Should I stay in engineering ?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ThiagoMartins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker has just completed their bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, where they excelled in theoretical courses but struggled in practical work. They question their abilities and wonder if they made a mistake in choosing engineering as a career. They are seeking advice on whether to continue in engineering or switch to a field like Physics or Mathematics. One suggestion is to consider graduate school in engineering, which may focus more on theory.
ThiagoMartins
Hi to all, I just got my bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering finishing first in my class. I also got my Engineer certificate in my country via thesis dissertation.

My problem is I think I don’t have the necessary to be an engineer. In college, I did very good and had no problem getting excellent grades on "theoretical" courses(Calculus, Physics, Circuit Design, Control Theory, etc), but when I had to work in laboratory and was asked to build certain projects I always sucked. I recognize that I had no interest in these kind of tasks and preferred to study “theory” instead of building a Power Supply or program a microcontroller but even when I tried to my results were really poor. It was frustrating for me, I had no problem understanding “difficult”concepts but when it came to a real world applications I was useless in my groups project. My lack of lab/technical/practical skills(and maybe passion) makes me think that I made a mistake by choosing an engineering carreer.

My question is should I stay in Engineering and look for an area where I could fit and be useful? In which areas you recommend me to try? (I liked areas such as DSP, RF communication and integrated circuits but I think I liked them more for their Physics and Math content than for their actual applications)

Or maybe should I switch to a “pure ”science career like Physics or Mathematics taking into account that I am 25 years old?

I’d appreciate your opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try grad school in engineering. It tends to emphasize the theory more.

Related to Should I stay in engineering ?

1. Should I stay in engineering if I am not passionate about it?

It ultimately depends on your long-term goals and priorities. If engineering aligns with your career aspirations and offers financial stability, it may be worth staying in. However, if you have no interest in the field and find it unfulfilling, it may be worth exploring other options.

2. Is it worth staying in engineering if I am struggling with the coursework?

It is common for engineering students to face challenges with coursework, but it is important to assess whether these difficulties are due to a lack of interest or a lack of effort. If you are genuinely interested in the subject and are willing to put in the effort to improve, then it may be worth staying in engineering. However, if you are consistently struggling and do not enjoy the material, it may be worth considering a different field.

3. Can I switch out of engineering if I decide it is not for me?

Yes, it is possible to switch out of engineering. However, keep in mind that some courses may not transfer to other majors and you may need to take additional classes to catch up. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any major decisions.

4. Will I have good job prospects if I stay in engineering?

Engineering is a broad field with a high demand for skilled professionals. Depending on your specific area of focus, job prospects may vary. However, in general, engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities with competitive salaries.

5. Do I need to have a strong math and science background to succeed in engineering?

While a strong foundation in math and science can certainly be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines success in engineering. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail. With dedication and hard work, these skills can be developed and strengthened, even if your math and science background is not as strong.