Should I be a Mechanical Engineer or a Chemical Engineer?

In summary, it is recommended to not become a chemical engineer if chemistry does not excite you. Mechanical engineering offers a diverse range of job opportunities, with some involving hands-on work such as fixing cars. It is advised to not worry too much about choosing a specific branch of engineering at an early stage, as the first two years of coursework are generally similar for all branches. Mechanical engineers work in various industries and are primarily responsible for designing and analyzing machines and systems. Ultimately, an engineering degree teaches problem-solving skills and adaptability, making it possible for engineers to switch between disciplines if necessary.
Sol1061
Hey guys, I'm 16 this year and I've already decided to be an engineer. it's just i don't know what type i want to become. I am leaning towards mechanical engineering more because i heard you get to break things apart and assemble them. and it's the most diverse engineering branch.

i currently ace my physics, chemistry and english. my biology is pretty much lousy while i usually get Bs for my advanced math (in my country, we can't choose calculus or algebra) it's just advanced math which covers things like trigonometry, algebra, coordinate geometry, functions and much more. i personally love physics, though chemistry doesn't excite me that much.

i'm thinking of taking some workshop classes during my holidays, i want to learn to fix cars. I've got to start the practical side somewhere right?

What do you suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
If chemistry does not excite you I recommend you do not become a chemical engineer

Well most mechanical engineer doesn't involve a lot of fixing cars and breaking things about. Typically technicians do a lot of the hands-on work but that varies, of course.

It's way too early to decide which engineering branch is best for you, as they are somewhat different. They all typically have very similar coursework the first two years (math and physics foundation) so you have time.

then what do mechanical engineers do?

Sol1061 said:
then what do mechanical engineers do?

I always recommend electrical engineering simply because we are the smartest people on Earth.
haha

From what I've seen of mechanical engineers, they size heating and coolilng ducts and size fans, condensers, air handlers etc. They also work with fluid in pipes for machines. Kinda boring stuff in my opinion.

Some mech engineers will design gas motors and bearings and the sort of thing you might imagine. I believe this stuff is the minority, and the heating/cooling stuff is the majority. Just my opinion tho.

It is also my belief that electrical engineering has a huge future as far as job security and money making. Just think about what would happen if there was no electricity even for a day.

Of course, you could say just imagine if you had no heating or cooling for a day.

psparky said:
I always recommend electrical engineering simply because we are the smartest people on Earth.

^He's right you know

As for what mechanical engineers do...
That really depends on the industry.

They design motors (both electrical and mechanical), build housing structures for electronics, do vibration analysis, do thermal analysis, fluid analysis (air is a fluid), acoustics, dynamics, etc. There is a lot you can do in mechanical engineering.

psparky said:

I used to think that as an electronic engineer. Then I saw the engineering physics major. My pride was broken forever. :P

Don't worry at this point whether to pursue ME or ChemE. There is plenty of time to explore, learn, and follow your path. I received excellent advice from a professor many years ago about which discipline. He told us newbies "If you don't know which discipline you want to enter, then go with mechanical. It is the broadest of all engineering disciplines. From there you can change to anything."

The first two years of all the curricula are almost identical. That gives you two years in the academic environment to explore the different disciplines and decide what best suits you.

And ignore the descriptions of what ME's do that are given here: those comments are weak and uninformed. Do your own research. The US Government's Department of Labor offers some fairly good ME job descriptions. ME's are engaged in so many broad areas it is genuinely difficult to encapsulate what it is that they do. Generally MEs are considered to work in three major areas: machine design, thermal sciences, and manufacturing. Those broad categories branch out into thousands of different job descriptions.

But here is the bottom line: an BS engineering degree teaches one how to solve problems. And THAT is the skill companies will hire you for.

thanks everyone! i'll take my time and think about it for sure

Generally speaking, a MechE and ChemE can do each other's jobs if they are willing to adapt and continue to study "on the job". The major tradeoff between these two disciplines is the emphasis on chemistry for ChemE instead of machine design and IC engines for MechE (in general). However, barring very few exceptions (catalysis, production process, industrial machine design) the concepts taught to both are familiar enough that they can start working and become competent engineers in each others' respective fields. I would thus advise you not to worry too much about it if you are unsure of where you want to work as switching over is not a herculean task. However, if you do have a clear idea of what you want to do - for e.g. ChemE's are preferred for the pharmaceutical industry - then go for the branch best suited to the kind of job you want to do.

Related to Should I be a Mechanical Engineer or a Chemical Engineer?

1. Should I choose mechanical engineering or chemical engineering?

This is a common question for students interested in engineering. Both mechanical engineering and chemical engineering are highly sought-after fields with a wide range of career opportunities. The best way to decide between the two is to research the specific job roles and industries that each field offers and see which aligns more with your interests and goals.

2. What are the main differences between mechanical engineering and chemical engineering?

The main difference between mechanical engineering and chemical engineering is the focus of their studies. Mechanical engineering primarily deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machinery, while chemical engineering focuses on the design, development, and production of chemical products and processes. Additionally, mechanical engineers typically work with physical systems, while chemical engineers work with chemical reactions and materials.

3. Which engineering field has better job prospects?

Both mechanical engineering and chemical engineering have strong job prospects, as they are both essential industries in various fields such as manufacturing, energy, and healthcare. However, job opportunities and demand may vary depending on location, industry, and economic conditions.

4. Is one engineering field more challenging than the other?

Both mechanical engineering and chemical engineering require a high level of technical and problem-solving skills. However, the difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. Some students may find mechanical engineering more challenging due to its focus on physical systems and machinery, while others may find chemical engineering more challenging due to its application of complex chemical processes.

5. Can I switch from one engineering field to the other?

Yes, it is possible to switch from mechanical engineering to chemical engineering or vice versa. Many core concepts and skills are transferable between the two fields, making it easier to transition. However, it may require additional coursework or training to gain the necessary knowledge and skills in the new field.