Should I add a CV for this job or is my CV irrevelant and pretentious?

• Thread starter Dens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv Job
In summary, the person is applying for a simple job as a computer/library lab assistant. The job basically includes helping people with printing problems and opening up labs when possible. The only required document is a cover letter.
Dens
I am applying for a very simple job as a computer/library lab assistant. The job basically includes helping people with printing problems in the lbirary, opening up labs when possible .

An excerpt of the qualification requirements is

Candidates will have a strong commitment to service. They will be interested in improving their information, computer and technology skills. They must be able to work effectively in a complex team environment. Candidates must have good communication skills. Familiarity with the university's computer systems, learning technologies and websites are desirable.

The only document required is a cover letter, but I thought I might include a CV just to "improve" my chances

CV (template only) : http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2937/28689616.jpg

Based on the description, would submitting my CV be hurtful? If possible could you also give me some opinion on my CV? Like is there anything awkward in the CV or things I should best leave out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do it. You should never apply for a job without one.

As #2 said, there's nothing wrong with telling them what you have done - but maybe you don't need to give a university library links to two job descriptions for TA posts. They probably already know what TAs do. Always edit a CV to match the specific job you are applying for!

"Imterests - eating" looked a bit odd as well. I would either leave that out or make it more specific, if you are an "expert" on some particular aspect of food.

You're CV looks fine but your interests made me laugh. You may well be interested in eating but it looks wrong on a CV. Also the "helping others with homework" almost sounds like you are helping people cheat and there is a risk it may be read this way. I'd make that sound a bit more professional - informal tutoring or something like that might be better.

I understand the importance of providing relevant and accurate information when applying for a job. In this case, I would recommend submitting a CV as it can showcase your qualifications and experiences that may be applicable to the job. However, it is important to tailor your CV to the specific requirements and qualifications listed in the job description. This will help demonstrate your commitment to service, interest in improving information and technology skills, and ability to work in a team environment.

As for the CV you have provided, it is important to ensure that all the information is accurate and up-to-date. Additionally, it may be helpful to include specific examples or achievements that highlight your skills and experiences in relation to the job. It is also important to avoid any unnecessary or irrelevant information, as this may come across as pretentious. Overall, I would recommend carefully reviewing the job description and tailoring your CV accordingly to increase your chances of success. Best of luck with your application!

Related to Should I add a CV for this job or is my CV irrevelant and pretentious?

Question 1: Should I include a CV for this job?

It is always recommended to include a CV when applying for a job. A CV provides a comprehensive overview of your education, work experience, skills, and accomplishments, allowing the employer to get a better understanding of your qualifications for the job.

Question 2: Is my CV irrelevant for this job?

If your CV accurately reflects your education, work experience, skills, and accomplishments, it is not irrelevant. However, if your CV does not align with the job requirements, it may be considered irrelevant. In this case, it is best to highlight the relevant skills and experiences in your CV that are applicable to the job.

Question 3: Is including a CV considered pretentious?

No, including a CV is not considered pretentious. It is a standard practice in the job application process and provides employers with the necessary information to assess your qualifications for the job. Omitting a CV may be seen as unprofessional and may decrease your chances of being considered for the job.

Question 4: What should I include in my CV?

Your CV should include your personal information, educational background, work experience, skills, and any relevant accomplishments or achievements. It should also be tailored to the specific job you are applying for and highlight the qualifications that make you a strong candidate for the position.

Question 5: Can I include additional information in my CV?

Yes, you can include additional information in your CV that may be relevant to the job or showcase your skills and experiences. However, it is important to keep your CV concise and relevant to the job you are applying for. Including irrelevant information may make your CV appear cluttered and may decrease its effectiveness.