Should Forums Reinstate the Solved Tag to Improve User Experience?

• Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the lack of a feature to mark homework threads as solved has discouraged potential helpers and led to frustration for those looking to offer assistance. While this feature used to exist, it was removed due to lack of use. Some internet forums have successfully implemented a similar feature, and it is suggested that it be reconsidered for this forum. Despite potential challenges with implementation, it could still be beneficial for streamlining the process and improving organization.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The lack of an ability to mark homework threads solved when they are is a discouragement to would-be homework helpers. Sometimes I browse for problems needing help but give up after looking at a few threads only to find that they are solved and no longer in need of input.

There are some closed threads in here discussing this and the fact that the feature disappeared in 2008. It would be good if it could be restored.

I note that many technology internet forums strongly encourage thread starters to mark threads SOLVED when they are, in order not to waste helpers' time. StackExchange uses an analogous approach of marking a question as Answered when the OP accepts an answer..

Likes ognik and Qwertywerty
Physics news on Phys.org
We ended it because it wasn't being used. Most members just didn't take the extra few seconds to mark it solved.

Hi, I suppose there will always be people who don't follow guidelines for whatever reason (but perhaps more members might be more sympathetic today to using it - it is 7 years later and the internet does 'mature' over time) - I personally like to mark threads solved for my own satisfaction and organisation, in addition to andrewkirks good point about making it easier for helpers. If it doesn't cause a problem having it in and not widely used, wouldn't the few people who did use it still make it at least a little easier for helpers?

I guess the main issue whether it is even possible to implement this given the current forum design. I'm all for it, if it were possible.

Related to Should Forums Reinstate the Solved Tag to Improve User Experience?

1. What is the purpose of marking a homework thread as solved?

The purpose of marking a homework thread as solved is to indicate that the question or problem has been resolved and the student has received a satisfactory answer or solution.

2. How do I mark a homework thread as solved?

To mark a homework thread as solved, simply click on the "Mark as solved" button located at the top of the thread. This will change the thread's status to "Solved" and indicate to others that the question has been answered.

3. Can I mark a homework thread as solved even if I am not the original poster?

Yes, anyone can mark a homework thread as solved, even if they are not the original poster. This can be helpful if someone else provides the correct answer or if the original poster forgets to mark it as solved.

4. Is it important to mark homework threads as solved?

Yes, it is important to mark homework threads as solved as it helps other students who may have the same question find the correct answer quickly. It also reduces the number of repeat answers and keeps the forum organized.

5. Can I unmark a homework thread as solved?

Yes, you can unmark a homework thread as solved if you feel that the answer provided was not satisfactory or if the original poster has marked it as solved by mistake. Simply click on the "Unmark as solved" button located at the top of the thread.