Should I Pursue Physics? Uncovering the Goals and Choices of a Physicist

• Physics
  • Thread starter Anicho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: In the "big" experiments, theory and experiments are usually kept separate, but there are still opportunities for collaboration. It ultimately depends on your interests and goals. In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to have a peaceful life without the responsibilities of family and the thirst for knowledge about the world. It is suggested that studying physics can provide tools to understand various aspects of nature, and the main goals of physicists are to gain a better understanding of electroweak symmetry breaking and potentially find the Higgs boson. However, it is noted that there are many theories and experiments in the field of physics, and one may have to choose between theory and experiments depending on their interests.
Anicho
Is it all it's cracked up to be? o_O
I'd rather have a nice peaceful life, no kids, no wife (perhaps maybe a few close friends). I want to know everything about the world we live in, I even stress because I want to know more. :P

I have a few questions, what are the main goals of physicists? Particularly the "LHC" experiment, find the Higgs boson, then what? Grand unified theory, and ?

I want to do some theory and experiments, so am I going to have to choose between the two?
Sorry if I sound weird o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
Anicho said:
I want to know everything about the world we live in, I even stress because I want to know more. :P

Then I guess studying physics is a good start. It will give you some knowledge about the basics of "everything" which are some of the hardest to obtain. In my opinion, it is much easier to switch from physics to any another field of knowledge than the inverse.

Needless to say that you don't have the time (or memory?) to know everything about our world. Nevertheless you can learn the tools to be able to understand many aspects of nature when presented upon them, and studying physics is a very good choice for getting those tools.

Anicho said:
I have a few questions, what are the main goals of physicists? Particularly the "LHC" experiment, find the Higgs boson, then what? Grand unified theory, and ?
Physics is quite a broad field of knowledge, so there are many, many goals. From getting better materials to understanding the origin of the universe to scraping another precision digit in a particular nuclear resonance.

Talking about the LHC, I would say the main goal is to understand better how electroweak symmetry breaking works (you can google that to get some popular science explanations). In the most standard theories this requires finding this new particle, the Higgs boson, but of course there are many other theories with different experimental signals.

About the "then what"... Well, that depends on what the LHC finds. I have to say that it is very likely that the LHC won't reach enough energies to give a full explanation of this, however. So a new accelerator will need to be built, and it can be very difficult to get the money for that. The energy required to test grand unification is much, much larger than the LHC range (except in some theories), so most probably it won't be tested in the next century.

Anicho said:
I want to do some theory and experiments, so am I going to have to choose between the two?
There are some fields in which you can do that, mainly those involving small-scale experiments (such as condensed matter, biophysics, etc.).

Related to Should I Pursue Physics? Uncovering the Goals and Choices of a Physicist

1. Should I be a physicist?

This is a personal decision that only you can make. Becoming a physicist requires a strong interest and aptitude in math and science, as well as a passion for understanding the natural world.

2. What skills do I need to be a physicist?

To be a successful physicist, you will need to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You should also have a strong background in math and be able to communicate complex ideas effectively.

3. What kind of education do I need to be a physicist?

Most physicists have a doctoral degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. However, some entry-level positions may only require a bachelor's degree in physics.

4. What career opportunities are available for physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including academia, government, and private companies. They can also specialize in different areas such as research, teaching, or applied physics in fields like engineering or medicine.

5. Is being a physicist a financially stable career?

The salary for physicists varies depending on their level of education, experience, and location. However, overall, physicists tend to have above-average salaries and job stability. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained as a physicist can also be applied to other industries, providing a diverse range of career opportunities.