Question concerning rotation etc

• Thread starter JamesL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the equation for the angular speed of a wheel changing with time due to friction is given as: angular speed = (initial speed)*e^(-phi*time), where phi is an unknown constant. Using this information, the initial speed and phi can be determined by plugging in the values of the angular speed changing from 4.86 rad/s to 3.76 rad/s in 7.17 seconds. After solving for phi, the magnitude of the angular acceleration can be found by differentiating the angular speed equation, giving the value of 0.167306. However, this may not be the correct answer and further clarification may be needed.
JamesL
Heres the question:

As a result of friction, the angular speed of a wheel changes with time according to the following equation :

angular speed = (initial speed)*e^(-phi*time)

where phi is some unknown constant.

The angular speed changes from an initial speed of 4.86 rad/s to 3.76 rad/s in 7.17 seconds.

Hint: use this information to determine the initial speed and phi.

Determine the magnitude of the angular acceleration after 2.19 seconds.

----------------------------------
Heres how i tried to do it.

using the equation given, i said:
3.76 = 4.86*e^(-phi * 7.17)... and got phi = .035791

Then using the equation again, i got the angular speed after 2.19 s as 4.4936 rad/s.

So i tried to determine the magnitude of the acceleration by saying :
4.4936 = 4.86 + (angular accel)*(2.19)

and so getting .167306 as the angular acceleration...

However, my online homework submission site told me this was wrong. I am not sure where i went wrong. The only thing i can think of is that, possibly, 4.86 is not the right value for the initial velocity (only thought of this bc of the hint given in the problem.. It says to use the above info to find the initial speed, but it is given to you in plain english?)... but i don't really know..

Anybody want to try to help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have more luck by simply differentiating the angular speed.

[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} = \alpha[/tex]

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cookiemonster
You'd have more luck by simply differentiating the angular speed.

[tex]\frac{d\omega}{dt} = \alpha[/tex]

cookiemonster

I appreciate the response... could you elaborate a bit on how to do that?

nevermind. i got it. thanks for the help again.

What is rotation?

Rotation is the movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. It involves the object turning or spinning on its axis, resulting in a circular motion.

What is the difference between rotation and revolution?

Rotation refers to the movement of an object around its own axis, while revolution refers to the movement of an object around another object or point.

How is rotation measured?

Rotation can be measured in degrees, revolutions, or radians. Degrees and revolutions are commonly used to measure rotation in everyday life, while radians are more commonly used in scientific and mathematical contexts.

What factors affect the rate of rotation?

The rate of rotation of an object can be affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. It can also be affected by external factors such as friction and applied forces.

Why is understanding rotation important in science?

Rotation is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to explain many natural phenomena, such as the rotation of planets and the motion of objects in space. Understanding rotation also helps in the design and analysis of machines and structures that involve rotating parts, such as engines and turbines.