Should you always indicate velocity is a vector?

In summary, when dealing with vectors, it is important to understand the concept of scalars and their relationship to vector spaces. In a one-dimensional problem, everything can be described using scalars, including speed and acceleration. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to indicate the vector nature of an equation to avoid ambiguity. Notation such as || || or v_x may be used to represent the magnitude or x-component of a vector, respectively.
autodidude
If the question doesn't specify any directions, and the final answer is just a magnitude...(or should you indicate 'in the positive direction' anyway?), do you still put a line over the v?

I also notice in books, the initial and final velocities don't have the line/arrows over the top to show it's a vector, it's not bolded either.

If you use change in speed over change in time to find acceleration (question uses speed but is implied that it's heading in one direction only), is acceleration then a scalar?

Physics news on Phys.org
autodidude said:
If the question doesn't specify any directions, and the final answer is just a magnitude...(or should you indicate 'in the positive direction' anyway?), do you still put a line over the v?

hi autodidude! :smile:

i think the answer is that vectors (by definition! :biggrin:) exist in a vector space,

and a vector space is defined as including elements called scalars

if S is a vector subspace of a vector space V, and s is in S, and λ is a scalar, then λs is also in S

in a real vector space, for example, the scalars are all the real numbers (including negative numbers)

so in a one-dimensional problem (eg a projectile going straight up and down), everything is in a one-dimensional subspace, and we are perfectly entitled to describe everything by scalars, and some of those scalars can be negative

and of course if we describe them as scalars, then we write them without a line on top (or arrow, or other vector notation) :smile:
If you use change in speed over change in time to find acceleration (question uses speed but is implied that it's heading in one direction only), is acceleration then a scalar?

if distance is a scalar, then speed and acceleration are also scalars :wink:

tiny-tim said:
and of course if we describe them as scalars, then we write them without a line on top (or arrow, or other vector notation)

While I tend to agree, it is somewhat common practice in physics textbooks
to write the [non-negative] " magnitude of [itex]\vec v[/itex] " or " magnitude of [itex]\bf\mbox{v}[/itex] " (a.k.a. "the speed") as [itex]v[/itex],
rather than the unambiguous but notationally-cumbersome [itex]\left\|\vec v\right\|[/itex].

So, one may wish to write [itex]v_x[/itex] ("x-component of the velocity-vector") (which is a signed quantity).

The bottom line: try to be unambiguous without being too notationally-cumbersome... using phrases or complete sentences, if needed.

(Personally, I like to indicate the vector nature of an equation if it is also true beyond the 1-D case.)

my $0.02

tiny-tim said:
hi autodidude! :smile:

i think the answer is that vectors (by definition! :biggrin:) exist in a vector space,

and a vector space is defined as including elements called scalars

if S is a vector subspace of a vector space V, and s is in S, and λ is a scalar, then λs is also in S

in a real vector space, for example, the scalars are all the real numbers (including negative numbers)

so in a one-dimensional problem (eg a projectile going straight up and down), everything is in a one-dimensional subspace, and we are perfectly entitled to describe everything by scalars, and some of those scalars can be negative

and of course if we describe them as scalars, then we write them without a line on top (or arrow, or other vector notation) :smile:

if distance is a scalar, then speed and acceleration are also scalars :wink:

I thought your answer was a little abstract but reading it again, the second part made a lot of sense, thank you

robphy said:
While I tend to agree, it is somewhat common practice in physics textbooks
to write the [non-negative] " magnitude of [itex]\vec v[/itex] " or " magnitude of [itex]\bf\mbox{v}[/itex] " (a.k.a. "the speed") as [itex]v[/itex],
rather than the unambiguous but notationally-cumbersome [itex]\left\|\vec v\right\|[/itex].

So, one may wish to write [itex]v_x[/itex] ("x-component of the velocity-vector") (which is a signed quantity).

The bottom line: try to be unambiguous without being too notationally-cumbersome... using phrases or complete sentences, if needed.

(Personally, I like to indicate the vector nature of an equation if it is also true beyond the 1-D case.)

my $0.02

What does the || || around the v mean? And "x-component of the velocity-vector"? Also, signed quantity? The book doesn't talk about the notation (or I haven't come across it yet, I will check)

autodidude said:
What does the || || around the v mean? And "x-component of the velocity-vector"? Also, signed quantity? The book doesn't talk about the notation (or I haven't come across it yet, I will check)

The double bars mean "magnitude" or "norm" of the vector.
Some texts use single bars (like absolute-value).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_(mathematics)

If the x-axis is horizontal,
then "x-component of the velocity-vector" means "horizontal speed".
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/u3l2d.cfm

A "signed quantity" means that this quantity could take negative values,
as opposed to (e.g.) speed [the "magnitude of the velocity"],
which is non-negative (i.e. positive or zero).

Related to Should you always indicate velocity is a vector?

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Velocity is an example of a vector quantity because it has both speed (magnitude) and direction.

2. Why is it important to indicate velocity as a vector?

Indicating velocity as a vector allows us to fully understand the motion of an object. It not only tells us how fast the object is moving, but also in what direction it is moving. This information is crucial in many applications, such as navigation, physics, and engineering.

3. Can velocity ever be represented as a scalar?

No, velocity cannot be represented as a scalar because it is a vector quantity. If velocity is represented as a scalar, we would only know the speed of the object, but not its direction.

4. What are some examples of vectors other than velocity?

Some other examples of vectors include displacement, force, acceleration, and momentum. These are all quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

5. Is it possible for an object to have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a constant speed but changing velocity. This can occur if the object is moving in a circular path, where the speed remains constant but the direction of motion is constantly changing. This is known as uniform circular motion.