Exploring the Mysteries of Black Holes and Light

In summary, black holes have a strong gravitational pull due to the intense curvature of space around them, causing even light to be attracted towards them. This is explained by the theory of General Relativity, which shows that gravity is just a warping of spacetime.
benzun_1999
blackholes and light.....

Dear Reader,
are black holes capable of attracting light?
-benzun
the more dimensions we know, the more we know.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes. Light in the neighborhood of a black hole does odd things because of the gravitic attraction (= highly curved geodesics). I am sure some of our experts can give you links to anumations.

Hi,
In the framework of general relativity, mass is able to create a great distortion in spacetime, so spacetime around a BH will be very curved.
Photons have not mass, but they have energy, and in general relativity things with energy always follow the straightest way possible, that is called a geodesic. Near a black hole, the geodesic of a photon conducts to the black hole, so yes, photons will be attracted

Welcome to Physics Forums, benzun_1999

meteor's explanation was good, but there is another implication here: since all mass warps space, all mass "attracts light"(not the wording I'd use, but it'll do). Black holes are not special in that regard.

For example, a photon passing by a star at a certain distance will have its path bent by the same amount as a photon passing by a black hole of the same mass at the same distance (measured from the center of each).

thanks...but...need more help

hi,
thank you phobos for inviting me. How does general relativity come hear. i am new to astronomy. i feel photons have relative mass.
-benzun
go easy on me

Originally posted by benzun_1999
hi,
How does general relativity come hear?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why General Relativity has something to do with your previous question? If so, it's because General Relativity is the theory that showed that gravity is just a warping or curvature of spacetime. Thus it is not that the BH attracts light, but rather that the light must follow the straightest path possible (path of least resistance), and must thus curve its path right along with the curve in spacetime.

Of course, the velocity of the object plays a role, which is why most things do not "trap" photons (since they are traveling very fast), but black holes are such a "steep" (for lack of a better word) curvature that even light cannot escape.

1. What is a black hole and how is it formed?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity, becoming extremely dense.

2. How do black holes affect light?

Black holes have such a strong gravitational pull that they can bend and distort light rays that pass by them. This effect, known as gravitational lensing, can cause objects behind the black hole to appear distorted or even duplicated.

3. Can we see black holes?

Black holes themselves are invisible, since no light can escape from them. However, we can observe the effects of black holes on their surroundings, such as the distortion of light and the emission of X-rays from the material that is being pulled into the black hole.

4. How are black holes studied and researched?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study black holes, including telescopes that can detect X-rays and gravitational waves. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to better understand the behavior and properties of black holes.

5. What is the significance of studying black holes and their interaction with light?

Studying black holes and their interaction with light can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It can also provide insights into phenomena such as gravity, time, and space that are still not fully understood. Additionally, black holes play a crucial role in the evolution of galaxies and the formation of stars.