Should i be a physics major instead?

In summary, the person is a sophomore who is considering majoring in physics after originally planning to study chemistry. They have realized that they are more interested in using differential math to prove physics and have concerns about their grades in first semester physics and calculus. They are also unsure if it is worth getting a physics degree from their school and are considering talking to other majors and advisors for more information. However, they have a strong interest in physics and have helped classmates with the material. They also plan on staying motivated and finding ways to make the material more interesting.
poobunnies
i'm a sophomore and I'm almost a junior by now...
i took a year of intro physics this year and am considering majoring in it.
originally i had planned on studying chemistry, but now i really like how differential math is used to prove physics.
i'm also beginning to realize that in organic chemistry lab i don't even wonder about what's going on in my erlenmeyer flask. i am also scared of getting cancer..

a few major concerns;
i kind of blew first semester physics, slept through most classes, got slightly below average on tests, and got a 3.3. i don't think i thoroughly know all the material especially waves and optics, and rotational motion.
this semester, i don't know if my grade will turn out better, but I've definitely stayed awake and become more interested in electromagnetism. also the professor is more interesting.

i also blew my calculus 3 final (everything else was fine) and got 2.7 in the previous semester. but now that the calculus i learned is applied more often (or maybe cause I've awakened to these things), math in physics has become interesting. in fact, i feel like I am learning more calculus in physics, since my calculus class has just been about memorizing equations for me.
and i thought i really hated math!

lastly,
i took my intro level physics class at a different institution that's known to be stronger in the sciences. in fact, student there think physics at my college is weak. i kind of agree because the intro physics labs at my school are exactly like that of high school labs. so is it worth getting a physics degree at my school? i have yet to talk to other majors and advisors. our chemistry department is pretty strong though.

what should i do? i like physics like i do philosophy, but it takes a lot of thinking!
also i don't feel like a complete idiot at physics..i've helped a few classmates so i do have some little confidence, even though most people tend to be so intimidated by it, even if they get B's on midterms like i do. so perhaps i should do away with my false confidence and be intimidated as well...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a really strong interest in physics, but that you are also facing some difficulties in the classes. It's great that you have been able to help other classmates and that you have some confidence in your abilities, but it also sounds like you need to put in some extra effort to make sure you understand the material and get the grades you deserve. It is worth considering getting a degree in physics from your school, but it might be worthwhile to speak to an advisor or professor in the department to get a better sense of the program's strengths and weaknesses. You could also talk to other students in the department to get their perspectives. Additionally, it might be a good idea to reach out to someone in the chemistry department to get a better understanding of their program.No matter what, it's important to stay motivated and to not let any difficulties get you down. You should also try to find ways to make the material more interesting and enjoyable for yourself. Good luck!

Related to Should i be a physics major instead?

1. Should I be a physics major instead of my current major?

It ultimately depends on your interests and goals. If you have a passion for physics and want to pursue a career in a related field, then switching to a physics major may be the right choice for you. However, if you are content with your current major and have no interest in physics, then it may not be the best fit for you.

2. What are the benefits of majoring in physics?

Majoring in physics can provide you with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It can also open up various career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and academia. Additionally, studying physics can help you better understand the world around you and satisfy your curiosity about the laws of nature.

3. What are the challenges of being a physics major?

Physics can be a challenging subject, and majoring in it requires a strong aptitude for math and science. It also involves a significant amount of theoretical and abstract thinking, which can be difficult for some students. Additionally, physics courses often have rigorous coursework and require a lot of studying and dedication.

4. How can I determine if a physics major is right for me?

You can start by taking introductory physics courses to see if you enjoy the subject and are able to handle the coursework. You can also speak with current physics majors and professors to gain insight into the program and ask any questions you have. Additionally, consider your long-term goals and whether a physics degree aligns with them.

5. What are some alternative majors that are similar to physics?

Some majors that have similar concepts and skills to physics include engineering, mathematics, astronomy, and computer science. These majors also require a strong background in math and science and can lead to careers in similar fields. However, each major has its own unique focus and curriculum, so it is important to research and determine which one aligns best with your interests and goals.