Should I reapply for a missed job?

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: If you get mad about the last no, you'll be a lot less effective in getting to the next yes.In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's struggle with finding employment after a layoff and whether it would be appropriate to reach out to a previous contact for potential job opportunities. They also consider possible reasons for not getting a job offer, including salary and competition from recent graduates. The conversation also touches on the importance of honesty and feedback, as well as the potential negative impact of dwelling on past failures during a job search.
Ronnin
Well, it is going on 4 months now since my layoff and I'm starting to feel desperate about finding work. I have been on a few interviews, some through a recruiter and one on a direct application. The last interview I went on through a recruiter went really well but unfortunatly I did not get the job. I believe I was a very good fit for the job and the interviewers seemed to really like what I had to offer. I still have the contact information for them. My gut feeling as to why I did not land the job was related to salary. I know recruiters tack on 10-20% for their commish and since this was for an entry level position I think that may have priced me out of the slot. About a month has gone since that interview took place. Would it be impropper to use that contact information and try to work my way in directly? I know they have some new oppenings available because of what is posted on their website. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would follow up for feedback directly from the people you spoke with. It is fair ask them directly what the reasons were that they went with someone else. Also, you can let them know that you were impressed with the position and would be interested if something similar came up. Headhunters will likely have had you sign a contract that protects them for any jobs they specifically put you contact with. But for any position you've found yourself, I think it's fair game to apply on your own. Just make sure that you understand the full conditions between yourself and the recruiter.

Ronnin said:
I still have the contact information for them.

It can't hurt much. Just don't put too much hope on it, and keep looking for other things.

My gut feeling as to why I did not land the job was related to salary. I know recruiters tack on 10-20% for their commish and since this was for an entry level position I think that may have priced me out of the slot.

I rather seriously doubt that this was the reason. If you got an interview that means that the company was willing to pay market rate for a new hire. For newbies, the decision is hire/no-hire and salary rarely factors into play.

Also gut feelings tend to be extremely wrong. One thing that you will have to get used to is not getting a job and never knowing why. Sometimes the company hiring really doesn't know why.

I know they have some new openings available because of what is posted on their website. Thoughts?

It can't hurt much, but just don't expect anything.

Also, if you did go through a recruiter, the recruiter should be the person that does the talking. That's what they get paid to do.

Choppy said:
I would follow up for feedback directly from the people you spoke with.

It can't hurt much to ask, but don't expect an answer, especially not an honest one.

People are conditioned against saying "you stink" to random strangers even if that's what they really think, and the point of recruiters is that if the employer really was extremely unimpressed, it's easier to tell them and have them tell you.

One thing that you have to be honest with yourself about is whether you want sympathy or if you want brutal but honest feedback. If you are feeling miserable about yourself, having someone tell you what they honestly think about you, is probably not going to help you.

It is fair ask them directly what the reasons were that they went with someone else.

It's fair to ask, but don't expect an answer. People are polite to strangers.

Headhunters will likely have had you sign a contract that protects them for any jobs they specifically put you contact with.

No that's not how it works. Headhunters don't have any contracts with people they put forward.

I have never been affraid of honesty and I much prefer that to just a generic canned answer. I know they had their internal HR working to fill that slot as well. That is the only reason I think salary may have come into play. I have management experience and a proven work history and finished my degree this last May. I was going in against a lot of fresh out of school types and I have found sometimes that puts me at a disadvantage at times especially in an accounting field. I think I'm looked at as not "groomable" versus someone without the work experience. I just don't want to leave any stone unturned, not in this job market. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Ronnin said:
I have never been afraid of honesty and I much prefer that to just a generic canned answer.

The problem is that the information is not often useful and gets in the way of the job search. If you find that you are completely unqualified for one job, that really tells you nothing useful about the next job.

The problem is not fear, but depression. If finding out how badly you did in one interview prevents you from performing well in the next, it's information that you really don't need.

I have management experience and a proven work history and finished my degree this last May. I was going in against a lot of fresh out of school types and I have found sometimes that puts me at a disadvantage at times especially in an accounting field.

One thing that really, really helped me a lot is to have worked with salesmen. In most sales situations, the answer will be no, so the trick is to go through as many no's as possible so that you can get to a yes. The more you dwell on the past, the less you think about the next lead.

Related to Should I reapply for a missed job?

1. Should I reapply for a job that I previously missed?

It depends on the specific circumstances of the missed job. If you were not selected for the position due to a lack of qualifications or experience, it may be worth reapplying once you have gained more relevant skills or experience. However, if you were not selected due to a poor fit with the company culture or a negative interview experience, it may be best to focus your efforts on other job opportunities.

2. How long should I wait before reapplying for a missed job?

It is generally recommended to wait at least 6 months before reapplying for a missed job. This allows enough time for any changes or improvements to be made on your end, and also gives the company time to potentially have new job openings or a change in their hiring needs.

3. Can I use the same application and resume when reapplying for a missed job?

Yes, you can use the same application and resume when reapplying for a missed job. However, it is important to review and update your application and resume to reflect any new skills or experiences you have gained since your previous application. This will help you stand out as a stronger candidate.

4. Should I mention in my application or interview that I previously missed out on the job?

It is not necessary to mention that you previously missed out on the job in your application or interview. Instead, focus on highlighting your qualifications and why you believe you would be a good fit for the position. However, if you are asked about your previous application, be honest and explain any changes or improvements you have made since then.

5. Is it better to reach out to the company before reapplying for a missed job?

It is generally not recommended to reach out to the company before reapplying for a missed job. If the company is interested in reconsidering you for the position, they will reach out to you. However, if you have a strong connection within the company or have made significant improvements since your previous application, it may be appropriate to reach out and inquire about potential job openings or express your continued interest in the company.