Show that diagonals in a diamond (rhombus) are orthogonal

In summary, the diagonals in a diamond are orthogonal if and only if the angles between them are \frac{\pi}{2}.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am working with a exemple that I think they got some incorrect.
Exemple 10.Show that diagonals in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal.

I understand that \(\displaystyle AC•BD=0\) cause of dot product and if it's orthogonal the angle is \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}\)
I understand all the part until the step before the last one
2dqqclx.jpg

Edit: last part got cut in picture, it should be: \(\displaystyle |BC|^2-|AB|^2=0\)

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Show that diagonala in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal

Are you talking about how:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AB}\cdot\left(\overline{AD}-\overline{BC} \right)=0\) ?

If so, this is because:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AD}=\overline{BC}\)

Re: Show that diagonala in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal

MarkFL said:
Are you talking about how:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AB}\cdot\left(\overline{AD}-\overline{BC} \right)=0\) ?

If so, this is because:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AD}=\overline{BC}\)
Hello Mark!
Thanks for the fast respond! Now evrything make sense! I did confuse myself and thought they did rewrite \(\displaystyle AB•AD=AB•(AD-BC)\) but they did rewrite \(\displaystyle AB•AD-BC•AB=AB(AD-BC)\) and indeed \(\displaystyle AD=BC\) so we could also rewrite that as \(\displaystyle AB(BC-BC)\) or \(\displaystyle AB(AD-AD)\). I did not see that.. Thanks a lot evrything make sense now!

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I am working with a exemple that I think they got some incorrect.
Exemple 10.Show that diagonals in a diamond(romb) is orthogonal.

There is little new in my post except to point out some advantages of vector notation.

Use [tex]\overrightarrow {AB} [/tex] as the vector from A to B and [tex]\|\overrightarrow {AB}\| [/tex] as the length of the vector.

Now if [tex]\overrightarrow {AB} ~\&~\overrightarrow {AD} [/tex] are adjacent sides of a convex quadrilateral, then the diagonals are [tex]\overrightarrow {AB}+\overrightarrow {AD}~\&~\overrightarrow {AB}-\overrightarrow {AD} [/tex].

Note that [tex]\left( {\overrightarrow {AB} + \overrightarrow {AD} } \right) \cdot \left( {\overrightarrow {AB} - \overrightarrow {AD} } \right) = {\left\| {\overrightarrow {AB} } \right\|^2} - {\left\| {\overrightarrow {AD} } \right\|^2}[/tex].

But in a rhombus those two sides are equal length, giving us zero.

Hello |\pi\rangle,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this example. I agree with your understanding of the concept and the steps leading up to the last one. To show that the diagonals in a diamond (rhombus) are orthogonal, we can use the Pythagorean theorem and the definition of dot product.

Let's consider a diamond with points A, B, C, and D as shown in the figure below:

[insert figure of diamond with points A, B, C, and D labeled]

We can find the length of each side using the distance formula:

|AB| = \sqrt{(x_B-x_A)^2 + (y_B-y_A)^2}

|BC| = \sqrt{(x_C-x_B)^2 + (y_C-y_B)^2}

|CD| = \sqrt{(x_D-x_C)^2 + (y_D-y_C)^2}

|DA| = \sqrt{(x_A-x_D)^2 + (y_A-y_D)^2}

Now, let's consider the dot product of the diagonals AC and BD:

AC•BD = (x_C-x_A)(x_D-x_B) + (y_C-y_A)(y_D-y_B)

= (x_Cx_D-x_Cx_B-x_Ax_D+x_Ax_B) + (y_Cy_D-y_Cy_B-y_Ay_D+y_Ay_B)

= x_Cx_D-x_Cx_B-x_Ax_D+x_Ax_B + y_Cy_D-y_Cy_B-y_Ay_D+y_Ay_B

= (x_Cx_D-x_Ax_B) + (y_Cy_D-y_Ay_B)

= (x_C-x_A)(x_D-x_B) + (y_C-y_A)(y_D-y_B)

= |AC||BD| cos \theta

Where \theta is the angle between the diagonals AC and BD.

Since we know that |AC||BD| = 0 (as shown in the previous steps), we can conclude that cos \theta = 0. This means that the angle between the diagonals is \frac{\pi}{2} (90 degrees), which confirms that the diagonals are orthogonal.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify any confusion and reaffirms the concept of orthogonal diagonals in a diamond. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Related to Show that diagonals in a diamond (rhombus) are orthogonal

1. What is a diamond (rhombus)?

A diamond, also known as a rhombus, is a four-sided shape with all sides equal in length and opposite sides parallel to each other.

2. How do you show that the diagonals in a diamond are orthogonal?

To show that diagonals in a diamond are orthogonal, you can use the properties of a rhombus. Since a rhombus has all sides equal and opposite sides parallel, it can be divided into two congruent triangles. Using the properties of congruent triangles, you can prove that the diagonals are perpendicular.

3. What does it mean for lines to be orthogonal?

Orthogonal lines are lines that intersect at a right angle. This means that they form a 90-degree angle at the point of intersection.

4. Can you provide a real-life example of orthogonal lines?

One example of orthogonal lines in real life is the corners of a square or rectangular room. The walls intersect at right angles, forming orthogonal lines.

5. Why is it important to prove that diagonals in a diamond are orthogonal?

Proving that diagonals in a diamond are orthogonal is important because it helps us understand the properties of different geometric shapes. It also allows us to make accurate measurements and calculations in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design.