Should I take geometry or graph theory for elective?

In summary, the individual is looking for an easy math course to boost their GPA and is considering taking either a geometry course or a graph theory course. They express a preference for a course that is less rigorous in terms of proofs and mention their love for math as the reason for choosing these courses over other science electives. They are advised to consult with the professor teaching the course to determine the level of rigor.
db30
I just want something easy to boost my gpa and these are my two options. The geometry course is euclidean not topological.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
db30 said:
I just want something easy to boost my gpa

Probably the worst reason to take a course...

micromass said:
Probably the worst reason to take a course...

Its did not say that was the entire reason of why I would take either of these courses. I really love math that's why I choose them over other science electives. What I meant was that I would prefer a course which is less rigorous proof wise.

It's really impossible to tell what course to take. Both Euclidean geometry and graph theory can be done very rigorously, or less rigorously. Best to ask the professor who teaches the course.

Related to Should I take geometry or graph theory for elective?

1. Should I take geometry or graph theory for elective?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Geometry focuses on the study of shapes and their properties, while graph theory deals with the study of networks and relationships between objects. Consider which subject aligns more with your strengths and interests.

2. Which subject is more challenging?

Both geometry and graph theory can be challenging in their own ways. Geometry requires strong visualization skills and understanding of abstract concepts, while graph theory involves complex mathematical and analytical thinking. It is important to choose a subject that you are willing to put effort and time into studying.

3. How will geometry or graph theory benefit me in the future?

Both subjects have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and physics. Geometry is used in architecture and design, while graph theory is used in data analysis and network optimization. Consider your career goals and which subject will be more useful in your chosen field.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking geometry or graph theory?

Most high schools require students to have a strong foundation in algebra before taking geometry or graph theory. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic geometry concepts before diving into graph theory.

5. Which subject is more interesting?

This is subjective and varies from person to person. Some may find the visual aspect of geometry more interesting, while others may enjoy the problem-solving aspect of graph theory. It is important to choose the subject that you find more engaging and enjoyable, as it will likely lead to better academic performance.