Show that a line is parallel to and below the plane

In summary, the given line is parallel to and below the plane 5x - 3y + 3z = 1. To prove this, we first found two points on the line and created a directional vector. Then, we showed that this vector was orthogonal to the normal vector of the plane, proving that the line and plane are parallel. To show that the line is below the plane, we looked at the intersection of the plane with the y-z plane and found that the equation of this line was z = y + 1/3. By graphing the two lines, we can see that the line with the equation z = y is just below the other line, thus proving that the line is below the plane.
aero_zeppelin

Homework Statement

Letting the line be x=0 , y = t and z = t

Show that the line is parallel to and below the plane 5x - 3y + 3z = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

- First I assigned t = 1 and t = 4 to obtain two points of the line:
P1 = (0,1,1) and P2 = (0,4,4)

- Then I created a directional vector P1P2 = (0-0, 4-1 , 4-1) = (0,3,3)

- We know that n = (5, -3, 3)

- So if we prove that n and P1P2 are orthogonal (i.e.their dot product is 0), then THE PLANE AND LINE ARE PARALLEL.

Please tell me if I made any mistake so far...

- But how do you prove the line is BELOW the plane?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
... the next question asks for the same but this time ABOVE the plane :P

Thanks in advance!

aero_zeppelin said:

Homework Statement

Letting the line be x=0 , y = t and z = t

Show that the line is parallel to and below the plane 5x - 3y + 3z = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

- First I assigned t = 1 and t = 4 to obtain two points of the line:
P1 = (0,1,1) and P2 = (0,4,4)

- Then I created a directional vector P1P2 = (0-0, 4-1 , 4-1) = (0,3,3)

- We know that n = (5, -3, 3)

- So if we prove that n and P1P2 are orthogonal (i.e.their dot product is 0), then THE PLANE AND LINE ARE PARALLEL.

Please tell me if I made any mistake so far...

- But how do you prove the line is BELOW the plane?

Thanks!

Every point on the line has an x-coordinate of 0, and is contained in the y-z plane. Look at the intersection of your given plane with the y-z plane, which will be another line. Call this line L2. To show that the line is below the plane, every point on the line should have a z-value that is less than that of the corresponding point on L2.

Similar idea for your follow-on question.

Last edited:
Ok, so I need to find the line of intersection between the given plane and the yz plane.

Hmmm, to do that we set the system:
5x - 3y + 3z = 1
y - z = 0

Right?

Then solve it and obtain:
y = z (or y = t and z = t)
x = 1/5

I don't understand the part about "every z-value must be less than that of the corresponding point on L2."

thx again

aero_zeppelin said:
Ok, so I need to find the line of intersection between the given plane and the yz plane.

Hmmm, to do that we set the system:
5x - 3y + 3z = 1
y - z = 0

Right?
No, not at all. The line whose parametric equations you're working with does not intersect the plane, so the system above has no solution.

Every point in the y-z plane (AKA, the plane x = 0) has an x-coordinate of 0, so set x = 0 in the equation of your plane.
aero_zeppelin said:
Then solve it and obtain:
y = z (or y = t and z = t)
x = 1/5

I don't understand the part about "every z-value must be less than that of the corresponding point on L2."
L is the line given parametrically. L2 is the line of intersection between the plane (x - 3y + 3z = 1) and the y-z plane.

Once you figure out the equations of the two lines it should be fairly obvious which one is above, and which one is below.

I'm kind of lost now :S I can't see it lol

We know the given line and the given plane are parallel - i.e. they DON'T intersect, correct?

aero_zeppelin said:
We know the given line and the given plane are parallel - i.e. they DON'T intersect, correct?

Correct.

Your parametric line (L) can be written as z = y, right? (And x = 0.)

What is the equation of line L2, which is the intersection of the plane x - 3y + 3z = 1 in the plane x = 0? Substitute 0 for x in the equation of the plane. What do you get? This really isn't very complicated.

yeah, I guess the answer will be obvious. I don't know what I'm missing here loll

Well, if you substitute 0, you get -3y + 3z = 1 , which looks like the equation of a yz plane? but if y = z then you get nothing (0 = 1 ? No solution)

aero_zeppelin said:
yeah, I guess the answer will be obvious. I don't know what I'm missing here loll

Well, if you substitute 0, you get -3y + 3z = 1 , which looks like the equation of a yz plane?
In the yz plane, this is a line. If you solve for z, what do you get?

aero_zeppelin said:
but if y = z then you get nothing (0 = 1 ? No solution)
The two lines are parallel, so of course they don't intersect. You seem to be forgetting what you're trying to show, that one of them is above the other.

yeah, I'm getting all mixed up here...

So, solving for z you'd get z = 1/3 + y

OK, good.

In the x = 0 plane, one line's equation is z = y. The other line's equation is z = y + 1/3. The latter line is in the plane.

Which one is above?

If you're having trouble seeing this, graph both lines. Label the axes with the y-axis being the horizontal axis and the z-axis being vertical axis.

Are you trying to do this without having a drawing?

Yeah, no drawing (until now), I was trying to get a numerical proof of this.

So, I'm drawing the graph...

It looks like the x=0, y=z line is JUST below the other one (by about 0.3333 units in the z-axis).

I believe this is what you meant by "every z-value must be less than that of the corresponding point on L2"

What confuses me is the fact that we are using the same x=0 and y=z values in the
5x - 3y + 3z = 1 plane ... Are we just trying to set two very similar planes and lines?

aero_zeppelin said:
Yeah, no drawing (until now), I was trying to get a numerical proof of this.
In this context, "above" and "below" are visual concepts.
aero_zeppelin said:
So, I'm drawing the graph...

It looks like the x=0, y=z line is JUST below the other one (by about 0.3333 units in the z-axis).
How about exactly 1/3.
aero_zeppelin said:
I believe this is what you meant by "every z-value must be less than that of the corresponding point on L2"
Yes.
aero_zeppelin said:
What confuses me is the fact that we are using the same x=0 and y=z values in the
5x - 3y + 3z = 1 plane ... Are we just trying to set two very similar planes and lines?
The title of this thread is "Show that a line is parallel to and below the plane"
The line of the title is the one with the parametric equations. It lies entirely in the plane x = 0 (the y-z plane). "Below" suggests that we look at the z-values on the line and the z-values on the portion of the plane that is directly above the line (IOW, the intersection of the plane with the y-z plane).

You have to work a lot harder to see this if you don't have a drawing.

It's a lot clearer now! I'm self-teaching all this stuff, so you might guess why I'm having some trouble with it hehe

By the way, do you know any good Linear algebra and vectors book? I've been using Elementary linear algebra (anton/rorre - 9th edition) but I don't think it prepares the student well for this kind of problems

thanks a lot for your help and time

The book you have is probably OK. I have one by just Anton, 5th Ed. I would guess that your problems stem from some lack of understanding of precalculus concepts. If you're self-teaching, take a look at the materials at khanacademy.org - I think that's the site.

I'll take a look at that website... thanks for the advice!

Related to Show that a line is parallel to and below the plane

1. How do you determine if a line is parallel to a plane?

To determine if a line is parallel to a plane, you need to find the slope of the line and the normal vector of the plane. If the slope of the line is equal to the dot product of the normal vector and any vector on the line, then the line is parallel to the plane.

2. What does it mean for a line to be below a plane?

A line is considered to be below a plane if all the points on the line have a lower z-coordinate than any point on the plane. This means that the line lies in the negative z-direction relative to the plane.

3. Can a line be parallel to and below a plane at the same time?

Yes, a line can be parallel to and below a plane at the same time. This means that the line will lie in the negative z-direction and have a slope equal to the dot product of the normal vector and any vector on the line.

4. How do you prove that a line is parallel to and below a plane?

To prove that a line is parallel to and below a plane, you need to find the slope of the line and the normal vector of the plane. Then, you need to show that the slope of the line is equal to the dot product of the normal vector and any vector on the line. This will prove that the line is parallel to the plane. To show that the line is below the plane, you need to demonstrate that all points on the line have a lower z-coordinate than any point on the plane.

5. How does knowing if a line is parallel to and below a plane affect calculations?

Knowing that a line is parallel to and below a plane can affect calculations in various ways. For example, it can simplify certain geometric or vector calculations by reducing the number of variables involved. It can also provide useful information about the relative positions of the line and the plane, which can be helpful in solving problems involving intersections or projections. Additionally, knowing this relationship can also be used as a starting point for more complex calculations or proofs.