Should I get degree(s) in these majors why or why not?

In summary, it is best to start with Physics and Engineering, and learn about your goal and focus as you go.
jason5699
I have recently finished my junior year in high school. I am seriously considering astrophysics, nuclear engineering, and structural engineering. I would love to get a degree in all of them if possible but,
which one should i get first to help me get a job to afford to get the others?
what about salaries which ones pay better and why?
would it even be beneficial to have that combination of majors?
after getting the first one should i get bachelors in the others or masters? can I?
Also if other majors may be more beneficial to combine that are similar to the ones mentioned what would they be?
What colleges would be good for me to consider with those majors? i live in oklahoma but if cheep enough have no problem going out of state.
I also have interest in air traffic control how would that come into play?
If this makes a difference i really enjoy geometry and physics but not so much chemistry,would that suggest me not studying one of those majors and/or suggest other majors to consider?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've picked three areas which don't have much overlap among them, so it's difficult to recommend that you should get a degree in all three, unless you want to be some sort of professional student for most of your life.

You can get a good job in either of the two engineering fields with a bachelor's degree, but the astrophysics will probably take a graduate degree and maybe a doctorate to get a good job in that field.

I'm pretty sure that air traffic control will have no influence on astrophysics (unless personal spacecraft become a thing) or nuclear engineering, but if you decide on structural engineering, you might be called on to design an ATC tower for an airport someday.

The most important thing at this stage of your life is to take a few minutes and try to focus on what you want to do as a career. Rank your interests on a scale which runs from just interest as a hobby to interest as in a career, where you work at it 5 days a week all year.

If you find that concentration is not your thing, I would consult with a physician. They have some wonderful therapies now for people who can't focus.

jason5699,
You are young. Best to start with Physics and Engineering and learn about what your goal should be. You can decide how to narrow your focus as you go. Physics, good for understanding. Engineering, good for getting a job. Engineering without understanding has very little meaning. Physics is still good for you.

Related to Should I get degree(s) in these majors why or why not?

1. Should I get a degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) majors?

It depends on your career goals and interests. STEM majors often have a high demand in the job market and can lead to well-paying jobs. They also require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, if you are not passionate about these subjects, it may be difficult to excel in these majors.

2. Is a degree in the Humanities or Social Sciences worth it?

Again, it depends on your interests and career goals. Humanities and Social Science majors often involve critical thinking, communication, and writing skills, which are highly valued in many industries. These majors can also lead to fulfilling careers in fields such as education, law, or social work.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a degree in Business or Finance?

A degree in Business or Finance can provide a strong foundation for a career in the corporate world. These majors often involve courses in economics, accounting, and management, which are essential for understanding how businesses operate. They also offer opportunities for networking and internships, which can lead to job opportunities after graduation.

4. Is it better to have a specialized degree or a general degree?

It depends on your career goals and the job market. A specialized degree in a specific field can make you more competitive for certain jobs, but it may limit your options if you decide to change career paths. A general degree, on the other hand, can provide a broad knowledge base and transferable skills that can be applied to various industries.

5. Should I get multiple degrees in different majors?

It depends on your interests and career goals. Having multiple degrees can make you more versatile and attractive to potential employers, especially if the degrees complement each other. However, it may also require a longer time and financial investment. It is important to carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks before pursuing multiple degrees.