Truss - how are forced transfered

• Thread starter omgitsroy326
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding truss and is looking for a simulation or animation to help visualize the forces being transferred. They also mention needing assistance and are currently reviewing truss by cutting and by piece or frame. They have been recommended to search for a "truss applet" and have been provided a helpful link.
omgitsroy326
I'm having problems with truss. Is there like a simulation or animation which shows me how the forces are being transfered. I need to mentally visualize what's going on before i start to calculate. I'm doing really bad.. need help~

i'm going over truss by cutting and by piece or frame ..

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by omgitsroy326
I'm having problems with truss. Is there like a simulation or animation which shows me how the forces are being transfered. I need to mentally visualize what's going on before i start to calculate. I'm doing really bad.. need help~

i'm going over truss by cutting and by piece or frame ..

Do a google search for "truss applet" or variations . Here's one:
http://www.jhu.edu/~virtlab/bridge/truss.htm

thanks... totally helpful

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework consisting of a series of interconnected triangular units. It is commonly used in construction to provide support and distribute weight, especially in bridges and roofs.

2. How are forces transferred in a truss?

Forces in a truss are transferred through the members of the structure, which are typically made of steel or timber. The triangular shape of the truss allows for the forces to be evenly distributed and carried throughout the structure.

3. What are the different types of forces in a truss?

The main types of forces in a truss are tension, compression, and shear. Tension forces occur when a member is being pulled apart, compression forces occur when a member is being pushed together, and shear forces occur when a member is being pushed or pulled in opposite directions.

4. How do you determine the amount of force in a truss member?

The amount of force in a truss member can be determined using equations such as the method of joints and method of sections. These methods involve analyzing the external forces and the geometry of the truss to calculate the internal forces in each member.

5. What are some common applications of trusses?

Trusses are commonly used in bridges, roofs, towers, and other structures that require strong and lightweight support. They are also used in the construction of cranes, aircraft, and other large machines that need to support heavy loads.