Shortest period of a simple pendulum

In summary, the question is asking for the distance d that will result in the shortest possible period for a physical pendulum consisting of a uniform disk with a radius of 0.2m and a mass of 5.6 kg. The equation for the period is T=2\Pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgd}}, where I is the moment of inertia around the pivot point. The moment of inertia is calculated as I=\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}. By setting the derivative of the equation equal to zero, the minimum period can be found. However, in this case, as d approaches 0, both the moment of inertia and the period also approach 0. Therefore, the minimum period cannot
Scarlitt14
A uniform disk of radius 0.2m and 5.6 kg mass has a small hole distance d from the disk's center that can serve as a pivot point. What should be the distance d so that this physical pendulum will have the shortest possible period? What will be the period at this distance?

So, I know that the period is defined as: T=2[tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgd}}[/tex]
And I know that the moment of Inertia is I=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The first part of the question, which I omitted, asks to find the distance d for a specified period and I got that portion with no problem. I figured that I needed to take the derivative of the equation and set it equal to zero to find the minimum period but when I do that I simple come up with zero... Not quite sure where I am making the error here!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All I can deduce from your equation is that as d→0, mgd→0 so the fraction of I/mgd→0 and T→0 as well.

Scarlitt14 said:
And I know that the moment of Inertia is I=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mr[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I is the pendulum's moment of inertia around the pivot, not around the center of mass.

Related to Shortest period of a simple pendulum

What is the shortest period of a simple pendulum?

The shortest period of a simple pendulum is determined by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. It is given by the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the shortest period of a simple pendulum?

The shortest period of a simple pendulum is primarily affected by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and mass of the pendulum also play a role in determining the period.

How can the shortest period of a simple pendulum be measured?

The shortest period of a simple pendulum can be measured by measuring the length of the pendulum and the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. This can be done using a timer or stopwatch.

What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its shortest period?

The relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its shortest period is inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the shortest period also increases, and vice versa.

How does the shortest period of a simple pendulum change with different values of acceleration due to gravity?

The shortest period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity. This means that as the value of g increases, the shortest period also increases, and vice versa.