Do Children of Homosexual Parents Have a Higher Chance of Being Homosexual?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary: What I am trying to say is that people should think of the possible effects that it could have on the children, i understand why homosexuals would want to adopt, but it could be very difficult for the children growing up.
Andy
Then I read of studies that do demonstrate that children raised in a homosexual home are no more likely to be homosexual than a child raised in a heterosexual home.

I am very surprised to hear this but i find it very hard to believe that a child has no more chance of being influenced by homosexual parents, doesn't everyone get influenced by their parents? I would post a longer post but don't know how to word it without it sounding anti homosexual.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that there is a real issue here. Did you see your parents having sex?

No but i have sen my parents holding hands, kissing and generally being affectionate to each other. But if you had spent the first and most important years of your live being brought up by homosexuals would that have a large influence on the way that you grow up. Imagine the bullying that the child would go through by other kids if they where to find out about having homosexual parents.

All the more reason for believing homosexuality, and heterosexuality, is genetic.

I don't like girls because I was copying my dad. Hell, I didn't like girls at all until I hit puberty, and I can tell you straight out that my attraction was biological and not sociological.

So, do you like the opposite sex because you watched your parents in those "formative years?"

Originally posted by Andy
No but i have sen my parents holding hands, kissing and generally being affectionate to each other. But if you had spent the first and most important years of your live being brought up by homosexuals would that have a large influence on the way that you grow up. Imagine the bullying that the child would go through by other kids if they where to find out about having homosexual parents.

Oh no! And since kids bully ethnic minorities, I guess we should get rid of them too, right?

And where do children get the idea that homosexuality is different, and a source of teasing? from the parents. So if the parents didn't have a negative attitude about it, then the children wouldn't either.

No but i have sen my parents holding hands, kissing and generally being affectionate to each other. But if you had spent the first and most important years of your live being brought up by homosexuals would that have a large influence on the way that you grow up.
I don't know, has there ever been a kid raised by straight parents who turned out to be gay?

What i am trying tos ay is that people should think of the possible effects that it could have on the children, i understand why homosexuals would want to adopt, but it could be very difficult for the children growing up.

Homosexuals have children of their own and adopt them all the time. Even without accounting for any bigotry these children encounter, there are no scientifically descernable differences. Having homosexual parents does not change their sexual orientation or whatever, however, I do suspect it strongly influences their political orientation.

Perhaps that and patriarchal statis quo are really what all the fuss is about.

Originally posted by wuliheron
Homosexuals have children of their own and adopt them all the time. Even without accounting for any bigotry these children encounter, there are no scientifically descernable differences. Having homosexual parents does not change their sexual orientation or whatever, however, I do suspect it strongly influences their political orientation.

I'm agreeing with you, in that I think it is more of an issue over culture and politics, rather than any actual harm inherent in homosexuality. The children of gay couples are almost guaranteed not to grow up as fundamentalist religious nutjobs, and if they 'get away with it', next thing you know nobody wants to be a religious nutjob.

Wont somebody think of the children, i am no physcologist(obviously) but maybe a hetrosexual relationship is a more stable background for a child to grow up into? I am not against homosexuals at all, just trying to express my point of view without sounding homophobic.

Wont somebody think of the children, i am no physcologist(obviously) but maybe a hetrosexual relationship is a more stable background for a child to grow up into? I am not against homosexuals at all, just trying to express my point of view without sounding homophobic.

Well, there would be evidence, wouldn't there? All the fear-mongering in the world won't change the fact that the majority of legitimate experts don't see a problem with it. Isn't it much better to be in a household with two well-adjusted people with plenty of self-knowledge and maturity, and a real desire to be parents? What does their gender have to do with it?

Well, there would be evidence, wouldn't there? All the fear-mongering in the world won't change the fact that the majority of legitimate experts don't see a problem with it. Isn't it much better to be in a household with two well-adjusted people with plenty of self-knowledge and maturity, and a real desire to be parents? What does their gender have to do with it?

i honestly can't answer your question because i don't know why i think that it isn't right, i just think that we where created/evolved (whatever you believe) with 2 separate genders for a reason, but i was hoping that others (smarter than I) would agree with me on this subject, i have talked to friends about this and they agree with me, they are smarter than myself and have different beleives than i do, one person is a christian and beleives in christianity completely (not just a sunday christian) and they feel the same way as i do, with anyluck i will be able to get her to explain or send me her reasoning in an e-mail, and will post her reasoning at a later date.

I already told you, Andy, there is no evidence whatsoever that children of homosexual couples suffer. Quite the contrary, homosexuals have been raising children since time immemorial and as far as anyone has been able to determine they grow up no different from those of heterosexual couples.

If you really are concerned about the children of homosexual parents, then consider that they have been accomplishing this despite social bigotry and institutionalized repression. Gays, for example, are not entitled to the same partner benefits afforded to heterosexuals. Who knows what they can do if treated as the equals of any other parents.

Again, as far as I am concerned this isn't just a religious issue. It is a social issue revolving around free will bigotry. Atheists as well as radical right wing religious are adamentally against the idea. Notably, the vast majority of society is not against lesbianism, but gay men are much less accepted. The men most adamently against gay men are also those most tempted to have sex with other men.

I wonder what the agenda of the American Academy of Pediatrics is, besides the welfare of children?http://www.aap.org/policy/020008t.html includes this statement: "The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes that a considerable body of professional literature provides evidence that children with parents who are homosexual can have the same advantages and the same expectations for health, adjustment, and development as can children whose parents are heterosexual" That isn't a partisan group, or a gay rights group

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite the contrary, homosexuals have been raising children since time immemorial

What do you mean by immemorial? In thu UK there was a lot of coverage in the news about Homosexual couples wanting to adopt children and that was only a few years ago.

As for there being no problems with the child growing up, i can say this with about 99% certainty that if someone at my school had homosexual parents then there would not hear the end of it and would receive a constant barage of abuse about it. I didnt go to a bad school but bullying is common in probably every school in the world. That was my main concern about the development of the child if you receive years of bullying that must have adverse affects on the child.

What do you mean by immemorial? In thu UK there was a lot of coverage in the news about Homosexual couples wanting to adopt children and that was only a few years ago.

As for there being no problems with the child growing up, i can say this with about 99% certainty that if someone at my school had homosexual parents then there would not hear the end of it and would receive a constant barage of abuse about it. I didnt go to a bad school but bullying is common in probably every school in the world. That was my main concern about the development of the child if you receive years of bullying that must have adverse affects on the child.

So we deal with the bullies, not the children being bullied. If necessary, you begin killing bigots and bullies, preferably by drowning in caterpillars

Can I have a show of hand from those who WEREN'T bullied in some fashion in school? I was witness to many many children being bullied in school. school is all about "clicks" and this who are different are ridiculed. You speak as if this is something new and profound. How does this differ from any other typical day in a school? read my last post on bullying- that's not an argument.

Lets assume for the moment that gays have existed since time immorial, a lesbian couple active in the church I attend publically announced they were now pregnant by an annonymous doner. I've also known lesbians to have unprotected sex with absolute strangers in order to become pregnant. Adoption is not the only way for gays to become parents.

As for school yard bullies, studies have repeatedly shown that it is not simply the unusual they seek out, but the weak and traumatized. Male chimps will occationally torture and kill baby chimps, even eating them once the fun is over. I have to agree with Zantra on this, if preventing bullying, inhumane behavior, and such things are really your interest then I suggest you address them directly.

In the last annonymous survey of public school faculty fourty percent of these school admitted to having an unspoken unoffical policy of not interfering with student on student violence. In this day and age of Collumbine I would assume people would take an active rather than a reactionary stance on such an issue. Perhaps that is too much to ask...

Originally posted by wuliheron

As for school yard bullies, studies have repeatedly shown that it is not simply the unusual they seek out, but the weak and traumatized. Male chimps will occationally torture and kill baby chimps, even eating them once the fun is over. I have to agree with Zantra on this, if preventing bullying, inhumane behavior, and such things are really your interest then I suggest you address them directly.

In the last annonymous survey of public school faculty fourty percent of these school admitted to having an unspoken unoffical policy of not interfering with student on student violence. In this day and age of Collumbine I would assume people would take an active rather than a reactionary stance on such an issue. Perhaps that is too much to ask...
It is common for people to 'blame the victim', isn't it? If people pick on homosexuals, there is often the unspoken attitude that they deserve it, for daring not to conform.

1. Can homosexual couples provide a stable and nurturing home for adopted children?

Yes, numerous studies have shown that the sexual orientation of parents does not impact the well-being of their children. What matters most is the quality of parenting, and homosexual couples are just as capable of providing a loving and stable home as heterosexual couples.

2. Do children of homosexual couples face any negative effects from their parents' sexual orientation?

No, research has shown that children raised by homosexual parents do not experience any negative effects on their development or well-being. In fact, studies have shown that these children tend to have similar levels of self-esteem, academic achievement, and overall well-being as children raised by heterosexual parents.

3. Do children raised by homosexual parents have a higher chance of identifying as homosexual?

There is no evidence to suggest that children raised by homosexual parents have a higher chance of identifying as homosexual themselves. Sexual orientation is not determined by the sexual orientation of one's parents, but rather a complex interplay of genetic, environmental, and societal factors.

4. Are homosexual couples more likely to adopt children with special needs or from disadvantaged backgrounds?

There is no evidence to support this claim. Homosexual couples go through the same rigorous adoption process as heterosexual couples and are evaluated based on their ability to provide a loving and stable home for a child. The decision to adopt a child with special needs or from a disadvantaged background is a personal one and not determined by sexual orientation.

5. Are there any legal barriers for homosexual couples to adopt?

The legality of homosexual couples adopting varies by country and state. In many countries, same-sex adoption is legally recognized and protected, while in others, there may be restrictions or limitations. It is important for homosexual couples to research the laws and regulations in their specific location before pursuing adoption.