Shortest time to save the swimmer offshore (geometry) ?

In summary: So, if the distance between the light and the object is d1 and the distance to the water is d2, the shortest path between the light and the swimmer is the path that goes through the point (d1, L), (d2, L), and (d1, H).Rght. So, if the distance between the light and the object is d1 and the distance to the water is d2, the shortest path between the light and the swimmer is the path that goes through the point (d1, L), (d2, L), and (d1, H).
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Imagine a life guard situated a distance d1 from the water. He sees a swimmer in distress a distance L to his left and distance d2 from the shore. Given that his speed on land and water are v1 and v2 respectively, with v1 > v2, what trajectory should he choose to get to the swimmer in the least time? Pick some trajectory composed of two straight line segments in each medium (why?) and give a relation for the angles of the two segments with respect to the normal to the shoreline.

Homework Equations

Ha

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I include the diffraction of water, or should I not because this is a human? I'm assuming that I should use diffraction of water and so the corresponding optics equations because of the implication by "..some trajectory composed of two straight lines in each medium". If I didn't include diffraction, the angle wouldn't change, it would just be a straight line all the way through?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait.. are his different velocities on and off shore going to be the cause of the different angles?

Vitani11 said:
Wait.. are his different velocities on and off shore going to be the cause of the different angles?
Yes, it is the reason for the two different angles. This is not a question of diffraction, it is simpler than that. Note that in each medium, th emotion must be a straight line.

Likes Vitani11
nrqed said:
This is not a question of diffraction
Quite so - it is a question of refraction.

Likes Vitani11
haruspex said:
Quite so - it is a question of refraction.
I did not want to give the solution outright so I did not mention refraction :-)

If your point is that refraction is an application of diffraction, I did not get into this because I did not think that the student was at a level of having seen how to prove refraction through Huygen's principle, I thought that by "diffraction" the OP was thinking about something quite separate from refraction. But I may have been wrong.

Likes Vitani11
Still in my first year of physics related courses so I'm not "polished". As a result I tend to mix things up like that. Anyway, thank you this has helped.

Suppose there is someone dumb like me who doesn't understand the relationship this problem has with optics (it appears to be a kinematics problem at first glance), how can it be solved without the optics approach?

Delta² said:
Suppose there is someone dumb like me who doesn't understand the relationship this problem has with optics (it appears to be a kinematics problem at first glance), how can it be solved without the optics approach?
What general rule governs the route light takes between two points?

haruspex said:
What general rule governs the route light takes between two points?

I guess it takes the route that it takes the shortest time to travel it among all other possible routes.

Delta² said:
I guess it takes the route that it takes the shortest time to travel it among all other possible routes.
Rght.

Related to Shortest time to save the swimmer offshore (geometry) ?

1. How is the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore calculated?

The shortest time to save a swimmer offshore is calculated by finding the shortest distance between the swimmer and the shore and dividing it by the speed of the rescuer. This gives the time it would take for the rescuer to reach the swimmer.

2. What factors affect the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore?

The main factors that affect the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore are the distance between the swimmer and the shore, the speed of the rescuer, and any obstacles in the path of the rescuer.

3. Can the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore be improved?

Yes, the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore can be improved by increasing the speed of the rescuer or minimizing any obstacles in the path. Using a faster and more efficient rescue technique can also improve the shortest time.

4. How does the geometry of the shoreline impact the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore?

The geometry of the shoreline can significantly impact the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore. A straight shoreline allows for a direct and faster path to the swimmer, while a curved shoreline may require the rescuer to take a longer route, increasing the time it takes to reach the swimmer.

5. Is the shortest time to save a swimmer offshore always the best approach in a rescue situation?

The shortest time to save a swimmer offshore is often the most efficient approach in a rescue situation. However, it is important for rescuers to also consider the safety of themselves and the swimmer. In some cases, a slightly longer route may be safer and more feasible in a rescue situation.