Should I get a graphing calculator just to leave it at home?

In summary: D0+to+piIn summary, the conversation focused on the use of a graphic calculator in math exams and its effectiveness in solving problems involving integral and differential calculus. The speaker expressed concerns about not being allowed to use a graphic calculator in their upcoming mechanics exam and the teacher's disapproval of using them in class. They also mentioned their future plans of studying engineering at university and the potential need for a graphic calculator. The other person suggested using Wolfram Alpha as an alternative to a graphic calculator for its convenience and capabilities. Overall, the conversation emphasized the importance of practice and developing skills in solving math problems rather than relying on a tool like a graphic calculator.
rollcast
In maths in school we are starting to do a lot of problems involving integral and differential calculus as well as general algebra. The problem is while I can see the correct method of going about obtaining a solution it takes me a long time to get there as the integration and stuff takes up time and I'm not getting marks for it!

I'm not allowed to use a graphic calculator in one of my exams, mechanics. So our teacher doesn't like them in her class. Should I get one anyway and use it at home and for the parts I can use it?

The other thing is that I want to do maths next year and do engineering at uni so I would need one then.

Thanks
AL

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Obviously they are good for drawing graphs from "formulas", but IMO they are not really much use in more advanced work. You would be better in the long term learning how to sketch the graphs by hand.

If you are getting the right answers but taking too much time to solve the problems, most likely what you need is lots and lots of practice. Think about what parts of the complete solution are taking most of the time, and concentrate on practicing just that part - don't waste time doing the stuff that you are already good at!

If you are only going to be using it at home then I think a much better option is Wolfram Alpha. It has the advantages of being, free, available anywhere there is internet access, easy to use, and more powerful than a graphing calculator.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+sin(2x)+*+x^3

Related to Should I get a graphing calculator just to leave it at home?

1. What is the purpose of a graphing calculator?

A graphing calculator is a specialized calculator that can plot graphs, perform calculations, and store data. It is commonly used in math and science classes to aid in solving complex equations and visualizing data.

2. Do I really need a graphing calculator?

It depends on your academic needs and the requirements of your classes. If you are taking math or science courses that involve graphing or complex calculations, a graphing calculator may be necessary. However, if you are not taking these types of classes, a regular calculator may suffice.

3. Can I use a graphing calculator on exams?

This also depends on the rules and regulations of your school and the specific exam. Some exams may allow the use of a graphing calculator, while others may not. It is always best to check with your teacher or professor beforehand.

4. Is it worth spending the money on a graphing calculator?

Again, this depends on your academic needs. If you will be using a graphing calculator frequently for classwork and exams, it may be a worthwhile investment. However, if you will only use it sparingly, it may be more cost-effective to borrow one from a friend or use a calculator app on your phone.

5. Can I leave my graphing calculator at home and still do well in my classes?

It is possible to do well in your classes without a graphing calculator, but it may be more challenging. It is important to have access to the necessary tools and resources to succeed in your courses, so it is recommended to have a graphing calculator if it is required for your classes.