Should Global Brands Ban Angora Fur After PETA's Investigation?

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Global
In summary, PVH Corp. has announced that they will discontinue the use of angora wool in their products, citing the cruelty shown in a PETA investigation.
Global brands ban angora wool after PETA investigation
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/global-brands-ban-angora-wool-after-peta-investigation/

American clothing company PVH Corp. -- the parent company of Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, IZOD, ARROW, Van Heusen, and other brands -- say they will discontinue the use of angora wool in its products.

The move by PVH follows the release of last month's graphic video of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' investigation into angora farms in China

In the video, Angora rabbits can be heard screaming as farmers rip out their wool until the animals are bald. The rabbits are then thrown back into their cages and appear to be stunned and in shock.

I'm not a huge fan of PETA, but this seems to be good work from them. I'm glad pressure has been put on these companies because imo fur is completely unnecessary when we have plenty of comfy alternatives. fyi, I would advise against watching the video, it's extremely disturbing.

Last edited:
Likes RooksAndBooks
Physics news on Phys.org
This is so disturbing. :cry:

Evo said:
This is so disturbing. :cry:

Yeah, but he TOLD you not to watch it, Evo. You need to have more faith in Greg :smile:

Although it is a tragic loss of life. People who are not vegans should not rejoice. Because isn't the food we consume slaughtered aimals?

TitoSmooth said:
Although it is a tragic loss of life. People who are not vegans should not rejoice. Because inst the food we consume slaughtered animals?

It would be more humane to kill the bunny, sell it's fur and meat, than to torture it for years by ripping it's fur out. Also there are plenty of ways to get fur from an animal without torturing it.

Last edited:
I think the company knew they'd have to drop them when the word got out about how the animals were being treated, so they got cheap fur while they could. I doubt they're that naive to think the animals were being treated well in China. People aren't even treated well there.

I'm always a bit leery to trust PETA after they have planted and staged evidence in other "investigations."

Someone should teach those guys about sheers though.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It would be more humane to kill the bunny, sell it's fur and meat, than to torture it for years by ripping it's fur out. Also there are plenty of ways to get fur from an animal without torturing it.

I would tend to think that is most likely where those particular animals are headed - ie for the slaughter. Not too many knowledgeable farmers would want to overstress their source of income in wool, as seen in the video, for various reasons. No doubt an animal would be put under some stress from having its hair removed, but this goes to the pathological extreme.

Certain breeds of angora rabbit molt and the fur can be plucked off at the right time giving the best quality of product, with no lead hairs, which a shearing would remove.

If China uses the Germain breed of angora rabbit which does not molt, then one does not pluck the fur, but has to shear it off. Either the farmer is dimwitted, knows nothing about his product, or is in a hybrid angora wool-rabbit meat business.

Here is at least a reassuring decent reply to the video from one responsible UK farmer,
http://orkneyangora.co.uk/mainsite/?page_id=343

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Nice to hear some good may come of this. Absolutely no reason to brutalize animals.

"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be."

--Temple Grandin

1. What is angora fur and why is it controversial?

Angora fur is a type of soft, fluffy wool made from the fur of angora rabbits. It is controversial because the rabbits used for their fur are often kept in inhumane conditions and subjected to cruel treatment.

2. Which global brands have banned angora fur?

Some of the major global brands that have banned angora fur from their products include H&M, Zara, Gap, and Calvin Klein. Many other smaller brands have also joined the ban.

3. Why are global brands banning angora fur?

Global brands are banning angora fur in response to public outcry and pressure from animal rights activists. The mistreatment of angora rabbits has been exposed through undercover investigations, leading to a widespread call for the fashion industry to stop using angora fur.

4. Are there any alternatives to angora fur?

Yes, there are many alternatives to angora fur that are just as warm and soft. Some popular alternatives include faux fur, organic cotton, and recycled polyester. These materials are more sustainable and ethical choices for clothing and accessories.

5. What can consumers do to support the ban on angora fur?

Consumers can support the ban on angora fur by choosing to buy from brands that have pledged not to use angora fur, and by avoiding products that contain angora fur. They can also speak out against the use of angora fur and educate others about the issue.

Back