Should I Pursue a Physics Minor or Focus on Nuclear Engineering Research?

In summary: In your case, you can take a minor in physics if you want, but you won't be doing anything like a nuclear engineer would.
DR13
Sorry this is so long...

I am majoring in nuclear engineering (currently first year) and I am making my schedule for next year. It looks like this so far:
MechE 235 (Thermodynamics, 3 credits)
Math 425 (Prob and Stats, 3 credits)
Film 236 (Intro class, 4 credits)
Undergrad research (2 credits)

This is only 12 credits which is obviously a very light load. My counsleor laid out a 4-yr plan for my graduation and I will have plenty of credits to graduate. However, I have some other options open to me if I choose to pursue them:

With my current plan I end up one class shy of a physics minor. It would be a 3 credit, 300 level class on waves, heat and light with a 2 credit lab attached. This course really does not interest me but if it would help out my career a lot to have the minor then I would bite the bullet and take it in the upcoming semester.

The current research that I am doing is through the Materials Science and Engineering department. My counselor said that I could also sign on to one of the nuclear professors and do work for two labs. My worry about this is that although I have time this semester, I would not have enough time for the next three years to keep it up. So then I would have to decide which research group to stay with. I would prefer to work with the nuclear department since that is, after all, my major. However, I am happy with the group I am with now. I have a lot of responsibility and freedom and they have been very good to me. I would hate to switch to a situation where I do not get to do any of the real research. I plan on emailing a few professors and hopefully they will be honest with me about how much responsibility I would actually have.

If anyone has advice on how I should proceed it would be much appreciated. Right now I am leaning towards not doing the physics minor and switching into a nuclear engineering research group.

Thanks,
DR13

Physics news on Phys.org
In terms of credits, I'm currently taking 15 and planning on continuing taking 15-17 every semester. I'm in Nuclear Engineering as well.

I also work 20 hours a week for a research group and it's very doable. I'd suggest taking a heavier course load.

I have had the suggestion of working for two professor's research groups, but I'd think that wouldn't provide enough time to get real research done.

crazyisraelie said:
In terms of credits, I'm currently taking 15 and planning on continuing taking 15-17 every semester. I'm in Nuclear Engineering as well.

I also work 20 hours a week for a research group and it's very doable. I'd suggest taking a heavier course load.

I have had the suggestion of working for two professor's research groups, but I'd think that wouldn't provide enough time to get real research done.

The research group I am in right now is not 20 hrs/wk but that may just be because I am a first year. I agree with what you say about not getting any real research done. But if I am staying with only one group, do you think that I should switch to a nuclear group? I would feel bad just leaving the group that I am in since they have been so good to me but I guess I have to do what is best for my self. I'm just worried that I will switch to a group and be in a position in which I have no responsibility.

EDIT: About taking a heavier courseload. I figure I might as well get better grades (and enjoy life more) with a lighter load

Last edited:
Minors really don't matter unless you can do what someone with that major does.

I can understand your dilemma and I am happy to provide some advice on your minor and research options.

Firstly, it is great that you are planning ahead and considering your options for your next year's schedule. It is important to have a well-balanced and manageable workload in order to succeed in your studies and research. However, I would caution against taking on too many responsibilities at once, as this can lead to burnout and affect the quality of your work.

Regarding the physics minor, it is important to consider how it will benefit your career in nuclear engineering. While having a diverse set of knowledge and skills can be valuable, it is also important to focus on your major and gain a deep understanding of it. If the physics minor does not interest you and will not significantly benefit your career, it may be better to focus on your major courses and research.

In terms of research, it is understandable that you want to work with a nuclear engineering professor since it aligns with your major and career goals. However, it is also important to consider the opportunities and responsibilities that come with each research group. It may be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni who have worked with these professors to get a better understanding of their research groups and the level of responsibility given to students. Additionally, you can also discuss your concerns with your current research group and see if there is a possibility for you to continue working with them while also exploring opportunities in the nuclear engineering department.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what you feel is best for your academic and career goals. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and consider how it will impact your overall academic experience. I would also recommend discussing your options with your academic advisor or other faculty members who can provide guidance and support in making this decision. Good luck with your studies and research!

Related to Should I Pursue a Physics Minor or Focus on Nuclear Engineering Research?

What is the difference between minor and research?

The main difference between a minor and research is the level of depth and focus. A minor is a secondary area of study that complements the major, while research involves conducting original investigations and contributing to the existing body of knowledge in a specific field.

What advice do you have for choosing a minor?

When choosing a minor, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and how it will complement your major. You should also research the requirements and courses offered in the minor to ensure it aligns with your academic and personal goals.

How can I find a research opportunity?

There are several ways to find a research opportunity, such as reaching out to professors in your field of interest, checking your university's research database, attending research fairs, and networking with other students and faculty members.

What skills are important for success in minor and research?

Some important skills for success in minor and research include critical thinking, problem-solving, time management, communication, and attention to detail. It is also important to have a strong work ethic and be open to learning and adapting to new challenges.

What are some potential benefits of pursuing a minor and research?

Pursuing a minor and research can have many benefits, such as expanding your knowledge and skills, enhancing your resume and graduate school applications, networking with professionals in your field, and potentially leading to publications or presentations at conferences. It can also help you explore your interests and make informed decisions about your career path.