Should I worry about the connect of my current job to my future career path?

In summary, pursuing a career in research and publication can be a valuable and fulfilling path for an engineer, and it should not be seen as deviating from the norm.
marellasunny
Hello all!
I recently joined a environmental(ecology dept.) research institute as a mathematical modeller(JOB).I am by degree a automotive engineer with a passion for mathematics.I am still fresh out of graduate school but I eventually see myself as head for a automotive R&D business 4-5 years down the line.
Should I be worried that I am deviating from the "normal" career path that most engineers pursue?-Degree-internship-gain experience in industry.

1.Do profit-based companies look at such research experience as a plus?
2.Will a journal publication look good on my CV when I apply for a job?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you should not be worried about deviating from a "normal" career path. Everyone has their own interests and goals, and it is perfectly valid to pursue a different path than what is traditionally expected. Many companies recognize the value of research experience and look for individuals who have a strong research background. Additionally, having a journal publication on your CV can help to demonstrate your expertise in your field and can be a great asset when applying for a job.

Related to Should I worry about the connect of my current job to my future career path?

1. Should I only focus on jobs directly related to my desired career path?

No, it is not necessary to only focus on jobs that are directly related to your desired career path. Many skills and experiences gained from different jobs can be transferable and valuable in your desired career. It is important to consider the potential for growth and learning in any job, regardless of its direct connection to your future career.

2. How important is the connection between my current job and my future career path?

The importance of the connection between your current job and your future career path depends on your personal goals and priorities. If your current job offers opportunities for growth and development in your desired career, then it may be more important. However, if your current job is not directly related, it can still provide valuable skills and experiences that can be applied to your future career.

3. Will having a job that is not related to my desired career path hurt my chances for success?

No, having a job that is not related to your desired career path will not necessarily hurt your chances for success. What matters most is your determination, hard work, and dedication towards your career goals. Many successful individuals have had jobs that were not directly related to their desired career, but still managed to achieve their goals through hard work and determination.

4. How can I make the most out of my current job for my future career?

There are several ways to make the most out of your current job for your future career. You can take on additional responsibilities, seek out opportunities for learning and growth, network with colleagues and industry professionals, and actively apply the skills and knowledge gained in your current job to your desired career path. It is also important to have a clear understanding of your career goals and how your current job can help you achieve them.

5. Should I stay in a job that is not related to my desired career path for long?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. If your current job is providing valuable skills and experiences that can benefit your desired career, then it may be beneficial to stay for a longer period. However, if your current job offers no opportunities for growth or development in your desired career, it may be best to consider other options. It is important to regularly assess your career goals and make decisions that align with them.