Should I Pursue Engineering or Mathematical Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter narayan.rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: If you want to be a physicist and don't have the inclination to do overloaded works then go for Mathematics.
narayan.rocks
I am an high school student starting grade 11 this year . I have been interested in physics since class 6 and i have been studying advanced physics since then . IN grade 9 and 10 i have read and solved problems from Resnick,halliday and walker's book ( which i think is a undergrad book isn't it? ) and i completed it .
I thought myself calculus( integration , differentiation and solving differential equations and nothing more) , trigonometry , higher algebra and geometry side by side with physics .

i love physics and math and have a deep interest in them . My grasp of physics and math concepts is very good.

My parents insist me to become an engineer as it would land me a higher paying job .
I want to be a mathematical physicist which my parents think isn't a good field and i won't get a good job and would end up a teacher.

what should i do should i go for engineering or mathematical physics. say the pros and cons of each field.

If i decide to go for mathematical physics should i go for APPLIED MATHEMATICS or PHYSICS major or should i major in both or should i take a major and a minor.

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering is definitely a good discipline to enter. Right now, petroleum engineers are garnering big salaries.

You are still pretty young and have about 2 to 3 three years to decide on what you want to do. so don't be hasty.

Another area that may interest you is Computer Science. Its a constantly changing field and always needs talented people. If you were to combine your skills together to do computational physics or computational engineering then that would be very valuable.

Also robotics are starting to take hold in industry so knowledge of mechatronics as an engineer is good as well.

Beware of splitting your degree across two majors such as Biology and Engineering as a BME. What happens is that unless a company is looking explicitly for a BME then they consider you half an engineer or half a biologist and so will look to others with more traditional degrees.

There will be a lot of time in college to select the best path so keep thinking about it and don't be afraid explore other areas before you decide on one.

It is a saying that If you are interested in Physics and Calculus and have a capacity to do overloaded works then go for Engineering

Related to Should I Pursue Engineering or Mathematical Physics?

1. What are the most popular degree options for scientists?

Some of the most popular degree options for scientists include biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and engineering.

2. Which degree will provide the most job opportunities?

This can vary depending on your specific field of interest and the job market at the time. Generally, degrees in high-demand fields such as healthcare, technology, and engineering tend to have more job opportunities.

3. How do I choose between a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD degree?

This decision should be based on your career goals and the specific requirements for the types of jobs you are interested in. A Bachelor's degree is typically the minimum requirement for entry-level positions, while a Master's or PhD may be necessary for more advanced roles or research positions.

4. Is it better to have a degree in a specific field or a more general degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and the job market. A specific degree may make you more qualified for certain positions, while a more general degree can provide a broader skill set and make you more versatile in the job market.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a degree program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a degree program include your interests, career goals, job market demand, program curriculum, location, cost, and accreditation of the institution. It's important to research and carefully weigh all of these factors before making a decision.