Applicaitions of cubics + quadratics look at this :p

• Thread starter dagg3r
  • Start date
In summary, the first conversation involved constructing an open box with a base area of 35 cm2 from a rectangular piece of cardboard measuring 9 cm by 7 cm. The student used the equation (9-2x)(7-2x)=35 to find the length of the side of the square that must be removed from each corner. The second conversation involved finding the value of x from a rectangular sheet of metal, where part ABP is cut and the remaining area is 114 cm2. The third conversation involved finding the demand and cost for producing a certain product, and expressing the revenue, profit, and number of units that must be produced and sold each month.
dagg3r
1. A student wants to construct an open box with a base area 35 cm2 from a rectangular piece of cardboard measuring 9 cm by 7 cm.
Find x, where x cm is the length of the side of the square which must be removed from each corner of the cardboard.

this is what i did, i went (9-2x)*(7-2x)=35, then i get it in a form of a quad or cubic, then find the x-intercepts?

2. From a rectangular sheet of metal, ABCD, the part ABP is cut, and the area of the remaining part is 114 cm2.
Find the value of x.

i am totally lost i don't know what to do here

3. The demand, x units of a certain product is given by x = 400 - 0.25p per month
where p is the selling price per unit. The cost, $C, to produce x units is given by
C = 9600 + 1200x
a) Express p in terms of x.

yeah this one i did. p=4 (400 - x)

b) The revenue obtained is a result of selling a number of units at a certain price.
Express the revenue, R, in terms of x.

totally lost, do i just use the x= 400 - 0.25p , and sub p from previous example in?

d) Determine the number of units that must be produced and sold each month :

i) in order to break even

i have to use the c= formula and find the x-intercepts?

ii) if the profit is to be $300 per month.

totally lost here

c) Express the profit, P, in terms of x.

profit... how do i do that?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
#1 - is there anything that says you have to cut out squares? You can cut out rectangles and still form a box, so you want x and y, say.

edit; ok if it does have to eb squares, won't you want 5 * (9-2x)(7-2x)? Try drawing it again.

#2, which length is 'x'?

Last edited:

1. To construct the open box, you need to cut out squares of size x from each corner of the cardboard. This will create flaps on each side that can be folded up to form the sides of the box. The length and width of the base will be (9-2x) and (7-2x) respectively. Since the base area is 35 cm2, we can set up the equation (9-2x)*(7-2x)=35 and solve for x by finding the x-intercepts. Once we have the value of x, we can cut out the squares and fold up the flaps to construct the box.

2. In this problem, we are given the area of the remaining part after cutting out triangle ABP, but we don't know the dimensions of the remaining part. To find the value of x, we can set up the equation for the area of the remaining part as (9-x)*(7-x)=114 and solve for x by finding the x-intercepts.

3. a) To express p in terms of x, we can rearrange the demand equation to solve for p. We get p = (400-x)/0.25.

b) Revenue, R, is given by the product of the number of units sold (x) and the selling price (p). So we can express R as R = px = p(400-x).

d) i) To break even, the cost of producing x units should be equal to the revenue obtained by selling x units. So we can set up the equation C = R and solve for x by finding the x-intercepts of the equation (9600 + 1200x) = (p(400-x)).

ii) To make a profit of $300, the revenue obtained from selling x units should be $300 more than the cost of producing x units. So we can set up the equation R = C + 300 and solve for x by finding the x-intercepts of the equation (9600 + 1200x + 300) = (p(400-x)).

c) Profit, P, is given by the difference between the revenue (R) and the cost (C). So we can express P as P = R - C = (p(400-x)) - (9600 + 1200x).

1. What are the real-world applications of cubic and quadratic equations?

Cubic and quadratic equations are used in many fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics to model and solve real-world problems. Some examples include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, designing roller coasters, predicting sales trends, and creating 3D animations.

2. How are cubic and quadratic equations used in physics?

In physics, cubic and quadratic equations are used to describe the motion of objects in free fall, the motion of pendulums, and the motion of objects under the influence of a force. They are also used to calculate the speed and acceleration of objects and to solve problems related to energy and work.

3. Can cubic and quadratic equations be used in economics?

Yes, cubic and quadratic equations are commonly used in economics to model and analyze supply and demand curves, production and cost functions, and other economic relationships. They are also used to predict future trends and make informed business decisions.

4. What role do cubic and quadratic equations play in computer graphics?

Cubic and quadratic equations are essential in computer graphics for creating smooth and realistic animations. They are used to model the movement of objects, simulate lighting and shadows, and create 3D shapes and surfaces. They are also used in video game design and special effects in movies.

5. How do engineers use cubic and quadratic equations?

Engineers use cubic and quadratic equations to solve problems related to structural design, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits. They are also used to model and optimize systems such as bridges, dams, and buildings. Additionally, engineers use these equations to analyze data and make predictions in various engineering fields.