Need some help with Applications and Problem Solving .

In summary: Therefore, the width of the mat is 2 cm.In summary, the width of the mat for a 12 cm by 8 cm photo that is surrounded by a mat with the same area as the photo is 2 cm. This is found by setting the total area (photo + border) equal to double the area of the photo and solving for the width of the border.
travishillier
Need some help with Aplications and Problem Solving ...

Framing a Photo - A photo measuring 12 cm by 8cm is to be surrounded by a mat before framing. The width of the mat is to be the same on all sides of the photo. The area of tht mat is to equal the area of the photo. Find the width of the mat.

Could anybody show me a sulotion to this problem, I am having trouble on this one ... LMK Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
It needs to be 12 X 8 which has an area of 96 cm. We will call the sides of the frame 'a' and we know that all the sides have a length of 'a'. the area of the area inclosed by the frame is just a*a. So we need to take the total area enclosed (a^2) then subtract the area of the picture inside (12*8) and set equal to the final area that the frame takes up (96cm). 96=a^2 -96
a^2=192
a=192^(1/2)=13.85cm

The width of the mat is (if I read correctly) the width of the border that surrounds the picture.

The problem now becomes:

If I have a photo with area 96 and then put a border around the picture with the same area my total area (photo+border) will become 192.
Now this equals (8+2x)(12+2x), because the photo has the measurement 8*12 and these lengths increase with twice the width of the border (which I call x) which is the same on all four sides. Now if you solve (8+2x)(12+2x) = 192, the answer will be x = 2.

1. What is the purpose of applications and problem solving in science?

Applications and problem solving play a crucial role in science as they allow scientists to apply their knowledge and skills to real-world situations. This helps in understanding and solving complex scientific problems and can lead to the development of practical solutions and advancements in various fields.

2. What are some common techniques used in problem solving?

Some common techniques used in problem solving include brainstorming, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using logical reasoning and critical thinking, and seeking guidance from experts or previous research.

3. How can I improve my problem solving skills?

Improving problem solving skills takes practice and patience. Some ways to improve include regularly challenging yourself with new and challenging problems, seeking feedback and learning from mistakes, and staying organized and focused while working on a problem.

4. Can problem solving be applied to everyday life?

Yes, problem solving is a skill that can be applied to many aspects of everyday life. It involves identifying and analyzing problems, finding potential solutions, and implementing the most effective one. This can be useful in personal, professional, and social situations.

5. How do applications and problem solving contribute to the advancement of science?

Applications and problem solving play a crucial role in the advancement of science by allowing scientists to explore and understand complex phenomena, develop new technologies and methods, and solve practical problems in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.