Show me how terms with Q disappear

In summary: Hence, the 2nd term vanishes after closed integration with respect to ##s'##.Similarly, we can use the same vector identity to simplify the 4th term and show that it also vanishes after closed integration with respect to ##s'##. I hope this explanation helps to clear your confusion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. In summary, the 2nd and 4th terms in the Ampere force law equation given by Maxwell vanish after closed integration with respect to ##s'## due to the properties of the closed integration path and the vector identity used to simplify the terms. I hope this helps.
faheemahmed6000
The general Ampere force law equation given by Maxwell is:

ypori.png

According to Maxwell, all terms containing function ##Q(r)## will vanish after closed integration w.r.t. ##s'## because they will get reduced to functions of ##r## and the upper and lower integration limits will be same since the circuit is closed. I can only see how 3rd term vanishes after closed integration w.r.t. ##s'##. I can't see how 2nd and 4th term vanishes after closed integration w.r.t. ##s'## as I can't reduce them to functions of ##r##. Please show how to reduce 2nd and 4th term to functions of ##r## so that they vanishes after closed integration w.r.t. ##s'##.

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for raising this question about the Ampere force law equation given by Maxwell. I can understand your confusion and I would be happy to explain how the 2nd and 4th terms in the equation vanish after closed integration with respect to ##s'##.

Firstly, let's take a closer look at the general Ampere force law equation given by Maxwell:

$$
F = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_C \frac{I(s') \times (r - r')}{|r - r'|^3} ds' \tag{1}
$$

As you correctly pointed out, the 3rd term vanishes after closed integration with respect to ##s'## because it becomes a function of ##r## and the upper and lower integration limits are the same. Now, let's focus on the 2nd term:

$$
\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_C \frac{I(s') \times (r' - r)}{|r' - r|^3} ds' \tag{2}
$$

To simplify this term, we can use the vector identity:

$$
\frac{1}{|r' - r|^3} = \nabla \cdot \left(\frac{1}{|r' - r|}\right) \tag{3}
$$

Substituting this identity into equation (2), we get:

$$
\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_C I(s') \nabla \cdot \left(\frac{1}{|r' - r|}\right) ds' \times (r' - r) \tag{4}
$$

Now, using the divergence theorem, we can rewrite this as:

$$
\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_S I(s') \left(\frac{1}{|r' - r|}\right) \hat{n} ds' \times (r' - r) \tag{5}
$$

where ##S## is the surface enclosed by the closed integration path ##C## and ##\hat{n}## is the unit normal vector to the surface ##S##. Since the integration path ##C## is closed, the surface ##S## is also closed. Therefore, the integral in equation (5) becomes zero due to the cross product of the

Related to Show me how terms with Q disappear

1. How do terms with Q disappear in a scientific context?

Terms with the letter Q typically disappear through a process known as quantum decoherence, where quantum states lose their coherence and are no longer observable. This can happen due to interactions with the environment or through measurements.

2. Can you give an example of a term with Q disappearing in a scientific experiment?

One example is the phenomenon of quantum tunneling, where a particle can "tunnel" through a barrier that it would not have enough energy to overcome in classical physics. This behavior involves the disappearance and reappearance of the particle's wave function, which contains the letter Q in its mathematical representation.

3. Is the disappearance of Q-related terms only relevant in quantum mechanics?

No, the disappearance of terms with Q can also occur in other fields of science such as thermodynamics, where the letter Q is used to represent heat transfer. In certain processes, the amount of heat transferred (Q) may decrease or disappear as the system reaches equilibrium.

4. How is the disappearance of Q-related terms relevant in everyday life?

While the concept of quantum decoherence may seem abstract, it has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography. Understanding how terms with Q disappear is crucial in developing these advanced technologies.

5. Can terms with Q disappear completely?

In quantum mechanics, it is possible for terms with Q to completely disappear from a system, also known as quantum erasure. This occurs when a measurement is made on one part of a quantum system, causing the information about the other part to disappear and become unknowable. However, in most cases, the disappearance of Q-related terms is only temporary and can be observed through other means.