Shortest Distance in Euclidean Geometry: Proven or Definition?

In summary, in Euclidean geometry, the shortest distance is the perpendicular one. However, whether this can be proven or is simply a definition depends on the definition of a line. If a line is defined as a function with a constant slope, it can be proven using calculus of variations. In Euclidean geometry, a line's definition is not rigorously defined. Therefore, it can be argued that the shortest distance between two points is a line, but it cannot be definitively proven.
aaaa202
In euclidean geometry I believe the shortest distance is the perpendicular one. Can this be proven or is it a definition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your definition of a line. If it's a function with a constant slope, it can be proven with calculus of variations, I think. I don't think in Euclidian Geometry a line's rigorously defined.

EDIT: Never mind, I though you were asking if it could be proven that the shortest distance between two points is a line. See scurty's answer for a better reply

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
In euclidean geometry I believe the shortest distance is the perpendicular one. Can this be proven or is it a definition?

Not enough clarification here. Do you mean the shortest distance from a point not on a line to the line itself? I imagine it can be solved by considering the perpendicular line and another line emanating from the point. You will have a right triangle and the other line not perpendicular is the hypotenuse of the triangle, so therefore longer.

The length of the hypotenuse, c, of a right triangle, with legs a and b, satisfies [itex]c^2= a^2+ b^2[/itex] and so the hypotenuse is loner than either leg. Do you see why that means that the perpendicular line (one of the legs) is shorte than any othe line? (Ahh- that's essentially what scurty said.)

Related to Shortest Distance in Euclidean Geometry: Proven or Definition?

1. What is the definition of shortest distance in Euclidean geometry?

The shortest distance in Euclidean geometry is the distance between two points that can be measured using a straight line. It is the shortest path that connects two points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space.

2. How is the shortest distance calculated in Euclidean geometry?

The shortest distance can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In Euclidean geometry, this theorem can be applied to any two points to find the shortest distance between them.

3. Is the concept of shortest distance in Euclidean geometry proven or a definition?

The concept of shortest distance in Euclidean geometry is both proven and a definition. It is proven through the use of mathematical proofs and theorems, such as the Pythagorean theorem, and it is also defined as the shortest path between two points. It is a fundamental concept in Euclidean geometry that has been extensively studied and verified by mathematicians.

4. How does the concept of shortest distance relate to other geometric concepts?

The concept of shortest distance is closely related to other geometric concepts, such as lines, angles, and triangles. In fact, the shortest distance between two points can be seen as the length of the straight line that connects them, and this line can also be seen as the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the two points and a third point on the line.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the concept of shortest distance in Euclidean geometry?

Yes, the concept of shortest distance in Euclidean geometry has numerous real-world applications. It is used in navigation and map-making, in calculating the distance between two locations, and in finding the most efficient route between two points. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving distance and to optimize designs.