not aware of any effort to test for random, transient, ESP events.
I am aware that the JREF Organization perform 100s of tests for anything paranormal. The preliminary tests are set up and arranged by the people who are performing the tests themselves. The folk fail their own tests. A great deal more effort is involved in trying to prove the claim true, but it just doesn't happen. Of course, these are "ESP on demand" types, so it may not apply.

Here is a story called UNLV unplugs program on human consciousness from ReviewJournal.com . Bigelow, a wealthy Las Vegas businessman with a penchant for funding paranormal research, gave nearly US$4 million to UNLV in 1997 to teach courses on such subjects as dreams, meditation, hypnosis, out-of-body experiences, telepathy, and the ever-popular subject among college students, drug-induced altered states of consciousness. Bigelow pulled the plug on the program in 2002. No explanation was given but perhaps the fact that in five years the program had produced nothing of interest might have had something to do with it. After 5 years, they tested everything (including what is called "spontaneous perturbation", or random events of ESP).

There is a whole field of (pseudo)Science call Parapsychology which has been an established field of paranormal research since 1882. Virtually all things paranormal have their origins from the field of Parapsychology.

Quite a bit of research has gone into Parapsychology.

To say "ESP doesn't occur on demand" is an ad hoc. From Skepdic.com - Ad hoc:
Finally, rejecting explanations that require belief in occult, supernatural or paranormal forces in favor of simpler and more plausible explanations is called applying Occam's razor. It is not the same as ad hoc hypothesizing. For example, let's say I catch you stealing a watch from a shop. You say you did not steal it. I ask you to empty your pockets. You agree and pull out a watch. I say, "Aha!, I was right. You stole the watch." You reply that you did not steal the watch, but you admit that it was not in your pocket when we went into the store. I ask you to explain how the watch got into your pocket and you say that you used telekinesis: you used your thoughts to transport the watch out of a glass case into your pocket. I ask you to repeat the act with another watch and you say "ok." Try as you will, however, you cannot make a watch magically appear in your pocket. You say that there is too much pressure on you to perform or that there are too many bad vibes in the air for you to work your powers. You have offered an ad hoc hypothesis to explain away what looks like a good refutation of your claim. My hypothesis that the watch is in your pocket because you stole it, is not an ad hoc hypothesis. I have chosen to believe a plausible explanation rather than an implausible one. Likewise, given the choice between believing that my headache went away of its own accord or that it went away because some nurse waved her hands over my hand while chanting a mantra, I will opt for the former every time.

It is always more reasonable to apply Occam's razor than to offer speculative ad hoc hypotheses just to maintain the possibility of something supernatural or paranormal.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence, but where no scientfic tests are yet possible. I don't call people liars because I can't think of a test.
From Testimonials:
Testimonials and vivid anecdotes are one of the most popular and convincing forms of evidence presented for beliefs in the transcendent, paranormal, and pseudoscientific. Nevertheless, testimonials and anecdotes in such matters are of little value in establishing the probability of the claims they are put forth to support. Sincere and vivid accounts of one’s encounter with an angel, an alien, a ghost, a Bigfoot, a child claiming to have lived before, purple auras around dying patients, a miraculous dowser, a levitating guru, or a psychic surgeon are of little value in establishing the reasonableness of believing in such matters. Such accounts are inherently subjective, inaccurate, unreliable, and biased. They are on par with televised accounts of satisfied customers of the latest weight loss program or the tastiness of margarine.

The testimonial of personal experience in paranormal or supernatural matters has no scientific value. If others cannot experience the same thing under the same conditions, then there will be no way to verify the experience. If there is no way to test the claims made, then there will be no way to tell if the experience was a delusion or was interpreted correctly. If others can experience the same thing, then it is possible to make a test of the testimonial and determine whether the claim based on it is worthy of belief.

Testimonials regarding paranormal experiences are scientifically worthless because selective thinking and self-deception must be controlled for.

Finally, it should be noted that testimonials are often used in many areas of life, including medical science, and that giving due consideration to such testimonials is considered wise, not foolish. A physician will use the testimonies of his or her patients to draw conclusions about certain medications or procedures. For example, a physician will take anecdotal evidence from a patient about a reaction to a new medication and use that information in deciding to adjust the prescribed dosage or to change the medication. This is quite reasonable. But the physician cannot be selective in listening to testimony, listening only to those claims that fit his or her own prejudices. To do so is to risk harming one’s patients. Nor should the average person be selective when listening to testimonials regarding some paranormal or occult experience.

Funny, I never said any of these things, except that the last could be true.
... I don't believe I claimed you said any of those things...

Certainly we don't have a complete theory by which we may gauge what is and is not possible beyond any doubt.
I think its helpful to note that there is no such thing as "proof beyond any doubt". There is no such thing as "100% proof", however high degrees of certainty can be achieved so that we can say that something is "true" or "untrue". If didnt, we'd never be able to get on with our lives.

The rest of your reasoning excludes human experience completely. This may be fine for formal definitions, but that's all. It may have no practical value beyond that formalism.

Prove to a blind person that color exists.
Color doesn't exist (in the concrete sense).

You are continually shifting the burden of proof, as well as shifting the integrity of is defined as "proof". Those are not good skills to maintain.

A blind person could never experience color. [simplified]When you are a baby and experiencing things, you brain wires itself to understand and comprehend those things. But if you never experience something like the sensation of color, the part of the brain which processes visual information (the Occipital Lobe) is underdeveloped, and will forever remain underdeveloped. (there are a few cases - Hellen Kellar for example - but the medical reasons beyond those are well understood and don't apply in this situation).[/simplified] So its quite meaningless to prove to a blind person that color exists when they have no concept of what it is.

And again, you are lumping "personal experience" as a form of establishing proof, however I will contend that Parapsychologist Charles Tart is blinkered beyond repair for understanding the mechanism of "human curiosity" vs. "human fallibillity" (there is a famous story of Charles Tart mistaking a clearly well understood physical phenomena - call sound traveling through the ground - for solid evidence of the Paranormal). However, there are differing degrees of scientific integrity for establishing claims of ESP (i.e. Paranormal claims are held at a higher standard).

Until it can be tested, or at least offer the promise of such, its Philosophy; by definition.
By definition, its "Theoretical Physics".

Materialism is an example of what is defined as a Philosophy.

Philosophy does not mean "things which cannot be tested".

well, actually it is this:

Claimed personal experiences are not pseudoscience; nor is the investigation of such claims. Your statements have no bearing on mine.
I'm afraid I don't understand why my statements have no bearing on yours.

Making predictions that cannot yet be tested is one of the neatest things about theoretical physics. A great number of the predictions of Relativity and QM could not be tested until recently (and some still can't be). The fact that these predictions, once testable, verified the theories is one of the neatest aspects of science.

Also, just to be clear, there is a difference between "inherrently un-testable" and "un-testable with today's technology." The first points to pseudoscience, the second is just highly theoretical science.

An example of something that is inherrently untestable are the ESP tests you gave in another thread where you conceded that only a test which scientists consider scientifically flawed could verify the hypothesis. To science, that makes the hypothesis untestable.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You know that!
Ivan, a failed test is evidence and you know that! Ie, if a test for an effect fails enough times, you can draw a scientifically valid conclusion that the effect isn't there. Certainly, you can think up a new test, but if that yields no effect, then you have strengthened the body of evidence that suggests the effect isn't there. Sooner or later, you have to conclude that to a reasonable scientific burden of proof, the effect does not exist. The cold fusion debacle is a great example of some scientists accepting that reality while others clung to a false hope.

Yahweh, your posts fit with my opinion (and I think that of the scientific community) and you make your points very well. Nice posts.

Originally posted by Yahweh
I believe I've already explained that when you experiment for something, and nothing comes up, then its reasonable to say it doesn't exist. That make the method of "assuming that ESP does not exist" different from the process I embrace which is "demonstrating that ESP does not exist". You can't assume things exist when you demonstrate the falsity of the claim.

You seem to keep ignoring that I'm not talking about the results that you cite.

I am aware that the JREF Organization perform 100s of tests for anything paranormal. The preliminary tests are set up and arranged by the people who are performing the tests themselves. The folk fail their own tests. A great deal more effort is involved in trying to prove the claim true, but it just doesn't happen. Of course, these are "ESP on demand" types, so it may not apply.

This is the case. My most profound interests lie in the experiences of people I have known and other compelling testimony e.g. that given by some police investigators.

To say "ESP doesn't occur on demand" is an ad hoc. From Skepdic.com - Ad hoc:

No, again you only think so because you assume that no spontaneous ESP exists. My reasoning comes from claims of human experience; this is not used to dodge other results. I addressed those results and admit that little to nothing is found.

.. I don't believe I claimed you said any of those things...

fair enough.

I think its helpful to note that there is no such thing as "proof beyond any doubt". There is no such thing as "100% proof", however high degrees of certainty can be achieved so that we can say that something is "true" or "untrue". If didnt, we'd never be able to get on with our lives.

True, and most people choose to believe their own experiences and upbringing, and those experiences of friends and family, over the present understanding possible through science. In fact, any true belief requires a leap of faith on some level; including any belief that we have in the assumptions of, and surely the completeness of mathematics and physics.

You are continually shifting the burden of proof, as well as shifting the integrity of is defined as "proof". Those are not good skills to maintain.

No, you fail to address my statements in their proper context. How many paragraphs have you dedicated to that which I dismissed outright; the failure of ESP to be produced on demand. Then you try to disqualify my position by claiming that an honest evaluation of the anecdotal evidence is an ah-hoc argument. Your position is riddled with false assumptions.

A blind person could never experience color. [simplified]When you are a baby and experiencing things, you brain wires itself to understand and comprehend those things. But if you never experience something like the sensation of color, the part of the brain which processes visual information (the Occipital Lobe) is underdeveloped, and will forever remain underdeveloped. (there are a few cases - Hellen Kellar for example - but the medical reasons beyond those are well understood and don't apply in this situation).[/simplified] So its quite meaningless to prove to a blind person that color exists when they have no concept of what it is.

Well, then we will consider the exceptions in this case.

And again, you are lumping "personal experience" as a form of establishing proof,

now you are way over the line. I never said any such thing. We can use anecdotal evidence to yield clues about how to obtain any potential scientific evidence.

By definition, its "Theoretical Physics"

It must be testable to be science. Name one test that we even hope for here. You can’t dance on both sides of the street...science requires evidence. Presently, there is more evidence for ESP than string theory.

Philosophy does not mean "things which cannot be tested"

Yes, it does; when a conclusion is made by means of logic and mathematics, but when no physical evidence to support such conclusions. The statement was: “String Theory is forever safe”. That is a very damning accusation for a “scientific theory”. Perhaps you forget that physics is a special branch of philosophy.

I'm afraid I don't understand why my statements have no bearing on yours.

I do not submit anecdotal evidence as scientific evidence, nor do I refer to the obvious failures of “on demand” ESP for proof of anything. I think we might soon be able to test whether or not a person tells what he believes to be the truth. If and when we can nail this technology down, my suggestion is that claims of spontaneous ESP events could be evaluated. This is no dreamier than hoping for a test for String Theory. Clearly there is no mathematical model to predict ESP as there is for ST, but we do still discover much of the world without the ability to predict those discoveries. Strong anecdotal evidence is sufficient to justify a scientific interest without drawing any conclusions.

Last edited:
Comments made in the last post address comments from Russ as well.

By the way Russ, as I remember, you actually believe in ESP don't you?

Edit:
I should respond to this:
Ivan, a failed test is evidence and you know that! Ie, if a test for an effect fails enough times, you can draw a scientifically valid conclusion that the effect isn't there.

However, this is limited to the interpretation of the alleged effects that we seek, and the assumptions made in the experiment. As I have said, there is very little evidence to support ESP as defined, but the subject is much broader than something we can do in a lab. For example, some of the most compelling claims come from the families of persons killed or seriously injured. Many, many, many accounts are found where the mother allegedly knew instantly that her son was killed, or that a daughter knew her father needed help, or that a mother knew her baby was in trouble. In these extreme situations the emotions and personal significance must be considered as potentially significant [scientifically] to the alleged phenomenon. I am quite sure that we didn't kill people to see if their mothers could sense it. So this is only one example of many situations that may be impossible to simulate and that must be evaluated by some other means. I have read enough cases to know that if true, types of cases exist where family members and friends could be tested for the truth of their claims, and this would yield proof or not for ESP to within the accuracy of the lie detector.

Last edited:
No evidence? PLEASE read The Conscious Universe by Dean Radin Ph.D.
The effectiveness of many new pharmaceuticals hailed as "miracle drugs" have been proven far less, statistically, than many types of psi phenomena.

Why is it that the specific cases that "debunkers" usually cite when they practice their craft are culled from the pages of National Enquirer, etc? No one can deny that that there are a great many bogus claims made about "paranormal" events. We don't NEED anyone to help us realize that Elvis' ghost didn't really father some woman's baby. Using the analogy of a playground, anybody can pick on the little kids...and those who are lacking in character usually do. I want to see you guys go take a swing at the big kids (see first paragraph).

By the way Russ, as I remember, you actually believe in ESP don't you?
No, I don't, but I once convinced my sister I was telepathic when I guessed her thoughts correctly 3 times in a row.

I was thinking that in the "What do you believe" thread you had indicated otherwise. My mistake. However many of the rest of your beliefs still surprised me. Transdimensional beings?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3977

How do you distinguish between communication to or from God through prayer, and ESP? Is there mortal to divine ESP, but no mortal to mortal ESP?

Also, how can you be sure that you didn’t read your sister’s mind? Were these guesses based on your familiarity with her, or do you believe in luck?

I don't know Russ...I think we might have a psychic on our hands here...

I was thinking that in the "What do you believe" thread you had indicated otherwise. My mistake. However many of the rest of your beliefs still surprised me. Transdimensional beings?
I'm still not sure what a "transdimensional being" is, but in any case, I probably should have answered YES to the Loch Ness/other one, since its VERY broad. Ever hear of the megamouth shark? And maybe should have answered NO to the spirits one. I was probably linking that to the concept of a soul.

For most of the others, be careful not to make any logical leaps: those categories are broad and open to interpretation. I believe in ET for example, but that doesn't mean I think he's been here. Indeed, I think odds are by the end of my lifetime we may prove he exists, but we won't ever have direct contact with him. And the first 5 can be loosely connected to just about any religion, but that again doesn't mean anyone's ever seen a demon or angel.

Maybe I'm a little more open minded than you think though. :wink:
How do you distinguish between communication to or from God through prayer, and ESP? Is there mortal to divine ESP, but no mortal to mortal ESP?
Communication with God would be one way and would simply be a matter of his omniscience. If he knows everything he knows our thoughts - our prayers. ESP applies only to humans.
Also, how can you be sure that you didn’t read your sister’s mind? Were these guesses based on your familiarity with her, or do you believe in luck?
I of course can't be sure I didn't read her mind, but the guesses were pretty obvious - the first thing she was thinking was "you're full of ---." And luck (probability) isn't something to believe in or not, its a property of data.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I'm still not sure what a "transdimensional being" is, but in any case, I probably should have answered YES to the Loch Ness/other one, since its VERY broad. Ever hear of the megamouth shark? And maybe should have answered NO to the spirits one. I was probably linking that to the concept of a soul.

megamouth shark? Only in a fossilized format. Why?

For most of the others, be careful not to make any logical leaps: those categories are broad and open to interpretation. I believe in ET for example, but that doesn't mean I think he's been here. Indeed, I think odds are by the end of my lifetime we may prove he exists, but we won't ever have direct contact with him. And the first 5 can be loosely connected to just about any religion, but that again doesn't mean anyone's ever seen a demon or angel.

Interesting. I agree that the categories are very broad and ET does not mean ET in UFOs, at least not necessarily, but your comment about angels surprises me. What about biblical encounters?

Maybe I'm a little more open minded than you think though. :wink:

Boy now we need some serious debunking here!

Really, closed minded is not the right expression. I knew that you had some religious beliefs. That puts you in a very different class than many skeptics [no insult intended in either case]. I think you and I butt heads over formalisms more than belief systems.

Communication with God would be one way and would simply be a matter of his omniscience. If he knows everything he knows our thoughts - our prayers. ESP applies only to humans. I of course can't be sure I didn't read her mind, but the guesses were pretty obvious - the first thing she was thinking was "you're full of ---." And luck (probability) isn't something to believe in or not, its a property of data.

By similar reasoning, omnipotence means two way communications. Once we open the door to the divine, anything God desires is possible.

As for luck, I believe in perturbations from the norm. Whether or not these perturbations are random are questions of predestination and divine intervention.

megamouth shark? Only in a fossilized format. Why?
Linky Its a rare, but contemporary species. 14 examples have been seen since discovery in 1976. Now, the poll question said "Loch Ness or other unidentified lake creatures." Pretty broad and the megamouth would fit if it were a fresh water fish. Its certainly possible that there are unknown species in some remote and deep lakes.
your comment about angels surprises me. What about biblical encounters?
I probably should have qualified it a lttle - I certainly do believe biblical accounts, but modern accounts, no. Too many people see what they want to see and the Virgin Mary is not going to make a cameo as a water spot on a building.
As for luck, I believe in perturbations from the norm. Whether or not these perturbations are random are questions of predestination and divine intervention.
Also the basis for most of what I've seen of ESP (and my buddy with the gambling fixation). A lot of people lose a lot of money by convincing themselves they can defeat the math of probability.