Should Bill Wilson have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

• Thread starter Neo_Anderson
  • Start date
In summary, Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, has had a significant impact on alcohol abuse and recovery. His work has inspired various recovery groups and has been compared to that of a Nobel Peace Prize winner. However, some individuals have voted against him receiving the prize, despite not being familiar with his work or the success of AA. This has caused concern for the criteria and purpose of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Is his work worthy of the Prize?

• Yes, Bill Wilson was a genius. Just read any book he authored for proof.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alcoholics Anonymous is just a bunch of wino's talking in a room. Not in the same league as Ghandi.

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Neo_Anderson
For your information, Bill Wilson is the guy who co-founded Alcoholics Anonymous.
I think his work was so influential and has such an amazing impact on alcohol abuse and recovery that he did indeed deserve this Prize. From his first AA meeting in 1935 spun all kinds of recovery groups like it, such as Overeaters Anonymous, Gambler's Anonymous, nicotine Anonymous, et-cetera. Inspiration of this magnitude can only be matched with the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem with giving out prices like the Nobel prize because the criteria is broadly defined. There is always a thought that someone else should have received the prize.

What loaded poll answers...

So far, two people voted against Bill Wilson receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, with 0 voting in favor. That means there are two people who have never read Bill Wilson's work, have never seen former alcoholics rebuild their families, and have done no research or reading about AA whatsoever voted against Bill Wilson receiving the Prize.
This disturbs me greatly.

Neo_Anderson said:
So far, two people voted against Bill Wilson receiving the Nobel Peace Prize, with 0 voting in favor. That means there are two people who have never read Bill Wilson's work, have never seen former alcoholics rebuild their families, and have done no research or reading about AA whatsoever voted against Bill Wilson receiving the Prize.
This disturbs me greatly.

I have voted against it and I have done the research I`ve had members of my family go to AA sure it works for some people... how does that deserve a peace prize?

The criteria for the nobel peace prize:

...shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Then again, it's not like that criteria means much lately.

I see absolutely no point in this thread. Locked.

Related to Should Bill Wilson have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

1. Should Bill Wilson have won the Nobel Peace Prize?

This question is highly debated and there is no clear answer. Some argue that Wilson's work in founding Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and promoting sobriety has had a significant impact on global peace, while others argue that the Nobel Peace Prize should be reserved for individuals who have directly worked towards promoting peace on a larger scale.

2. What was Bill Wilson's contribution to the world?

Bill Wilson is most well-known for co-founding Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in 1935. This organization has helped millions of individuals struggling with alcohol addiction and has had a significant impact on the world. Wilson also wrote the popular book "Alcoholics Anonymous" which has been translated into numerous languages and has been influential in the treatment of addiction worldwide.

3. How did Bill Wilson's work impact global peace?

Some argue that Wilson's work in founding Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and promoting sobriety has had a ripple effect on global peace. This is because addiction often contributes to violence, crime, and other negative behaviors. By helping individuals overcome their addiction, it can lead to a more peaceful and harmonious society.

4. Who decides who wins the Nobel Peace Prize?

The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a committee of five members appointed by the Norwegian Parliament. They are responsible for reviewing nominations and selecting the winner based on the criteria set by Alfred Nobel's will, which includes promoting fraternity between nations, reducing standing armies, and promoting peace congresses.

5. Has anyone from the field of addiction treatment ever won the Nobel Peace Prize?

No, no one from the field of addiction treatment has ever won the Nobel Peace Prize. However, there have been individuals who have won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for their contributions to addiction treatment, such as Dr. Eric Kandel in 2000 for his work on the neurobiology of addiction.