Static coefficient versus kinetic coefficient of friction

In summary: F}.Assuming the surface is frictionless, the object will accelerate to the speed of \mu_{s}+\delta{F}.
slayerdeus
I have a lab question that I'm confused about:

What can you say about acceleration if the:

a) static coefficient = kinetic coefficient = 0
b) static coefficient = kinetic coefficient does not equal 0
c) static coefficient is greater than kinetic coefficient

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also confused, as I have no idea what lab you're doing. Is something rolling on a hill, up, down, or on a level surface? What exactly are you having problems with, etc, etc...?

slayerdeus said:

The first one sounds as if it should be a frictionless surface (ie no friction).

For the answers, are you looking for stuff like, the object is accelerating, deccelerating, or the object is at rest? I'm not sure what kind of answer you are looking for, but it seems to me if the 0 < kinetic = static, I would think the object is accelerating and for the last one, I would think the object would slow down until coming to a rest or something like that.

Does that sound right to anyone else?

slayerdeus said:

I interpret this question to mean:
Suppose an object is initially at rest on a (horizontal) surface.
What can you say about the acceleration of the object, when a sufficiently strong force to accelerate it is applied to to the object?

a) An arbitrarily small force may be applied in order to accelerate it;
the resulting acceleration will also be arbitrarily small.
b) The sufficient force must satisfy [tex]F>\mu_{s}N[/tex] in order to accelerate the object.
We set [tex]F=\mu_{s}N+\delta{F}[/tex], where [tex]\delta{F}[/tex] can be an arbitrarily small force.
We have, since [tex]\mu_{k}=\mu_{s}[/tex] that the net force on the object, is [tex]\delta{F}[/tex] ; i.e. the resulting acceleration can be made as small as one wish for.

c) The net force is now:
[tex](\mu_{s}-\mu_{k})N+\delta{F}[/tex] that is, the minimum initial acceleration is [tex]a_{min}=(\mu_{s}-\mu_{k})g[/tex]

What is the difference between static coefficient and kinetic coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction is the amount of force needed to overcome the initial static resistance and start an object's movement, while the kinetic coefficient of friction is the amount of force needed to keep the object in motion.

How are the static and kinetic coefficients of friction determined?

The static coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the maximum force needed to start an object's movement by the weight of the object. The kinetic coefficient of friction is determined by dividing the force needed to keep the object in motion by the weight of the object.

What factors affect the static and kinetic coefficients of friction?

The coefficients of friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids.

Why is the static coefficient of friction typically higher than the kinetic coefficient of friction?

This is because when an object is at rest, the surfaces are in close contact and have a stronger hold on each other, requiring more force to overcome the initial resistance. Once the object is in motion, the surfaces are not in as close contact, reducing the force needed to maintain the motion.

How is the static and kinetic coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficients of friction are used in engineering and design to determine the amount of force needed to move objects, to design braking systems, and to reduce friction in machinery. It is also used in sports equipment and tire design to improve performance.