Should Organizations Encourage Informed Voting, Not just Voting?

• News
  • Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voting
In summary: Generally speaking, they don't vote, fortunately. Voting has costs, and the people most willing to pay those costs are those with the greatest stake. By nature, these people also tend to be the most politically informed; if the cost of voting is high, then you will make an effort to "get your moneys worth". Ie, regular voters tend to be those involved with government routinely, those who pay more in taxes, the older, and the educated.
jduster
There are numerous organizations that encourage people (especially younger people who have recently attained majority), as if it is a service to the country. People who are politically informed are going to vote regardless, but would our society benefit from a mob of apathetic uninformed people rushing to the polls? No, and those who encourage apathetic people to go out and vote aren't doing a service to the country either.

Am I requesting that uninformed people should be forced not to vote? No, but it would be best if they chose not to.

I do not mind a surge of new young voters: as long as they are informed.

I think the message of these organizations should not be: "Go out and vote".

The message should be: "Be informed" (and voting will come as a natural consequence).

Agree or disagree?

Physics news on Phys.org
disagree. young people especially are the ones being disenfranchised by older voters getting organized and voting themselves benefits.

I agree 100%.

Proton: Even if young people vote, they're not necessarily informed enough to vote in their own interests. The message is to be informed, and informed people tend to vote. I think being politically informed is far more important than being a just a voter.

Jack21222 said:
I agree 100%.

Proton: Even if young people vote, they're not necessarily informed enough to vote in their own interests. The message is to be informed, and informed people tend to vote. I think being politically informed is far more important than being a just a voter.

think so? i kind of think that once they get enough people voting, that politicians will take notice and start pandering to their interests. all sorts of information will be coming their way. vote for me, you'll get lower tuition rates, or insurance rates.

The problem is that your average person watches a single news station and decides that they are informed.

jduster said:
There are numerous organizations that encourage people (especially younger people who have recently attained majority), as if it is a service to the country. People who are politically informed are going to vote regardless, but would our society benefit from a mob of apathetic uninformed people rushing to the polls? No, and those who encourage apathetic people to go out and vote aren't doing a service to the country either.

Am I requesting that uninformed people should be forced not to vote? No, but it would be best if they chose not to.

The message should be: "Be informed" (and voting will come as a natural consequence).

Agree or disagree?

Laughable given the intelligence and level of knowledge the average adult voter is packing.

nismaratwork said:
Laughable given the intelligence and level of knowledge the average adult voter is packing.

Let me translate: "Laughable given the average adult voter doesn't vote the way I'd like". The fact is the average voter is significantly better educated and informed than the average person (and this is likely more true during off-year elections); see below.

Generally speaking, they don't vote, fortunately. Voting has costs, and the people most willing to pay those costs are those with the greatest stake. By nature, these people also tend to be the most politically informed; if the cost of voting is high, then you will make an effort to "get your moneys worth". Ie, regular voters tend to be those involved with government routinely, those who pay more in taxes, the older, and the educated.

This is the unintended consequence of policies which make voting easier or even mandatory - when you make voting cheaper (or not voting more expensive), by definition people value their vote less, and you end up with voters who are poorly informed. I recall the recent episode of Alvin Greene; after his primary victory in South Carolina there was an interview with a voter. When asked why she checked off Alvin, she said (with an embaressed giggle) that his name reminded her of the singer and that she never thought he'd actually win.

Imagine if voting had been relatively more expensive for a person like her (ie, a poll tax - this is illustrative, I'm not suggesting it as a policy). Do you think she still would have voted, and if so, would she have chosen her candidate for the same reasons?

This theory is born out in the data; education is the single strongest predictor of turnout statistically, but educational achievment is highly correlated with income, intelligence, political interest, etcetera, so it's probably capturing some of these effects.

http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D3B3E236-3C3C-42B3-BB5F-B1A16A8645E0/0/voting_edpays.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a civil duty to be informed, and that is a logical consequence of the civil duty too vote.

humanino said:
It is a civil duty to be informed, and that is a logical consequence of the civil duty too vote.

I disagree with this. There are many people who vote without being informed... they are basically peer-pressured into voting, basically. If they don't vote, their friends say things like "Well, then I don't want to hear you complaining if something happens you don't like." So, they vote based on their parents' political party. Or at random. Or based on a list somebody in front of the polls handed them.

Additionally, I do not see voting as a duty. I see no reason why everybody MUST vote. Voting is a RIGHT, and we can waive that right if we wish.

I can agree that people have a civil duty to be informed, and a logical consequence of that is people will vote, not the other way around.

The biggest thing that bothers me is that some regard voting registration and organizations that recruit voters as a service to society. If more people donated to charity or volunteered to a soup kitchen, it would be a service to society, but voting is based on percentages.

I'd rather have 100,000 informed people vote than 1,000,000 uninformed people vote. And of course, there are informed people could be wrong just as their are uninformed people who pick the right candidate, but overall, the less dumb people voter, the better.

The only rational reason to vote is because you get paid for it.

The most direct method would be straightforward open bribery. Since that has out of fashion in some countries (though not all), you have to hope the winners will pay you after they get elected. If they are not going to do that, why bother?

An irrational but pragmatic reason to vote is because it is compulsory.

Any other arguments are hypocrisy, IMHO.

AlephZero said:
An irrational but pragmatic reason to vote is because it is compulsory.

If not voting is going to get me fined or give me jail time, how is it irrational to vote?

Any other arguments are hypocrisy, IMHO.

Why?

Proton Soup said:
think so? i kind of think that once they get enough people voting, that politicians will take notice and start pandering to their interests. all sorts of information will be coming their way. vote for me, you'll get lower tuition rates, or insurance rates.

Agreed. The point of voting is to be represented. Being "informed", "intelligent" or whatever shouldn't come into it. As for the OP, people should be encouraged to vote, it shouldn't be taken for granted, we may lose it if we do. I see voting as a civic duty. And it will make politicians sit up and take notice, which is what they are supposed to do.

talk2glenn said:
Let me translate: "Laughable given the average adult voter doesn't vote the way I'd like". The fact is the average voter is significantly better educated and informed than the average person (and this is likely more true during off-year elections); see below.

No, that's nolt what I mean at all, but you're welcome to take it however you choose. Better eductated is a bit like saying you used 2 beans instead of 1 to make your pot of coffee... you're right, but it's still weak coffee.

As for how I vote... how do I vote?

talk2glenn said:
Generally speaking, they don't vote, fortunately. Voting has costs, and the people most willing to pay those costs are those with the greatest stake. By nature, these people also tend to be the most politically informed; if the cost of voting is high, then you will make an effort to "get your moneys worth". Ie, regular voters tend to be those involved with government routinely, those who pay more in taxes, the older, and the educated.

This is the unintended consequence of policies which make voting easier or even mandatory - when you make voting cheaper (or not voting more expensive), by definition people value their vote less, and you end up with voters who are poorly informed. I recall the recent episode of Alvin Greene; after his primary victory in South Carolina there was an interview with a voter. When asked why she checked off Alvin, she said (with an embaressed giggle) that his name reminded her of the singer and that she never thought he'd actually win.

Imagine if voting had been relatively more expensive for a person like her (ie, a poll tax - this is illustrative, I'm not suggesting it as a policy). Do you think she still would have voted, and if so, would she have chosen her candidate for the same reasons?

This theory is born out in the data; education is the single strongest predictor of turnout statistically, but educational achievment is highly correlated with income, intelligence, political interest, etcetera, so it's probably capturing some of these effects.

http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D3B3E236-3C3C-42B3-BB5F-B1A16A8645E0/0/voting_edpays.pdf

@AlephZero: I thought that's how we did it already? I know that's how I vote, with my wallet in every way I can, up to and including legalized bribery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
you know, the absolute worst has got to be busing a bunch of dementia patients to the polls to vote for someone simply because they look familiar.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/item_spfLmBVGY1t0nHd4gXNn0M

That's a rather offensive assumption.

Only about 5% to 10% of people over the age of 65 suffer from dementia, so, probably, only about 75 to 150 of the 1500 elderly that were helped to the polls suffered from dementia.

And, considering they had enough sense to take a bus instead of clogging up the road by driving real slow, they were probably less likely to be suffering from dementia than the average elderly person.

Besides, there's no pictures of the candidates on ballots, so their looks wouldn't matter.

BobG said:
That's a rather offensive assumption.

Only about 5% to 10% of people over the age of 65 suffer from dementia, so, probably, only about 75 to 150 of the 1500 elderly that were helped to the polls suffered from dementia.

And, considering they had enough sense to take a bus instead of clogging up the road by driving real slow, they were probably less likely to be suffering from dementia than the average elderly person.

Besides, there's no pictures of the candidates on ballots, so their looks wouldn't matter.

yes, i agree that it is offensive. but so is not wanting youthful voters to vote. which is much of the point of offering it in contrast.

and yes, looks do matter. looks always matter. how many voters do you think don't know what their candidate (the major ones, at least) looks like? and what politician isn't obsessed with his appearance?

Proton Soup said:
how many voters do you think don't know what their candidate (the major ones, at least) looks like?

The ones suffering from dementia.

And maybe most of the people from Palm Beach County, Florida that voted for Pat Buchanon in 2000.

Last edited:
jduster said:

Agree or disagree?
It depends on your point of view. If your interest is in the continuation of the status quo, represented by the major parties, then lots of uninformed new voters is a good thing in that, presumably, they'll vote for either a Democrat or a Republican.

AlephZero said:
The only rational reason to vote is because you get paid for it.

People only sometimes receive monetary incentives for voting. Often, the incentives involve the furtherment of one's non-monetary believes, including right and wrongs. However, I'll grant you that ultimately, it all boils down to ensuring the best chances for survival for one's self and one's progeny.

Related to Should Organizations Encourage Informed Voting, Not just Voting?

1. What is the benefit of encouraging informed voting in organizations?

The benefit of encouraging informed voting in organizations is that it leads to better decision-making and representation. When individuals are well-informed about the issues and candidates, they are able to make more educated and thoughtful decisions when casting their vote. This can result in a more diverse and representative group of leaders and policies within the organization.

2. How can organizations promote informed voting among their members?

Organizations can promote informed voting by providing access to unbiased information on candidates and issues, hosting educational events or debates, and encouraging open discussions about voting and its importance. They can also provide resources such as voter guides or sample ballots to help members make informed decisions.

3. Should organizations require their members to vote?

Requiring members to vote may not be the most effective approach, as it may lead to uninformed or coerced voting. Instead, organizations should focus on promoting the value and importance of informed voting and providing resources and opportunities for members to participate in the democratic process.

4. How can organizations ensure that all members have equal access to information and resources for informed voting?

Organizations can ensure equal access to information and resources by providing them to all members regardless of their background or status within the organization. This can include making resources available in multiple languages and formats, as well as providing accommodations for those with disabilities or limited access to technology.

5. What are some potential challenges in implementing informed voting in organizations?

Some potential challenges in implementing informed voting in organizations may include limited resources, conflicting opinions and biases within the organization, and the difficulty of ensuring equal access and representation for all members. It may also require a cultural shift within the organization and may take time to see the full impact on decision-making and representation.