Creating 500Ω Resistance with 12 600Ω Resistors

In summary, the experts discussed how to arrange 12 resistors rated for 600ohms to create a total resistance of 500ohms. They used the algebraic method to determine the necessary configuration and concluded that a possible solution is to have 3 resistors in parallel, 3 resistors in parallel, and 6 resistors in parallel joined in series. They also considered creating a cube with 12 sides, but ultimately determined that it was not a feasible solution.
sheldon
If you have 12 resistors, each rated for 600ohms, how could you arrange them to make a total resistance of 500ohms?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The joyous algebraic method. :smile:

Let 1/a + 1/b = 1/c

c = a * b / (a + b)

let a = 600 x and b = 600 y and c = 500

(We are setting up a parallel circuit, one with x resistors, and the other with y resistors in parallel)

we get then

(x * y * 360000)/(600(x+y)) = 500

Which simplifies to...
x * y / (x + y) = 5/6

Which we can turn into:
x = 5y/(6y - 5)

Now, set y = 1.

x = 5 / 1 = 5

So one easy possiblity is to have 5 resistors in series on one branch and 1 on the other.

Multiply by two if you need to use all 12 resistors.

I see how you get 500 ohms with 6 resistors but don't understand how you got it with 12?

You could do it with only 5 resistors

3 600 Ohm resistors in parallel (200 Ohms)

In series with:

2 600 Ohm resistors in parallel (300 Ohms)

= 500 Ohms.

Oops.

For 12 resistors, the solution is:

3 in parallel, 3 in parallel and 6 in parallel joined in series.

Ok I heard if you made a cube, which has 12 sides and put a 600 ohm resistor on them it would equal 500 ohms.

Yeah but...

How many cubes have twelve sides?

[edit]
Cheese, ok I drew it out and get it now,haha.

I've forgotten what the question was as I edit this, but looking at my sketch I see that starting at one of the corners of such an array and assuming a current of '1', the flow would split in three equal 'parts' (each carrying 1/3). The three split again in two directions (each then carrying 1/6). Next the 1/6 branches would combine again into three (each now carrying 1/3), and these three combine again to bring us back to the original amount inserted at an opposite corner.
Does that make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How can 500Ω resistance be created using 12 600Ω resistors?

The easiest way to create 500Ω resistance using 12 600Ω resistors is by connecting them in parallel. This means that all 12 resistors would be connected to the same two points, with their positive ends connected to one point and their negative ends to the other. This will result in a combined resistance of 500Ω.

2. Can the resistors be connected in series instead?

Yes, it is possible to connect the resistors in series to create 500Ω resistance. However, this would require a total of 6 series connections, with each series having 2 resistors in parallel. This method may be more time-consuming and complex compared to directly connecting all the resistors in parallel.

3. What is the advantage of connecting the resistors in parallel?

Connecting the resistors in parallel allows for a simpler and more efficient circuit design. It also ensures that the total resistance of the circuit is exactly 500Ω, as opposed to connecting them in series which may result in a slightly different resistance due to tolerance differences between the resistors.

4. Is it possible to create 500Ω resistance using a combination of different resistor values?

Yes, it is possible to create 500Ω resistance using a combination of different resistor values. For example, you could use 6 1000Ω resistors in parallel with 6 100Ω resistors in parallel to achieve a total resistance of 500Ω.

5. How can I ensure that the resistors are connected correctly?

To ensure that the resistors are connected correctly, it is important to double check the connections and use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the circuit. The resistance should be close to 500Ω, with a small margin of error due to tolerance differences between the resistors.