How to solve a hard question involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses an algebraic question involving solving for t in an equation and finding the derivative of a function. It is mentioned that the equation has no exact algebraic solution and a graphing calculator can be used to approximate the value of t. The solution to the derivative is also discussed and it is noted that there are infinite solutions. The conversation ends with a question about another algebraic equation involving Euler's famous equation.
dagg3r
hi guys,
this is a question i got really confused on

they give you a question which is 3=ln(t) * sin(t)

solve for t. i don't know how to do this algebracially if it is even possible. i can do it on my calculator by sketching the graph and finding the exact value but how do you do this algebracially?.

The best i can get is ln(t) = 3/sin(t) but still i can't solve lol.

2. find the derivative of y=ln(t) * sin(t) i used the product rule and got
U=ln(x)
u`=1/x
V=sin(x)
v`=cos x
Dy/dx= ln(x)* cos(x) + sin(x)/x
if i let dy/dx=0 how do i solve for x?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ln(t) and sin(t) are both "transcendental" functions and, in general, there is no algebraic way to get an exact value. You can, as you say, use a graphing calculator to get an approximate (not exact) value for t. The equation 3= ln(t)*sin(t) has an infinite number of solutions but I get approximately x= 20.3 for the smallest.

As for problem 2, yes, dy/dx= ln(x)* cos(x) + sin(x)/x. Again, there is no algebraic way to get an exact solution to dy/dx= 0. You could again get an approximate solution using a graphing calculator. Once again, there are an infinite number of solutions and I find the smallest to be about x= 0.35.
By the way, why do you want to solve that equation? The problem as you stated it only asked you to find the derivative and you have done that.

ok, thanks but there is another question that says algebracially is that the same as this?

y=0.5e^(0.1x)sin(t)

perhaps Euler's famous equation may be of some service?

1. How do I solve a hard question involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t)?

To solve a hard question involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t), you will need to use the properties of logarithms and trigonometric identities. You can also use substitution or integration techniques depending on the specific question.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this type of question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find approximate solutions to questions involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t). However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact answers and it is still important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques to solve the question.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving these types of questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving questions involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t) include forgetting to use the logarithm and trigonometric identities, not simplifying expressions before solving, and making calculation errors when using a calculator.

4. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can plug your answer back into the original question and see if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use online calculators or ask a classmate or teacher to double check your work.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving these types of questions more efficiently?

Some tips for solving questions involving multiplication of ln(t) and sin(t) more efficiently include practicing and memorizing the properties of logarithms and trigonometric identities, breaking down the question into smaller parts, and checking your work as you go along to catch any mistakes early on.