Should I major in engineering physics in college?

In summary, people told me that I should take computer science and later pursue a masters in any desired stream. However, I am currently in my undergrad completing a physics major and I really don't want to specialize in just one field. I think I should take a look at my school's curriculum and make sure its accredited before deciding what I should do.
ajitesh50
I am about to complete high school.I am interested in a profession which includes developing of new engineering technologies and devices,preferably in bio-engineering.I asked some people regarding the courses I must take in college.Instead of courses that interest me like Biotechnology and engineering,people told me to take computer science and later pursue a masters in any desired stream.I was told that the courses I was thinking about will expose me to a lot of different topics without actually specializing in any one.This sounded reasonable,but computer science bores the hell out of me.I'd rather graduate in a subject that interests me and is related to the work I want to do later on in my life .I've been thinking about graduating with a combination of engineering physics and computer science.That way i will be studying what I like and have a job security(I guess) with computer science(Which I believe is also critically important for engineering jobs).An uncle of mine said that a bachelors degree is only to make me technical and any strong subject like mechanical or computers will benefit me more.he said that I can take up any desired subject in post graduate studies after graduating with these subjects.Also he said that engineering physics is very basic and not too useful for me.Now I am confused about what subjects I should take in college.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently in my undergrad completing a physics major, my University didn't have a engineering physics program or else I would have taken that. But one thing you should know, regardless of your Engineering stream, you will learn to program. Even as a physics major I have learned how to program. Although you will learn the basic fundamentals of programming. As for which stream, it depends on your preferences. Mechanical Engineering would give you a more hands on experience in building things for sure. Engineering Physics would give you more of a theoretical background, which would probably be of more use for research, as physics is mostly theoretical and teaches you how to formulate research questions. Not to say other streams wouldn't do the same, but engineering physics more so. But if you are looking for more broad degree to get your feet wet, I would suggest Engineering Physics if you don't want to specialize as much. You could always do a minor in computer science so you can gain a bit more of a programming background without getting too bored :).

I don't know about where your at but engineering physics would be held to the prestige of like environmental engineering tech. instead of something like electrical, chemical, or mechanical engineering. there is a school close to me where you can get a bs in physics engineering but theyre not abet engineering certified. so I don't know how that degree holds by itself for employment.

I think you need to check your school and make sure its accredited. Where I am, engineering physics is one of the most difficult programs (UBC&SFU) and they are also accredited. Both these programs have a lot of computer eng/sci courses. UBC allows you to specialize in mech, electrical, compE, applied physics, geology and much more. SFU specializes in electrical/electronics/computer. So it really depends on what school the program is offered so take a look at your school's curriculum and also see if its accredited.

I understand your desire to pursue a major that aligns with your interests and career goals. It is important to consider the advice of others, but ultimately the decision should be based on what you are passionate about and what will set you up for success in your desired field.

Engineering physics is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines elements of both engineering and physics. It can provide a strong foundation for a career in bio-engineering, as it involves the development of new technologies and devices. However, it is important to note that this major may not be as specific to bio-engineering as a major in biotechnology or biomedical engineering would be.

Computer science is also a valuable field, especially in the current job market where technology is constantly advancing. However, if it is not a subject that interests you, it may not be the best fit for your college major. It is important to find a balance between practicality and passion in your academic pursuits.

Your uncle makes a valid point that a bachelor's degree is primarily meant to provide you with a technical foundation, and you can always specialize in a specific subject through post-graduate studies. However, it is also important to choose a major that you are genuinely interested in, as this can greatly impact your academic success and motivation.

In terms of job security, it is important to note that no degree can guarantee a job. It is ultimately your skills, experiences, and passion that will make you stand out in the job market. If you are passionate about engineering physics, it is likely that you will excel in this field and have job opportunities in a variety of industries.

In summary, my recommendation would be to pursue a major that aligns with your interests and career goals. Consider the advice of others, but ultimately make the decision that feels right for you. You can always specialize in a specific subject through post-graduate studies, and remember that your passion and dedication will ultimately lead to success in your chosen field.

Related to Should I major in engineering physics in college?

1. What is engineering physics and what can I do with a degree in this field?

Engineering physics is a branch of science that combines principles of physics and engineering to solve real-world problems. With a degree in engineering physics, you can pursue a career in various fields such as research and development, product design, manufacturing, and consulting.

2. Is engineering physics a difficult major?

Engineering physics is a challenging major that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. You will also need to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling major.

3. What are the benefits of majoring in engineering physics?

Majoring in engineering physics can provide you with a strong foundation in both physics and engineering, making you a versatile and well-rounded professional. You will also develop valuable skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical writing, which are highly sought after in various industries.

4. What are some potential drawbacks of majoring in engineering physics?

One potential drawback of majoring in engineering physics is the heavy workload and challenging coursework. Additionally, the job market for engineering physics graduates may be limited compared to other engineering majors. However, with the right skills and experience, you can still find many opportunities in various industries.

5. How can I determine if engineering physics is the right major for me?

If you have a strong interest in both physics and engineering, enjoy solving complex problems, and have a strong foundation in math and science, engineering physics may be the right major for you. It is also helpful to talk to current engineering physics students and professionals in the field to gain more insight and advice.