Is Empty Space Truly Empty or Packed with Energy?

• Thread starter CHORGENSOTRUFORX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of empty space and how it is defined, as well as the theories of the Holographic Universe, quantum gravity, and string theory. There is also a humorous side discussion about Rubik's cubes and their possible connection to elementary particles. The conversation highlights the importance of scientific assumptions and the need for empirical evidence to test theories.
CHORGENSOTRUFORX
In a book called the Holographic UNiverse, it has been suggested that what people now consider empty space has more energy than all in the universe. This, i am guessing is an exageration, but how do we know empty space exists?

Physics news on Phys.org
We deduce that space exists from our senses. Our lifes revolve about things happening in 3-d space and evolving in time.
We consider empty space as space without atoms or other particles. Even if in practice all space has some radiation flowing through and some particles zipping by, we could say that some regions of space are almost empty, at least compared to the atmostphere. We can focus on those properties of space that don't relate to electromagnetic radiation or the few particles we might find. We can call this "empty space".
In classical physics, we talk about friction-less surfaces. You may say: how do we know that friction-less surfaces exist?. Well, we can find tricky ways to reduce friction to negligible levels, but even if we couldn't, we can always imagine a friction-less surface and then focus on all other forces except friction. Abstraction is a very important tool in physics.
Now, if you read that in empty space there are quantum fluctuations and virtual particles and then you say that in that case empty space is not empty, you may be right. But it appears people by convention have decided to call that space empty, and it would be useless to argue.
We consider space as that thing (empty or not) that separates bodies. I guess it would be a valid question to ask if space would exist if there were no bodies, no matter. Probably space only exists if there are some massive bodies floating around, but I would leave that discussion to those who have enough knowledge to give informed opinions (I don't know enough).
The holographic universe is a very speculative theory and I would stay away from it. If I were you I would also not try to understand too much about string theory and quantum gravity as these are very advanced theories that are still in evolution and that require very advanced math. I would stick to understanding quantum mechanics and also the special theory of relativity.
About you comment on what you read about empty space containing more energy than the rest of the universe, if some sicentists think that way it is because they calculated it based on certain assumptions. Scientists normally don't make wild guesses or exagerate. They may be wrong, but because they made the wrong assumptions, not because they exagerated. The assumptions are ultimatelly tested by comparing their consequences with experiment or measurements of the universe.
--Alex--

Please tell me the basic idea of quantum gravity. What is the fundamental concept behind the idea of quantum gravity? I would also like to know the basic idea behind string theory, but can you please at least tell me what it is that string theory is trying to account for or explain?

The string Theory is trying to find an explanation for gravity on the particle scale.
Strings can vibrate in certain ways to make certain particles, one of those possibly being a graviton.

billy_boy_999 said:
you are fools, all of you!

they are not strings, they are Rubik's cubes! all elementary particles are made of tiny Rubik's cubes!

have you ever solved a Rubik's cube? of course not, and its a good thing - an atomic blast is simply a little elf finally solving a tiny Rubik's cube...imagine what a big one would do...they should take them off the market for sure...

Where did you come from??

1. What is the definition of "space" in relation to outer space?

The term "space" in outer space refers to the vast, empty expanse beyond the Earth's atmosphere. It is a vacuum that is filled with various forms of radiation and particles, including light and cosmic rays.

2. Is there a limit to how far outer space extends?

There is currently no known limit to how far outer space extends. The observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light years in diameter, but it is believed that there may be even more beyond what we can currently see.

3. How is outer space different from the Earth's atmosphere?

Outer space is significantly different from the Earth's atmosphere. It is a vacuum with extremely low pressure and no breathable air. It also experiences extreme temperatures and is filled with radiation and cosmic rays that are not present in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Can humans survive in outer space?

Humans cannot survive in outer space without the proper equipment and protection. The lack of breathable air and extreme temperatures can be deadly. However, with the use of spacesuits and spacecrafts, humans can temporarily survive and explore outer space.

5. How is space exploration beneficial to us?

Space exploration has numerous benefits for humanity. It allows us to gain a better understanding of our universe and how it works. It also leads to technological advancements, such as satellite communication and GPS. It also has the potential for discovering new resources and even habitable planets for future colonization.