Show that c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 is invariant under a change of frame

In summary, we can show that the quantity T = c^2(Δt)^2 - (Δx)^2 - (Δy)^2 - (Δz)^2 is invariant under a change of frame using the Lorentz transformations. After substituting the transformations into the original invariant and simplifying, we can see that the gamma terms cancel out the v and c squared terms, resulting in T' = T. This proves that T is indeed invariant under a change of frame.
phosgene
[itex][/itex]

Homework Statement

Show that the quantity

[itex]T = c^2(Δt)^2 - (Δx)^2 - (Δy)^2 - (Δz)^2[/itex]

is invariant under a change of frame

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations

[itex]Δx' = \gamma(Δx - vΔt)[/itex]

[itex]Δt' = \gamma(Δt - vΔx/c^2)[/itex]

[itex]Δy' = Δy[/itex]

[itex]Δz' = Δz[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the way to do this is to substitute the Lorentz transformations into the original invariant and then do some algebra, but I end up with the following:

[itex]T' = c^2(Δt')^2 - (Δx')^2 - (Δy')^2 - (Δz')^2[/itex]

[itex]=c^2(\gamma(Δt - vΔx/c^2))^2 - (\gamma(Δx - vΔt))^2 - (Δy)^2 - (Δz)^2[/itex]

After doing some algebra I get

[itex]T' = \gamma^2c^2Δt^2 + \gamma^2v^2Δx^2/c^2 - \gamma^2Δx^2 - \gamma^2v^2Δt^2 - (Δy)^2 - (Δz)^2[/itex]

I also try to express gamma in terms of

[itex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/itex]

But the equation gets much worse without any apparent progress. I only see it stated in textbooks and websites that plugging in the formula leads to the answer, but no actual steps in between. I'm really confused here and would greatly appreciate help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try grouping all the Δx2 and Δy2 terms, see what you get then.

Ahh, so the gamma terms cancel out the v and c squared terms. Thanks for that, I've been trying to get it for ages!

Related to Show that c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 is invariant under a change of frame

1. What does it mean for something to be invariant under a change of frame?

When something is invariant under a change of frame, it means that its value remains the same regardless of the reference frame or perspective from which it is observed. In other words, the physical quantity does not change when the coordinates used to describe it are transformed.

2. How is the quantity c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 related to a change of frame?

This quantity is known as the spacetime interval and is used to measure the distance between two events in 4-dimensional spacetime. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is invariant under a change of frame, meaning its value remains the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

3. What is the significance of c in the equation c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2?

The quantity c represents the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in the universe. It is the maximum speed at which all objects and information can travel, and is a crucial component in the theory of special relativity.

4. How does this equation demonstrate the principles of special relativity?

The equation c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 is a manifestation of the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. By showing that this equation is invariant under a change of frame, it demonstrates that the laws of physics do not depend on the reference frame from which they are observed.

5. Can you give an example of how this equation is used in practical applications?

One practical application of this equation is in the Global Positioning System (GPS). The satellites in the GPS system use atomic clocks to precisely measure the time it takes for signals to travel from the satellite to the receiver on Earth. The equation c^2(t^2) - x^2 - y^2 - z^2 is used to correct for the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the satellites' high speeds, ensuring accurate location data for GPS users on Earth.