Should i be worried? (DE Course)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's concern about missing content in their differential equations course, specifically the topics of higher order ODEs, systems of ODEs, and Laplace transform. The student is wondering if they should be worried about this missing content and if they should try to learn it on their own. The conversation also mentions a recommendation for a book that may provide a more qualitative, geometric view of differential equations. Overall, the student is reassured that the course is sufficient for their degree and that more advanced topics will be covered in later courses.
Remixex
Hello all, my question is if i should or not be worried about the apparent "missing" (or alternative) content about my DE course.
My DE course (and the only one in the list of courses i must take to get my degree) consisted on
First order ODEs (Separation of variables, homogeneous, Bernoulli's, etc) -> Applications (Newton's law of cooling, mixing problems, etc)-> "Superior" order ODEs (Oscillations, Euler's equation, variation of parameters, etc)-> Fourier Series (Coefficients, convergence, Parseval's identity)->Sturm Liouville problems -> Linear PDEs (Separation of variables, Source term, Wave equation, Laplace's equation, Heat equation, membrane problems)
Now onto the question at hand, we didn't see what most ODE specific courses do, system of ODEs and Laplace transform.
I'm aiming for a Geophysics degree and I'm finishing my second year, should i be worried about this missing content? Should i try to learn it by myself? Or is this course "good enough"?
Thanks beforehand

Physics news on Phys.org
Remixex said:
"Superior" order ODEs
What are these? ODEs of order higher than one?
Remixex said:
system of ODEs
If the answer to the question I asked above is "yes", then you will encounter systems of ODEs, because every ODE of order ##n## can be written as a system of ##n## (generally coupled) ODEs of order ##1##.
Remixex said:
Laplace transform.
I would not worry too much about missing this in the course. It is very important for certain applications (e.g. in linear systems and control). If needed, you can easily pick up a book later on and learn it yourself.
Remixex said:
should i be worried about this missing content? Should i try to learn it by myself? Or is this course "good enough"?
I don't think you should be worried, but I would perhaps consider taking a second course at some point during your student life. There are very interesting applications of (P)DE in geophysics that this course may not even touch upon, such as fluid flow or flow through porous media.

Incidentally, for a more qualitative, geometric view towards differential equations that connects well to current research and application, I could recommend the third edition of Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, and an Introduction to Chaos by Hirsch, Smale and Devaney, 2012. The first edition is titled Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems and Linear Algebra by Hirsch and Smale, 1974. It is a beautiful book, accessible but a bit more mathematical than the subsequent editions.

It is my impression that some students are put off by a lot of initial courses on DE because they (still) focus on analytical solution techniques. If your course is like that, the geometric approach may provide some fresh motivation.

Likes Remixex
Yes superior order is order higher than one but still ODEs (that's how we named it here), such as a 3rd order Euler's equation.
Thanks for the advice, the follow-up course of this (the one I'm taking and trying to finish right now) is called Oscillations and waves , which expanded on many of these concepts (the problem is no longer how to solve the differential equation, it is about actually writing it down interpreting the physical phenomena presented, and doing the correct approximations so an analytical solution is valid) , but the course is still analytical, numerical methods courses are a couple of semesters ahead.

Related to Should i be worried? (DE Course)

1. Should I be worried about taking this DE course?

It is natural to feel worried about taking a new course, especially if it is in a subject you are unfamiliar with. However, as long as you are willing to put in the effort and stay committed, there is no reason to be worried about taking a DE course. With hard work and dedication, you can succeed in any subject.

2. Will the material in this DE course be too difficult for me to understand?

DE courses are designed to be challenging, but not impossible. As long as you have a basic understanding of the subject matter and are willing to put in the time and effort to study and practice, you should be able to understand the material. Additionally, most DE courses offer resources such as tutoring or office hours to help you if you are struggling.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for this DE course?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for a DE course varies depending on your personal learning style and the course material. As a general rule, you should plan to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour you spend in class. However, this may vary and you may need to spend more or less time depending on the difficulty of the material.

4. Will this DE course negatively affect my GPA?

It is always a possibility that a course, including a DE course, may negatively affect your GPA if you do not perform well. However, if you work hard and put in the effort, there is no reason why a DE course should significantly lower your GPA. Remember to communicate with your instructor if you are struggling and utilize any resources available to you.

5. Are DE courses as valuable as traditional in-person courses?

DE courses are just as valuable as traditional in-person courses. They offer the same curriculum and are taught by qualified instructors. Additionally, DE courses provide the flexibility to work at your own pace and often have lower costs. As long as you put in the effort and stay committed, a DE course can be just as beneficial as a traditional course.